Please help! Im on a time crunch

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by modelmaker9, Mar 4, 2007.

1. modelmaker9

modelmaker9 New Member

Hey guys,
    I have a very important question to ask you. I was walking around an antique store and I saw a marklin train. I am a collector and was very interested in it. There were a total of four of them. They were "O" gauge I think but I am not sure. The main locomotive was a wind up "clockwork" with the numbers R 880 under the marklin symbol. Im positive its Marklin but was wondering how much is was worth. The price tag said $275 but I could probably get $250. There were also to other "tin" trains that were O gauge that were for $150. Please let me know if these are a good deal. They were probably around the late 1940's anyone have any info. Thanks so much, I cant wait to go back and maybe purchase them!
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I don't know that the old windups are worth that much.
    The collector's value seems to be in electric trains but there could be a nitche that I'm missing.

Looking at eBay, I saw one old American flyer windup selling for $485.
    Nothing else was over $60.
    Nothing Marklin was even close to that.

Take that for what it's worth.
  3. modelmaker9

modelmaker9 New Member

Ya thats what I saw too. Thanks.
    Anyone else if you have any information please reply. Thanks. I am very curious about the marklin trains. Does anyone know of a good ENGLISH website about collecting them. They all seem to be in german!

4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I'm not a collector but I will take a shot at it. If I'm right and it is a 0-4-0 wind up steamer then with the tender it should bring around $125 average.
  5. Greg

Greg New Member

modelmaker9, if you run across a German website you want to translate put the URL into the box here and tell it to translate from German to English.
  6. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I would post the question to the Prewar O Gauge Trains group at Yahoo: as there may be some people there who know Marklin. Marklin is the biggest name in Germany (bigger than Lionel is here in the States) and invented every popular track gauge except N. I would be surprised if any Marklin train you found here dated to the 1940s though; Marklin didn't sell a whole lot here in the States after WWI.

I know Marklin windups are well regarded because they run very well--not to mention the prestige of the name--but I don't know anything about their value.
  7. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

8. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

sorry was a double post