Play a game and feed the hungry

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by BARX2, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BARX2

BARX2 Member

This is for real. Play a vocabulary game online and earn free rice to be donated to the World Food Program.

Attached Files:

2. davelant

davelant Member

Define a word properly from an easy multiple choice test, donate 10 grains of rice. With my rice and my O'Haus scale, 35 grains make a gram. About 16,000 make a pound, maybe enough to feed a person for a day. If you are willing to sit and click and be exposed to 16,000 banner ads, which is the real point of this website, you can donate that pound. There are better ways, ways that are not stupid.
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I think you need to take a look at this from a different perspective, davelant.
    I was thinking about it, pretty much the same way as you at first.
    I even thought that these people are using the poor to line their own pockets but after further investigation,
    I had a radical change of heart.

In short, here are my findings.
    In a five second visit, I answered one question correctly with a simple click and 10 grains were donated.
    There are three very small advertisements at the bottom of the page that combined, equal one banner add.
    This banner unobtrusively changes, with every new word.
    The site is Non Profit.
    You increase your vocabulary.
    Some poor soul who desperately needs it, gets a bite of food in his belly.
    Multiply that one click by several million Internet users and you can fill a lot of hungry bellies and that is only one, 5 second view and click from each.

If you have even 5 seconds to spare, you could put a bite of rice in a starving persons mouth, with a simple click of your mouse.

While I agree that there are easier ways to do it, such as just donating cash to the right organizations, this is quick, easy, free, and educational.

IMHO, not a waste of time but very productive in many respects.

Thanks for the pointer, Barx2.

4. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I think the ads are very unobtrusive to the point you don't even notice them after you start playing. I don't think the idea is that any one person will feed the world, but if many people with a computer played the game say 10 times, it would add up to a very big contribution.
  5. davelant

davelant Member

That is a perspective, but it is a perspective that is uninformed by facts, arithmetic, sense, or thought, as evidenced by the belief that ten grains of rice is a bite. It's not even close. (Don't believe me; try it.)

The world market price of rice is about 12 cents a pound.

A million humanitarians spending five seconds to play the game will labor for 1389 man-hours to "produce" 625 pounds, or $75 worth of rice, working for about 5 cents an hour. In some world where computers and internet connections are free, and your time has no value, this might make sense.

But in this world, that website is simply evil, since it misleads good-hearted people to believe they are doing good when, in fact, they are seduced into a masturbatory activity of no value, except of course, the advertisers, who get their eyeballs, and an undeserved goodwill from being seen as charitable. Whether or not the advertisers are hiding behind a non-profit shell is entirely irrelevant.

This may be the site you want:
  6. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Easy guys. Barx2's heart is in the right place and you and Amazyah have both made your points cogently Davelant. I think we certainly have enough information now so that we each can make an informed decision. Thanks for clearly presenting both sides.

7. dansls1

dansls1 Member

People spend hours and hours on 'masturbatory activities of no value' except to advertisors - television programs, console, computer and online gaming just to name a few. None of them have the added benefit of doing anything for anybody - so it's slightly better than playing minesweeper or spider solitaire, both of which I've spent somewhat significant time doing...
  8. davelant

davelant Member

John Breen the creator of, speaks for himself in the interview posted here. For years, he's been producing variants of websites premised on the notion that you can do good by clicking.

MPR: wavLength: Should you trust

It is not a registered nonprofit under the laws of the United States, and it is not a publicly held company. There is no accountability. In Breen's words, "It's just a website." He doesn't remember how much money it's taken in, and he won't say how much it has contributed. You just have to trust him. The technical term for this is a "confidence game," often abbreviated as "con."

It would be fun to try to estimate his revenue, as this guy did:
    Is making $150k each day in profits? -

Who knows? Only John Breen.

Indeed, everyone's heart is in the right place, and that's what guys like Breen take advantage of. And mind you, I have nothing against masturbatory activity. I would just be ashamed to call it charity.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.