Please help!

Spartalee

Dec 8, 2006
Ok guys I googled for a page to help me with my train set and this seems to be the best so here is my problem

When I was 4 years old (1991) my grandfather bought me a train set for my birthday (he was a modle train lover) and the set he bought me is a Lionel, Santa Fe Special Set. In case you aren't familiar with this set the locomotive blows steam and has a front light and it came with a few cars (random industial cars, coal car.) and of course track.

Well he passed away about a year ago now and I found this set in my closet at his home. It has been dormant for roughly 4years now and I set it up hoping to see it in action again but to my dismay nothing happened. I hooked it up correctly the engine is on, the 3 pronged track clamp where the power goes to the tracks was on correctly. basically no technical problems I could see ,the locomotive seems ok because the passenger car we purchsed a few years back for it didnt light up. so either both the locomotive and the car are messed up or its a power track problem. any suggestions on how to fix it? a friend who has trains said I had to clean it? how do I do this?

Also if oyu are familiar with this set could you confirm it is HO scale. I am not sure if it is, I am not to familiar with classifications.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Lionel 3-rail-track is O-scale and it uses an AC electrical system.

Here in HO we use 2-rail-track DC system which is kind of different.. (sorry, I don't know anything about the AC system in Lionels). If you post over at the G/O/S forum you will probably find someone who can help.

Good luck!

Alan Bickley

Dec 22, 2003
Bicester, Oxford, UK
Visit site
I'm not too sure about the 3 rail system you mention, but it reminds me about 1991. I was 14 at the time and my Grandfather gave me his small collection of Hornby OO rolling stock and track. Even though I have moved to modelling HO I still have most of those old items that I keep under the layout baseboards. It's strange how people's stories can jog other people's memories!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
You can clean the track with a Brite Boy rubbing block, or in the case of Lionel, I've heard of train collectors using 400 or 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper on the rails. The wheels on the locomotive and cars as well as the pick ups for the center rail could also be dirty.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi Spartalee and welcome.
We do have a number of members who might be familiar with the set you own and have helpful suggestions. This is the HO forum but that's not really a problem. As Tom mentioned , however, you may get more notice in the GOS forum or the General Talk. I could move your thread there if you you don't get some advice about the set soon (if you'd like).

Regards!
Ralph

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
I have fooled around some with Lionel, but not much. However, no matter what the gauge, when there is a running problem, I always start out the same. Put the locomotive on its back, turn the power up, then touch the wires to the wheels, or contact points. On Lionel ( O gauge) this would be the center contact and a wheel. Like they said HO is DC and O is AC.

Lynn

Spartalee

Dec 8, 2006
Wow guys...thanks for your help but it was a malfunction in the user lol.....I was putting the piece that goes to the track on all 3 rails instead of just 2...........I feel dumb now....thanks for the help lol