Plastics modelers are now accepting us!

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Mark Crowel, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I would like to see some sort of halfway point. Plastic wheels look way better than plastic ones except for some of military ones from Pland and Germany which are just awesome). It would be nice to see some composites.
  2. doctormax

doctormax Member

I was never in really a big club, but my first real go at anything like this was when I tried to do a formula one car after getting into doing matchstick kits. the only difference between that and the card modeling I have found so far is I don't have to think of the thickness of a matchstick when doing my design. What I find is i look for a few pictures showing as many angles of a car or most things and do a few rough drawings. then go using a ruler. Well that was till I figured out one day. I have photoshop so use that. the scale may not be known but I think some looked fairly good.
  3. tazman3

tazman3 Model Designer Wannabe

Blasphemer!!!!!!!!!!! Off with their head!! sign1

have you seen some of the laminated wheels that are "sanded" down...they look as good, if not better, than a good plastic wheel. maybe they don't look like a "weight bulged" resin replacement, but they look good dude! I'm like you though...I'm seriously considering placing some photo etch details in a paper Jet I biggest problem is wears me out, so I like things like the laser cut parts, formed canopies, etc. (though lol a formed canopy actually create MORE cutting for the modeler)

The local plastics club here was all car/truck should have seen their faces when I rolled in there with an X-wing kit to show them some weathering techniques! lol...then some paper models started showing up at our contests...they finally decided that if more than 5 different paper modellers showed up, they would give them their own guys. People can change, and they can learn to have respect for other mediums.
  4. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Personally, I just like models in general, paper or plastic. I'm only really into paper now because there is so much more available, and its so much cheaper.

I also was never particularly good at painting, which is why I really like cardmodels more than plastic now. When they're printed out, you don't have to paint them. I can add a lot more detail in Photoshop than I can with a paintbrush.
  5. mariaone

mariaone New Member

as a newbie to card i have to say that i have never had a problem with the difference between card or styrene. i have built for many years from scratch with plain old styrene sheets and i openly admit that i have on occasion used ideas and scale taken from card models, in fact with out them i would have shaved my head and retreated to a mountain cave long ago
  6. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

It's good that you're openminded toward both mediums, and welcome to card. We hope you stay with us.
  7. bclemens

bclemens Member

As a card modeler, I will be impressed the day plastic modelers can email a kit! ;)
    That having been said,

Really- what's the issue here? It's a friggin' model! This is not brain surgery or fire fighting. No one's life is at stake. Please, can't we just keep things in perspective? All modeling is a past-time, a source of enjoyment; traditionally a method to while away idle hours that would otherwise bore you because there is nothing else to do.

Well, in this day and age, we should all count ourselves lucky to have time on our hands to model, whether it's plastic, card, or ice sculpture, considering all the people around us who are just trying to make ends meet working three jobs to put food on the table.

If we can be so haughty as to bring snobbery into the world of scale modeling based on what medium we use, then I say we are way too isolated from what is going on in the real world around us.

Please let's all be positive, helpful, encouraging, pleasant, and MATURE. Whether the person you are dealing with is a card modeler, plastic modeler, beginner or master, it's about the hobby. None of us need to use another of us as a stepping-stone to rise above the rest. All of us can benefit from the knowledge and experience of every other. If you use these forums or model clubs or contests as your personal opportunity to lord over other people; to be snooty and an ego-centric snob, shame on you. You are a very little person.

Now can we get on with the modeling?
  8. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

It has indeed been said that 3d printers would render cardmodels obselete... :D
  9. bclemens

bclemens Member

LOL! I hadn't even thought of that, Lex! There will come a day when plastic modelers can email a kit...But I think even when we all have Star-Trek Replicators in our kitchens, there will still be some of us who get quiet enjoyment out of bending card to our will! ;)
  10. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Sure can!
  11. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

i've been hearing good things about IPMS and since they recognize paper models, i decided to join. most well done paper models are actually multi-media, as are the plastic ones, so this makes sense. last night was my first meeting here in houston. i definately had the smallest model (my 1/72 "spotted" version of Shaun's SdKfz. 234) but it seemed to make the biggest impresion! i never get tired of hearing that question, "paper? really?" when i mentioned the price i sell them for, they shook their heads in disbelief. we were well received and even some of the "power players" in the local chapter spoke up to say how they had admired some of the paper models at last year's nationals. maybe i just got lucky to fall in with a good crewe, but i do encourage fellow paper modelers to join a local chapter if available....

p.s. sold a model to a member today! one down, thousands to!
  12. Texman

Texman Guest

One step at a time CB, one step at a time!

13. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

IPMS has been changing steadily over the years and I am not surprised that you are having a good time with the Houston crew. Houston has always had a great chapter, now even better with the added perspective you bring.

One of the things you can show them is how big some of the models are. Older modelers like myself really enjoy big models since they are are easier to work with. Still others get a big kick out of scratchbuilding and a paper model is a perfect starting point.

I purchased the old GPM 1:33 B-52. I haven't built it yet, but can you imagine the drooling that would go on if you brought that beast to the local club?
  14. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

I invaded plastic territory again, by starting a thread in the large models forum of Model Cars Magazine Forum. I showed some of the build photos for the 1956 Studebaker that I did in our Designers Corner forum, here at Zealot. That was yesterday. So far, five nice compliments from some very impressed plastic car modelers, three of whom seemed to have no prior awareness of paper models.

I put in a plug for Zealot, and also for
  15. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Very evil Mark ... very evil .... MuaHAHhAHAHahAhhahahHAHAHAhHAHAHA!!!
  16. I'm actually a convert, more or less. My introduction to modern downloadable card models was an article in the Fall '04 issue of Modeler's Resource magazine. Hilber Graf gave an excellent intro course in 6 pages. I had scratch built some architectural models before, but I had never known about the idea of downloading and printing models. After checking out a few model sites, I was totally hooked. I still like collecting and building plastic/resin models, but card models have an appeal all their own. I find the online card model hobby culture really cool, too. I love the idea that you can design a three dimensional object and post it publically for others to build. Card modeling brings modeling into the computer age.

17. mitchell300

mitchell300 Member

Im like 99% plastic model builder.
    Only have build 3 airplanes in my live from paper.
    And some caravans when i whas like 10.
    Now i wanna make some navy destroyers and small navy ships.
    I already accepted papercardmodel builders.
    And the dutch forum im on, already did to :D
    U guys arnt being discriminated again xD (joke joke)
    Mitch ;)
  18. hmas

hmas Member

Too late, They can email kits now& did last yr. I saw a scale model of a small ship produced in a rapid prototyping machine. Plans were emailed from Melbourne to Sydney, quick CAD conversion, colours selected & 1/2 a ship slowly appeared over quite a few hours!
    1/2 a ship? the machine did not have enough travel on the table for a 4' long model so the front was done, then the aft section.
    A perfect model finally emerged, all the owner had to do was display it, no modelling skill at all I'm afraid.
  19. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

I've read about that type of thing. The process has been in the works for years. Some sort of plastic extrusion machine follows instructions from a computer, and slowly, layer by layer, builds the model.
  20. hmas

hmas Member

almost right, not plastic extrusion thats the old way of heating the plastic granules & injecting it into a mold under heat & pressure.
    This way uses powdered polymers( wotever dey is) & laying them down with a glue from memory, the whole process looks & acts like a large inkjet printer.

& as prices come down, & the technology improves we may all have one in every modelling clubs group?

Personally I feel that it's going to kill scratch building skills, the amount of detail will be limited by the computers ram, but I do want one!