PModels A4F

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, May 30, 2005.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Hi, while at the beach this weekend I finished up an old favourite from Pmodels, an A4F Skyhawk. The kit was a download, released in 1/50 scale without a cockpit. I screenshot some bitmaps and enlarged them to 1/33 scale, then "grafted" the Modelcard A4D2 cockpit to the PModel aircraft. Surprisingly it fit with only slight shoreing up here and there. The canopy is a home vacuformed one, using the kits opague one as a template, casting a sculpey mold from it, then vacuforming up a few. The rest of the kit is stock, including a neat stand that comes with the kit. The aircraft is armed with a couple shrikes and a pair of Mk 82s, in a sort of early "ironhand" strike configuration. These PModel kits are awesome, just the right blend of detail and buildability. They all have enough detail to enlarge with no problems, and fit like the proverbial glove.
  2. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Beautiful, Ted! Enlarging is fun, isn't it? I admire the canopy very much; so clear, and so beautifully shaped. - Leif

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Ted,

Beautiful build! Wow, Makes me want one, I remember building the plastic kits of this aircraft back when I was younger and they were "new lol
    Great job borught back memories.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  4. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Nice build of one of the few Navy birds I respect 8v) Nice cockpit addition also. I'm curious about the canopy. Was it made with a thick, clear plastic? It looks to me like it was.

The A-4F was the first kit I purchased from P-models. Started the model at designed scale and halfway through, got confused on the instructions and turned the model into something Tim Burton would love to use in a movie. I do need to try it again someday.
  5. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Hi, Cmdrted! :D

You've built an absolutely wonderful model using the PModel download. I also have this download, one of my favorite jets, but haven't tried building it yet...your building is certainly inspiration to pull it out again!

Great job on the canopy details, it adds so much to the kit as designed.

Excellent job...and great photos too!

6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks guys, this was the kit that got me started on PModels, I think I bought them all. Ash, the canopy was made with thick clear plastic @.020 thick, I have used .015 from micromodels and they do come out a bit thinner and clearer, I bought an 8x4 foot sheet of the .020 as no one makes or releases anything thinner in that size, so I had to use the stuff, lest wifey brow beat me for "wasting" money on a piece of hobby that I don't use!
  7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Ash, a ps to the last post, the real confusing parts are the air intakes, it took 2-3 tries before I figured it out, the other is the transition piece that you can see as a lighter card stock as I screwed that up but was too far in to realize. You have to score it only half way thru to make the transition smooth, if you score it the whole way thru it ends up "wasp waisted" and I had to print another part on another printer to fix it up. It actually goes together well except those two points. The tail sections can use a toothpick or some type of spar, if you hold the bird the tail pieces kinda flap. Well I'll fix it on the A4E version.
  8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The red arrow is where you do not want to score the pink is where you score to and then stop :!:
  9. barry

barry Active Member

Beautiful job and a fantastic clear canopy looks like your hands are back on track.

10. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind when I start the Scooter again.