Pleas help! lionel needs fixing

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Spartalee, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Spartalee

Spartalee Member

Ok guys I googled for a page to help me with my train set and this seems to be the best so here is my problem

When I was 4 years old (1991) my grandfather bought me a train set for my birthday (he was a modle train lover) and the set he bought me is a Lionel, Santa Fe Special Set. In case you aren't familiar with this set the locomotive blows steam and has a front light and it came with a few cars (random industial cars, coal car.) and of course track.

Well he passed away about a year ago now and I found this set in my closet at his home. It has been dormant for roughly 4years now and I set it up hoping to see it in action again but to my dismay nothing happened. I hooked it up correctly the engine is on, the 3 pronged track clamp where the power goes to the tracks was on correctly. basically no technical problems I could see ,the locomotive seems ok because the passenger car we purchsed a few years back for it didnt light up. so either both the locomotive and the car are messed up or its a power track problem. any suggestions on how to fix it? a friend who has trains said I had to clean it? how do I do this?

Also if oyu are familiar with this set could you confirm it is O scale. I am not sure if it is, I am not to familiar with classifications.
  2. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

It maybe you havent wired it to the transformer correctly. I dont know what one you have so I cant suggest anything there.

Or the transformer may be broken, such as a bad breaker with in.

Try an other transfromer.

Remove the train, power up the track and lay a screw driver to it to see if it is getting power..

State what transformer number you have and the engine number unless you have and I missed it reading so fast.

email me if you like.

I have several transforner around if you need one. Failing all this take the engine to a hobby shop or a Lionel repair startion and have it checked.

Cleaning isnt so hard. squirt some wd 40 in it and let it drian out on news papers.

Take some alchol and a rag and clean the track. sand it if rusted with wet or dry sand paper NEVER USE STEEL WOOL ON TRACK.

Gil Finn
  3. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Cant you find your way back in? tooth1
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Here's a quick test I would do: Take the locomotive, flip it over, and attach two bare lengths of wire to the transformer where you would normally attach the wires that go to the track. Touch one of the bare wires to the roller on the locomotive, and touch the other wire to one of the wheels or to the frame of the locomotive, if the frame is metal. Then turn on the power. If it lights up and runs, you know both the locomotive and transformer are good and we can start trying to figure out what's going on with the track.
  5. Spartalee

Spartalee Member

Wow guys...thanks for your help but it was a malfunction in the user lol.....I was putting the piece that goes to the track on all 3 rails instead of just 2...........I feel dumb now....thanks for the help lol
  6. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Dont feel dumb, today I was going nutz making a layout plan that wouldn't work.

Using Lionel Fast track I had a 48" section in with the 36" pieces. It took 2 hours to figure that out.

If need any track or anything, let me know.
  7. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

That's one of the most common mistakes there is, so don't feel bad. I'm not sure why I didn't think to mention it. I'm glad you got it working.
  8. Brian R.

Brian R. Member

I had a problem with a TMCC engine last year. Couldnt figure out why the engine wasnt running on command. After 45 mins, i found out the command base was not on. This was the same day i bought the engine, had the engine derail, fall over and knock the command board off the main board. I got the ned command board in and then all this stuff happened. I was flippin out, then felt like a complete idiot haha.
  9. Brian R.

Brian R. Member

Quick question, how did you run the wires to all 3 rails, using a normal connector? The connector only connects to 2 rails at a time.
  10. Spartalee

Spartalee Member

the lionel connector I has has 2 clips then a center bar then an end clip so I put the center bar on the middle rail the 2 clips on the first rail and the end clip that was suppose to be on the middle rail on the last rail....