Please make this simple to understand...

vanda32547

Jun 4, 2002
Miami Florida
www.geocities.com
I am thinking about DCC control for a new layout I am building and am new to the whole DCC system. :rolleyes:

Here are my questions;
1. Do all DCC systems control turnouts, sound & lights from the engines?
2. Does the sound come from the engines?
3. Does the decoder in the engine do all of these things for me?
4. What extras do I have to buy in order to
1. Run about 6 trains
2. Control turnouts
3. Integrate track signals and crossings
4. and finally have some cool sounds coming from my engines

Attached is a rough drawing of my intended layout each square is 1 foot. Thanks for any clearification you can provide before I make this investment.

Regards,

Gosh... what a crappy picture this is :( but you get the idea.

Attachments

• Layout.jpg
    Layout.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 383

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Bob, I'm only familiar with Digitrax, all their systems will throw turnouts. I suspect all the others will as well. The switch machines are controlled by a stationary decoder, there are several you can choose from. Some for twin coil machines, others for slow motion motor types, some control more than one, some offer feedback to indicate which way the turnout is thrown, this can be used for signalling,etc. So all you are really doing is selecting the address of the stationary decoder and, with Digitrax throttles, selecting either thrown or closed, as I recall. I do not use this feature. Depending on how many turnouts you have, this can get pretty expensive. This is something I would consider if I had a dispatcher, as he would throw all turnouts and have readback on their status. Because I, so far, operate primarily with only one or two other people, I find it more satisfactory to install toggle switches in the fascia to control my slow motion motors and not deal with selecting a decoders address while running a loco and blowing for grade crossings, etc. Too much button pushing for me! And what engineer ever was able to throw switches from his cab? When I throw a mainline turnout, I pretend it was done by a dispatcher, otherwise I stop the train and allow time for the brakeman to throw the switch.

The sound and lights, as well as the turnouts, are controlled from your throttle. The sound decoder and speaker are installed in the loco, or tender. Some people install sound in a freight car if they have small locos which will not accomodate a decoder/speaker. You need to improve the pick up on the freight car to get all wheel pickup, as sound that cuts out when travelling over turnouts is more annoying than pleasing. Yes, the sound will come from the engine if that is where you installed the speaker. You can check Tony's site for pictures of installations, that may help you understand. www.ttx-dcc.com

Extras: Decoder for each loco. Stationary decoders for throwing turnouts. Track signals and crossings is a topic unto itself. Digitrax offers a signalling system, check their pages. www.digitrax.com

Now you're talking money. I strongly recommend that you stay away from this for now. Get to know the basics before committing any cash to this. There are other firms who make grade crossing signal activators and such, they will work with DC and DCC. They use infrared detectors and pcbs. This is really another subject altogether. I'm not sure which other DCC manufacturers offer what in regards to signalling.

One last note about your track plan. It appears you have reverse loops at each turnback curve. Gap both rails at each end of both turnback curves, at least a train length long. connect the rails to the output of a reversing module, an extra I didn't mention above. The input of the module gets connected to the rail output of the DCC booster, or bus wire. This allows those crossovers to not be reverse blocks themselves, in other words the north rail of all trackage will be one polarity, the south rail the other. This is a bit different than what DC'ers are used to. I, or someone else, can explain this further if needed.You may want to read the Big book of DCC or similar material, it will help clear things up for you.

CN1

May 6, 2003
vanda32547
I am thinking about DCC control for a new layout I am building and am new to the whole DCC system.

Congratulations on your choice! You'll love DCC :thumb:

Here are my questions;
1. Do all DCC systems control turnouts, sound & lights from the engines?

DCC system (irrespective of brand) will control the decoders. If the decoders is in the loco, it will control the loco directions, speed, momentum, lights (& light effects) and sounds.

If the Decoder is a "stationary" one, it will control switches, semaphore signal, turntable and other accesories

2. Does the sound come from the engines?

The sound will come from where you have installed the speaker. Most people install the speaker in the locomotive body.

3. Does the decoder in the engine do all of these things for me?

It depends on the decoder. Simplest one (and the cheapest) will control direction, speed, lights (on and off) and momentum. The more advance ones will control the same thing plus: various speed steps, ditch lights, strobes, dim lights, sounds and more..

4. What extras do I have to buy in order to
1. Run about 6 trains
2. Control turnouts
3. Integrate track signals and crossings
4. and finally have some cool sounds coming from my engines

1-At least 6 Decoders and a DCC system
2-Stationary decoders
3-After-market block detection system or DCC manufacturer system
4-Decoders with sound

BTW nice layout diagram.

Hope this help :wave:

vanda32547

Jun 4, 2002
Miami Florida
www.geocities.com
Thanks for all the great info. Here is another question...can I buy locomotives with decoders already installed so they work right out of the box?

How does the cost compare to doing it myself? (Keep in mind I am an electronics klutz)

Thanks,

CN1

May 6, 2003
Bob:

Some locomotive do have the Decoder already installed (with or without sound) but the cost is more then "do-it-yourself". If you have the $$$ and are not keen on instaling the Decoders yourself, this may be the way to go.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
A quick look at Tony's site shows average $40 higher price for locos with decoders installed ove the same loco without decoder. Probably a $15.00 decoder, so he's charging $25 to do the install. Buy a loco with decoder installed, check it out then you'll be in a position to decide what you'll do in the future.

Gary

Bikerdad

Oct 17, 2003
Southwestern US
Visit site
Manufacturers are beginning to install decoders into locos from the factory. In N-Scale, only Atlas is doing this, in HO a variety of companies are doing it. HO locos can also be had with sound installed already as well, but to my knowledge, no N locos are thus equipped. On the stationary side of the house, scale doesn't matter.

So, your options are constrained somewhat by your chosen scale, which you didna indicate.