Pleasant Dilemma!

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by FlareBaffled, Jun 17, 2009.

1. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

I am currently looking to blow some 'spare' cash ( don't tell the missus), but don't know where to commit!

Currently I am running a XT2 1/8th nitro buggy, and it's a lot of fun and quite nippy...but I fancy something different. Have around £300 to spend

ShengQi do some tempting 1/5th scale petrol engined stuff, but I am a bit shy about spending a load of cash on something I may well not be able to get spares for....and I know from experience, if you use a car properly on the rough stuff, you will break things. Mind you...apart from flipping and cracking the tail, the XT2 has only needed some minor tweaks and a replacement clutch housing after I wore the gears away. It's stock apart from a failsafe.

What is there out there that is worth getting?
  2. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

3. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Helicopters seem to be fun, but then a WWI Spad has a lot of appeal...Are you wanting to stay on the ground (apart from flipping)? I'd guess you like racing they race R/C sailboats?
  4. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

The only thing I am ruling out is boats. Love hte idea of a decent RC boat, but there isn't a decent sized boating pond anywhere nearby.

Flying wise, isn't there a need for insurance etc. in case you end up flying into someone in the park?
  5. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

I think this is the winner for me :

Has a nice .28ci motor, which should be good enough to sort me out, and the price is right. There's one in my local ModelHobbies store too. Was out yesterday burning a few tanks of nitro in my XT2 until the steering servo battery ran down :)
    On the loose stuff, she does excellent 4 wheel donuts, scattering the dirt all over the place.

Now I got to clean her........

The alternative is to buy a .28 motor .... or, as the shop temptingly showed me, a .30 that would fit for £179, and THAT would make my XT2 really rocket!
  6. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Please have a friend shoot some video. Upload to Youtube & give us the link. Be great to see one of those in action.
  7. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Will give it a try :)

There are some vids of the Thunder Tiger ST1 out there, and it looks pretty good fun on the rough stuff.

I have also found some info that should let me put a Traxxas Savage bodyshell on my XT2 which fits really well, and is something I plan to try out. Willpost some pics of that if I get around to doing it!
  8. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Picked up the Thunder Tiger today, the servo battery pack is on charge (never bother with ordinary batteries for the servo) and the pre-run check over is done.

Tomorrow, breaking in the motor will begin..... unless the damn thunderstorms come back! Nothing but torrential rain all day, Worse still...the workplace is flooded and the boss wants me to go in on a Sunday and help mop up. Doesn't he realise I am sitting here with a brand spanking new RC Truggy that needs christening....wall1
  9. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Thought you Londoners were used to rain :)
  10. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Oh...we are....but we usually prefer our rain OUTSIDE the buildings!

Still...gave the beast a quick fire up in the garden and managed to overheat the clutch :curse:. Hot bell housing and a smouldering clutch are NOT good news! I was getting the idle set up without noticing I had left off the cable tie on the airfilter manifold and must have been getting an air leak. No wonder she wasn't running right! Idels was too fast, and the buggy was creeping with the brakes on! Still..sorted that, and now I need to get her out into an open space to break her in properly. Got the failsafe installed, and am ready to go. Would be out there now but it looks like another storm is brewing. Not keen on running her in the rain...and doubly not keen on running her in an electrical storm!

Did notice one thing though..... these .28's are THIRSTY!
  11. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Lucky thing no permanent damage resulted. Looking forward to photos & performance review.
  12. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

First off, she comes pretty much RTR. The wheels needed attaching, and there was no 17mm spanner in the kit. The stock wheels have quite a small space around the wheel nuts, so some work was needed to get started. I had an old 17mm socket that was ground down so it fitted, and the wheels were on. Would have been a REAL pain for the less mechanically minded.

The box does not include a servo battery pack..which again, would have tripped up the unprepared. I knew I was going to need one, so bought it, along with the failsafe, straight from the shop. It turned out the battery pack I bought was not the best fit for the space available. A flat 5 cell pack would fit better than the hump-pack I bought, but the pack I bought does fit, and has a decent capacity. These are the downsides.

The motor from new was pretty tight to turn over, and I needed to loosen the glow plug to get it spinning first time. She fired up nicely enough though. There was no cable-tie on the inlet manifold which caused me some issues out of the box too, and resulted in some problems. A slighlty cooked clutch was the end result, and had I not been running it richened up for break in, worse things could have happened. Again, a thorough check would have spotted I learnt another lesson! The hump-pack needs 14hrs for a full charge....its the biggest one the shop I had naturally skimped on the charge to test things, and could go no further as the power started to drop and a halt was called. Wierd servo behaviour is the usual sign of this.

DAY 1: summary.

This is a NICE truggy. The motor is clearly potent, but the overall package is definitely not for the first timer. Some parts were not simple to get together, and the receiver/battery box is not the best design. When you have got the bugs ironed out, and everything squeezed in, it looks good under the bodyshell. The layout is good, and the fuel pipes have sensible clips to get them out of the way. The stock setup out of the box was right for break-in...and I checked it by winding it in to see. Then I would it back out 2.5 turns as recommmended. Couldn't run it in the back's just not big enough. So the next job is to head for the park and some open spaces. The failsafe is fitted and tested and visibly closes the throttle and applies the brake. Never run a serious nitro RC car without one unless you know you can run faster than it can .....and with the right setup, that would be around 50mph. TEST IT too, to make sure it operates correctly when the transmitter is switched off to simulate loss of signal. Next job ...breaking in.
  13. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

great review making me anxious for photos.
  14. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Day: several

Following some unseaonable hot weather in hte UK during which I was not inclined to get roasted inthe park let alone play with the new toy, I finally got enough weather to go out and break in the beast.

She is a ssweet little mover. Already I can tell she turns well, and the stock servo for the steering has plenty of power and response. For break in she is running badly rich which is killing the power, but as I got to the end of one tank of fuel she leaned out a bit, and showed what she is capable of. The motor switched from a stuttering mess to a crisp highly responsive monster that will be a real joy to drive. It was just a glimpse..but it showed what is to come. The .28ci motor in this truggy has power aplenty. Break in is nearly done ( just want to run another couple of tankfulls through ) and when I start to lean her off a bit, I expect good things from this engine.

Steering is already showing as good. Turns are tight, and the steering servo that comes with it is good enough to cope. Stock tyres give good traction, and the brakes stop it quickly. Starting is easy after the first few goes, and does not need more than half the pull to fire.

She's not even fully functional yet, and already I am liking this thing.

Good to see she compare well to my first serious RC car, and as RC cars first car was a good one. Anyone wanting a good first nitro car should go for an Exterminator XT2....and this Thunder Tiger truggy is a good step up. With a good tune, this thing will fly! When the engine note hit that crisp tone, she flew. More news when the break-in is done and I lean her off a bit. Then she will fly.
  15. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Yay...break in completed after a rather bizarre problem was solved. the stock transmitter/receiver combo didn't like the failsafe resulting in some VERY bizarre behaviour.

Took it back to my local HobbyStore, who swapped the failsafe for a different one which solved the problem. They were happy to tinker with the beast and found the solution. No charge, and a happy customer.

The motor once broken in is very responsive, and accelerates noticably quicker than my XTM XT2 with it's .247 ...

Next job is to get the tune spot on, and go find some proper rough stuff to thrash it about on. And I must take some pictures before it gets too dirty :mrgreen: