Playing with expanding foam insulation.

jerobins

Mar 29, 2007
NW Indiana
:wave:In expanding my layout i decided to try the expanding foam in a can. I think this may work for small hills and mountains. Seem a little expensive to do a large area with. What do you think?

Attachments

• 1 027.jpg
    1 027.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 1 029.jpg
    1 029.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 92
  • 1 030.jpg
    1 030.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 89

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Looks good. Dave Frary did an article in MR a while back (mid 1990s??) about doing scenery with the white styrofoam ("beadboard") and expanding foam. Seems very effective, and possibly cheaper than layers of extruded (pink or blue) foam.

Isee you have covered the foam with (plaster soaked?) paper towel. Have you tried carving and/or painting the foam directly?

Andrew

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
foam

I used some of that expanding foam quite a few years ago and it worked good. Some of it varies, and the top gets smooth. I carved a little bit off and the foamy holes looked like pitted rocks. Some looked like rounded rocks on the side of a hill and only needed a little strata carved in to be ready for paint/stain/ink wash.

Lynn

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
I've thought long and hard about using some of that stuff to do a layout. It's light when it dries, cuts easily with a sharp knife, and takes paint well.

I think the trick would be to remember that this stuff expands as it dries so you only want to fill about 50% of your area. Of course, you could always cut away the excess but you could damage level foam areas.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
As long as you can find the cans "cheap" it's a very easy and very good looking scenery aid... Of course, it's kind of useless in "F" :( :( My mountains are actually twice the height of real speed bumps :D It takes 4 cans to do a small hill :eek:

As long as you pay serious attention to Cannonball's comment
It Expands as it dries/hardens - only fill about 50% of the "volume" of the area :D :D Ex.: if your area is 2" X 3" high by 4" long - - only fill the "Bottom Half" of the 4" run - the foam will fill it all in :) :) :)

Also you have to remember - it's like concrete - the stuff in the tube and nozzle WILL harden too... you either have to immediately clean out the tube (Wire or pipe cleaner) and the nozzle.. or, like I do.... Map out all the areas you want mountains or scenery and spray them all at the same time to empty the can :)

It works great in HO - it's a bit rough to try in N --- but I have never had any problems after the "learning curve" is over goldtoth1goldtoth1

"Learning Curve" A.K.A -- Shoot!!!! Well, the wife won't care about that spot on the rug, she knows I'm messy!!! I'll just move this box over it and "Cool!! It's gone!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I used the foam in a can on my layout to fill a gap between my backdrop and the back of the layout (my backdrop is angled back from the layout) While it worked pretty good I didn't realize the true expanding qualities of the foam and ended up cutting about half of it off when I trimmed it to size. I also stuck to my backdrop and the paint came off when it was pulled off.

TexDoc

Aug 20, 2006
Corpus Christi, TX
I use a lot of it on the layout. When dry its easy to cut and shape, takes scenery, paint, scenic paste. Remember that it does EXPAND... about twice the size you sprayed....

12-18h1.jpg

This is one corner with most all the scenery having a "Great Stuff" base...

DocGeoff