Plastics modelers are now accepting us!

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Mark Crowel, Apr 12, 2008.

1. sakrison

sakrison Member

I belong to two IPMS chapters, in Milwaukee & Oshkosh, WI. The paper models I bring to the meetings are always greeted with a great deal of respect. Guys (and gals) who build contest-winning plastic models that leave me awestruck will look at one of my paper models and say things like:

:thumb: "That's incredible! I don't how you do it. I could never do that."

I tried to give away a few fairly simple paper models at the Milwaukee chapter a few months ago. This chapter is heavily weighted with people who build and write kit reviews for FINE SCALE MODELER magazine. The typical response I got when I offered paper kits to some of those master modelers was:

:eek: "Oh, no. Not me. That's way beyond me."

I try to tell them that paper modeling is not harder or easier, it's just different. They think I'm a bit nuts -- or more than a bit. But I have never felt that any plastic modeler was looking down on my hobby -- certainly not when they see what's possible in paper. Most of them have no idea until the see one of our detailed models up close.

I tell them I'm trying to win some of them over to "the dark side." Not much luck, so far. If anything, they are intimidated by paper modeling rather than dismissive of it.

That's fine by me. It makes me look pretty good. sign1
    No worries,
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Wellllll David - you are a bit nuts ;)
  3. RoscoVW

RoscoVW New Member

Other Groups dig Paper, too

As a member of several online forums, I tend to put in a good word (and a pic or two) in favor of card models whenever I can. Since I started showing my built models on groups like the Model Car List and the Grand Prix Modelers Assn. group, the response has been entirely positive.

In fact, one of the GPMA members who runs another website, asked me to moderate a forum at his site for paper modelers and we are now working on a gallery and a wiki page referencing where anyone interested can find specific models.

I think that kit modelers are really blown away when they realize what paper modelers are creating.

Paul M.
  4. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

You're making great progress in promoting paper modeling. We all admire and appreciate your efforts.

More power to you!
  5. RoscoVW

RoscoVW New Member

Thanks, Mark,

Check out the site some time, I think you'll like it. Also, if you send me the address for your site, I'd like to add it to the paper model links page there.

Paul M.
  6. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Cool stuff, however, I think some of them have doubts about paper modelers. I was on a forum, and someone called this, "The poor man's model." The guy meant no offense, but, he didn't give a reason.
  7. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

I suppose that a paper model could be called a poor man's model, considering that a paper model is likely to sell for less than a plastic model of the same subject and scale. That means that paper models are better values!
  8. David H

David H Member

By the end of 09 poor men's models may be all we can afford!

9. RoscoVW

RoscoVW New Member

Sadly, there will always be jerks who feel the need to elevate themselves by demeaning someone else. This is why I tend to dislike armor modelers who refer to model cars as "targets" or the aircraft modelers who will engage in heated arguments about what particular shade of grey some Nazi painted his airplane 65 years ago.

These people are fools, and I tend to regard them as an old Navy Petty Officer I knew regarded his ex-Marine co-workers. When the Marines talked smack about the Navy he shrugged and said "Just look at the shape of their heads and consider the source." Words to live by.

Paul M.
  10. sakrison

sakrison Member

My guess is, the guy who called paper models "poor man's models" had never actually seen what's possible in paper.

The comments I hear most often from IPMS members who have actually seen my models are on the order of, "That's amazing; I don't know how you do it."
    I've been asked to give a short demonstration at an IPMS chapter in Chicago next fall. Clearly, these guys see my hobby as different but no less challenging or deserving of a place at the table than theirs.

I joke with the IPMS about "seducing some of them over to the Dark Side." I've even offered them free kits. Few have taken me up on it and more often than not, their excuse is, "I couldn't do that. -- this from plastic modelers whose creations leave me in awe.

It's all about respect for craftsmanship--whether the work is from a beginner or master.

11. buffalowings

buffalowings New Member

both modeling mediums have different challenges, neither mdeium is better or worse, I build plastic models and paper, plastic models are challenging for me because of the painting and finishing required, paper models don't need paint except for the edges of the parts but it is just as challenging because of the folding, cutting, trimming and alignment
  12. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

There's nothing to stop you from painting a paper model, though. Why not airbrush a tank or airplane and give the camouflage the fuzzy oversprayed edges that the prototype has? Why not use the same techniques of pre-shading for more realistic panel lines? The only real difference between plastics and paper models is that paper modelers have to build each part before they assemble the model. It is also nice not having to find a whole closet to store a paper model collection. I can store my 75 or so commercial paper model kits in less space than my 1/32 Trumpeter A-10 or 1/12 Tamiya Porsche 935.
  13. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

I think the title of this thread says it all. I think paper modeling is emerging as a creative and admirable craft and the rest of our community is seeing the quality of what is being done. No one medium is better than another except to the artist. Our train modelers might build their trains or buy them and use their creative talents in the building of complex layouts and the constructions of whole towns using a host of materials. Respect, to be deserved....must always be mutual.
  14. 2Kamser

2Kamser New Member

I have a couple of plastic models lying around not doing any good but having seen the papermodels and building some of them i feel inspired to start doing the plasics "again", have a model of the shuttle i bought in the US 1991, and still haven't finished it, but now when i get all sorts of inspiration from this site, what one can accomplish when one put ones mind body and soul into a project, i feel i can really do it better than if i had not seen this site, also found a crossover between RC and papermodels - my 8 year son bought a Picco-Z heli which i found there are paper skins to rebuild them with, so all models should be considered as what they are - just models - that's what i think anyways
  15. doctormax

doctormax Member

I would not think it is the poor mans hobby, my grandfather and in fact my great great grandfather done paper models for buildings and for ships as well. What do these guys think architects use to display what the finished building will look like other than paper models. I wish i had the model my great grandfather done for the Sydney harbour bridge when he worked on that project all them years ago. maybe some member on here from Australia would know if there is somewhere that i could see a photograph of my great grandfathers work? be nice to find it and make a birthday card from a good photograph of it for her in a few weeks.
  16. MTK

MTK Active Member

Personally, I'd like to see some of the "Kit Assemblers" in the styrene sector try to build some of these "Poor Mans Models" and make them look as good as some of the modellers here do.sign1
  17. brock uppercut

brock uppercut New Member

i myself like converting paper models into plastic using syrene sheet.
    the paper printout makes a great template and theres no measuring because it has already been done .
    im working on a lowboy trailer for a plastic tank hauler that i converted out of an old 1/32 c.o.e. freightliner rig .
    and you cant beat the price , i downloaded the trailer (with its own rig ) for free , and the plastic freightliner cost me 6 bucks.
    IF you could find the same set up it would cost well over 200 dollars.
  18. belleg01

belleg01 New Member

Guess im necroposting but i just had to comment that how hard its becoming in my area to find shops that sell plastic kits is one of the main reasons i started looking at paper models in the first place. Its even harder to find plastic kits now than it was 3 years ago.
  19. sakrison

sakrison Member

Your area is hardly unique. With the cost (retail & wholesale) of plastic kits going through the stratosphere, it must be harder and harder for any shop to keep inventory on its shelves, especially when a gazillion internet shops can undersell the bricks-and-mortar merchants. And a lot of the "Big Box" stores are getting out of plastic kits altogether.
  20. goodduck

goodduck Active Member

We don't need no stinking plastic modeler to approve anything we do. ...... wait, I am that stinking plastic modeler. Self, I approve your paper models. Self, I don't care you do or not! Self, Fine! Go cut your damn paper! Self, Fine! Go glue your damn plastic!