Please - Some Help With Identification & History

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by juswheels, Apr 26, 2009.

1. juswheels

juswheels New Member

I'm new here and thank you for allowing me access. I appreciate it.

While I'm new here, I'm not new to collecting. Been at it since 1988. My model collection is rather small and although they are a favorite, my main like is dime store toys from the 40's and 50's.

Anyway, enough about me. Yesterday I went to a Garage/Estate sale. Saw and purchased two models that I'd never seen before. They were paper ships and both are built but in outstanding condition. One was a Model of the "Queen Mary" and the other (much larger) was a paper model of the "Normandie".

They were so unusual, I couldn't resist. My research indicates they were some sort of promotion from Kellogg's. But that's about all I've learned.

The history of a toy is about as important to me, as the toy itself. Please can someone provide a time-line for these models. In over 20 years of collecting these are the first I've seen, so I am presuming they're not common.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS: If I've used the wrong forum, I apologize and please feel free to move this post.
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Wow ... sounds interesting.

Can you take a couple of camera pictures of what you have?
  3. juswheels

juswheels New Member

Absolutely - But I don't know how to post them here. - I'll give it a try
  4. juswheels

juswheels New Member

5. juswheels

juswheels New Member

6. jdmcomp

jdmcomp New Member

7. juswheels

juswheels New Member

Thank you for the link. I've looked at much of it but of course, haven't read every word. What I'm not seeing is any reference to "Kellogg's". On the smaller "Queen Mary" there is a folded flap on the bottom of the hull. It reads:

"Buy Kellogg's Corn Flakes and get the other Model Passenger Liners in the series:
    Empress of Britain

For what it's worth, there is also a small color depiction of the corn flakes box. It's done with a white background, red "Kellogg's" and black "Corn Flakes", then a red, "WK Kellogg", for William Keith Kellogg. This style of box goes back at least 50 years, maybe more. The Queen Mary is just abput the right size for a cereal box but the Normandie is much too large (26 inches). The printing on the paper, including colors and style are identical for both ships. I'm convinced they came from the same place.

It's possible that Mr. Rigby designed the ships I have but the web site sells completed books of his designs. I looked through the listed models from his "Ships" book and none of the above are listed.

I'll keep reading and please folks, keep posting what you might know about these.

Respects & Thanks.
  8. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Not sure how much you have researched so I will post this information in case you did not run across it yet. It is a website that mentions the models. You could use the contact info and see if you can get any history of the models.
    From the site
    Maybe you can get some more information about Queen Mary and the Normandie.

Gasoline Alley Antiques has the SS Normandie.
    From the site :
    It has some pictures of the model pages. Looks like another site you could contact to see if they have any additional information.
  9. charliec

charliec Active Member

10. juswheels

juswheels New Member

Thank you for the information. I looked at the advertisement and keeping in mind what I paid, they may very well be reproductions. In fact, I'm more inclined to say, they are. But there are no photos within the repro ad, so I can't compare.

I ask this in all respect and there isn't any intention to argue. They may very well be reproductions but the hull size of the Normandie is exactly the same size as the original page posted in the link provided by "SCEtoAux", just above. The additional link he also posted to: "Geoblox" does contain some photos. The lower photo is the unbuilt Queen Mary and if it's real, it also contains the "Kellogg's" advertising. Actually it not a great issue with me, although an original would be nice. Mostly just trying to ascertain their origin and now I know where the originals came from and I thank you all.

However would like to understand so please feel free to advise. Since the Queen Mary still contains the advertising from Kellogg's on the base flap, I'm wondering, just wondering, why Kellogg's would allow the use of their name and an image of their product. I certainly can imagine that may be why there's no images available within the reproduction advertisement. I don't know!