Play-Doh's Scratchbuild Challenge

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Allright folks...im a little late getting this official thread started...but I was a day into this project when I made a fatal cut that cost me the whole project...so I had to start again. But enough with the excuses....lets get to the scratchbuilding.

The place im going to model is called "Bucks Stove Palace" which is a really neat lookin building I found here in Portland OR. The structure itself interested me, with its large store front, awning, and roof lines. As well as the sheer size of the building.

Here are a few pics of the building.

DSCN0738.jpg

Front of building

DSCN0742.jpg

Side of the building

DSCN0749.jpg

One more.

So I began with the front entryway...and cut it as one single piece.
DSCN0755.jpg

The I modified a couple of Grandt Line doors to match the doors on the building. I then combined them with the window panes I made from scale lumber. Finally...after some painting, I added them to my front piece.

DSCN0757.jpg

I used right angle pieces for the molding of the building.

Finally I cut the other three pieces of the primary structure and fastened them together making sure to include roof lines.

DSCN0758.jpg

And now begins my tedious "Masking tape shingles" technique. Its tedious,....but I love the results.

DSCN0759.jpg

Thats about all ive accomplished today....its lookin ruff now...but the end product should be great!

Chad

Dec 19, 2006
Cumming, GA, USA
That kicks butt so far! I cannot wait to see how you do the shingles, I want to make my own too. Does the Miracle Mat come in handy?

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Chad said:
That kicks butt so far! I cannot wait to see how you do the shingles, I want to make my own too. Does the Miracle Mat come in handy?

The Miracle Mat is a lifesaver...its one of the best things I ever bought for my scratchbuilding.

More to come tonight...hopefully. I just found out I mis-cut the roof! Whoops! sign1

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Allright...a quck update.

Finally got the roof in place.....the color scheme for the shingles isnt wokin quite yet...but thats an easy fix.

DSCN0763.jpg

After the shingled roof was in place I moved on to the flat portion of the roof. Not being able to see it, im assuming it is a tar roof. I first cut a piece of cardstock to fit, then cut a piece of sandpaper to the same size, and painted it a flat black.

DSCN0761.jpg

After attatching the flat portion of the roof

DSCN0762.jpg

I went to work on the awning piece. I built it out of cardstock, and then went about shingling it in the same fashion as with my roof.

DSCN0765.jpg

Here it is attatched to the structure

DSCN0767.jpg

And finally I cut matchsticks (painted to match the building) as the supports for the awning and glued them in place after adding the the "crocrete" to the entryway.

DSCN0768.jpg

Finally, (although this picture does not show it well) I applied a sheet of clear plastic on the inside to simulate the glass.

DSCN0769.jpg

More to come soon!

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Making progress....heck, im almost done!

I found a little time this last weekend so I built the rear structure. The miscut roof from the main building came in handy and fit this piece like a glove. I then trimmed out the whole building with 3/32" styrene angle pieces.

DSCN0789.jpg

And my wagon wheels came in yesterday! So after a paint job I added them to the store front. I also recreated the signs in the front to match the photo and printed them out on painted cardstock. I will not be duplicating the neon sign for obvious era related reasons. Before I added these, I built up the concrete/brick entryway using taskboard and styrene brick.

DSCN0785.jpg

Looks pretty close the original!

DSCN0738.jpg

Comming soon, roof details and touch up work!