Plastics modelers are now accepting us!

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Mark Crowel, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

A few days ago, a car modeling acquaintance who builds in plastic, posted photos of my cardboard 1979 Dodge Magnum coupe on the Scale Auto Magazine website. This is definitely plastic territory. The thread he started brought a string of approving and encouraging compliments. Someone asked to see more of my cardboard cars, so my friend posted more. Eventually these plastic modelers are reporting in their posts that they've starting checking paper model sites, and are amazed at what they find. One person reported that he used to build with card when he was 8 or 9, and he's glad to see he's not alone. Another builder posted a photo of his nicely done homemade wooden hot rod model.

I used to think plastic modelers disdained us cardmodelers, but they seem impressed with what we can do with paper. I posted a link to Zealot in that Scale Auto thread. I think we can open some minds, and maybe bring some plastic modelers into our "fold".

Attached Files:

2. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

They used to not?
  3. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Never herts to try, lol. Thank you, my best to you.
  4. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

That's great to hear, Mark! I imagine the respose is certainly gratifying to you, as it should be. Your work in cardmodel cars is impressive. Congratulations and THANKS!
  5. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Thanks,Elliot, for the encouragement and praise. The best part of all this is, I didn't ask or expect this friend to post those photos.

Here is the link: ID=67096

When that page comes up, in the box marked "Search the forums", type in Crazy Cardboard.
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

very cool mark :) the more the merrier!
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Actually, the fact might be that actually we're despising them... :D
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

eh? I dont understand... I dont despise any kind of modeler myself....
  9. David H

David H Member

Well despise might be a wee bit strong. I do like to wind up my mates by asking them "exactly how much did that Panzer IV cost?".

I think card modelling is generally more mature and more intellectually challenging than plastic kit building. It requires a certain frame of mind and I think working in card is more akin to actual engineering. Few would argue that the accuracy and creativity required is much grater than plastic kit building.

That said I rarely live u to the challenge!

In my day (teenage days) I was a dab hand with a Tamiya kit and an airbrush but I was always ready to pile in with supplemental home-brewed additions. I was also a dab hand at knocking together streets of French houses and desert villages for wargaming and used any materials I could get, including tubs of two part car filler.

Which brings me to styrene sheet. Is building with styrene sheet really any different than card modelling? Yes the material has different properties but the evolution of a model is very similar.

There is always a pecking order. Scratch builders in styrene have my respect. I hold the guys who build working steam locomotives in awe!

10. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Having done both card and styrene I have to say that these card models can be wuite the challenge. I used to post links to card models on the styrene forums and mostly the would poo poo the card models. I was amazed by that, because it can be much more difficult and more of a challenge to build a card model than to build a pre packaged styrene kit, not to mention one of those four, or five piece Garage Kit travesties. With card models you don't just assembly parts and have a model and you can't slather on a ton of putty, you either get it right, or it shows.

As for scratch building with card, or styrene, I've done both and have used card models as templates for styrene builds. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's done that, but I'm the only one I know that freely admits it. Card models make great study models as well, something to visualize with and look for better assembly options regards proceedure.

As far as design goes, I don't think the card modelers here are any less talented than the CG guys who make models that you can't even touch, or feel.

Personally I've found card models to be very satisfying and challenging.:thumb:
  11. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

I was on the IPMS/USA EBoard for 12 years, two of them as president. During my tenure, significant changes took place in the attitude of the Society regarding modeling mediums.

The impetus for that change arose as many of us realized that many of the best models were incorporating non-plastic elements and receiving great accolades. So, we came to our senses and opened up the competitions to include models built from any medium.

I remember entering a lovely card U-Boat way back in the 90's.

With IPMSers, it is not a question of modeling mediums; it's what you do with the medium and how true to scale realism the model is. For instance, a card prop-driven plane would be interesting to a plastics guy, but would not stand a chance in competition with little black lines all over the place, especially on the spinners.

On the other hand, any model executed with care and precision like some of the ones I have seen at Zealot would fare well in competition and certainly be regarded for the skill it took to create the model.

Yet, there remain the "extremists who refuse to validate anything beyond their own version of perfection; typical throughout the world. Those of us with level heads ignore the crazies and appreciate the model for what it represents and the love and skill the modeler put into its creation.
  12. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Well said, well said indeed!:thumb:

Can I use this as my Sig?
  13. modelperry

modelperry Member

As an active member of a local IPMS club, I have been showing up to meetings with my card models and work on them during the meeting. Virtually every one has been impressed with the quality of the kits I have brought in but I have yet to influence anyone enough to try it themselves. Most seem apprehensive to try one due to the "work" involved. I myself switched from plastic to paper for four reasons: 1. economic 2. I don't care a whole lot for painting (touch up painting is fine, the rest "sucks" to me) 3. The available subjects are different than plastic and 4. I like the larger scale of military models as they go better with my plastic car models.

Before I would only build automotive in plastic because of the camo paint on military and aircraft. Now I build a little bit of everything in card. My horizons have broadened.

It takes me quite a bit longer to build in card but the results feel far more satisfying.

14. modelperry

modelperry Member

I had a similar experience many years ago with a model Railroad club in my area. I was attending the club for a few months trying to decide whether or not to officially join it and started to attend the IPMS club I currently belong to at the same time.

SInce all that was being done at the railroad club was track work, I took some (plastic) car models along once to show off my "other" interests. One of the old geezers looked at them and backhandedly told me I haven't lived until I detailed a locomotive.:curse: I believe that was the last time I went there to do any work on the layout.

15. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

This kind of stuff just kills me. You get these little clicks of different media, or shows, or whatever and they all think they're God's gift to the modeling world. It would seem that since we are all modelers that we could get along and respect each others work. Cest La Ve.
  16. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

"And the crowd answered Amen."

There are some things that I just can't do, therefroe I don't understand the attraction. 1/2500 Star Trek models, for instance. I don't have the eye for it any more and frankly, my hands are not geared for the small stuff, so I wouldn't slam someones efforts in that venue, but I also wouldn't try to make put that one scale is better than another. Personally, I like larger scale models, but that's just a preference. To me, it easier to get more detail out of them than the tiny scale models. I just don't want to work on things that small. However, I've seen some small scale stuff that astounds me.

I just got into scratch building within the last yer, or so and on something like that you use what works best, plastic, wood, paper, fiberglass....etc....etc... I guess I just looked at modeling as being just that, modeling. Without thinking about it I was being objective and not considering one media better than the other. I will say though that I've found that I'm beginning to prefer paper and card for the versatility of the medium, but still like to incorporate other materials into a build depending on what requirements a particular model needs.

End of ramble.
  17. modelperry

modelperry Member

Here's my AMEN.

I certainly do try to respect everyone's modeling efforts. I may not find someone's work personally appealing, but I keep my mouth shut and my opinions to myself. If someone asks for constructive criticism, I'll will provide it, but only if I can do so in a positive manner.

18. Folks, remember that the 2007 IPMS/USA Nationals officially recognized paper models with their own categories. I'm not sure if the 2008 Nationals in Virginia Beach will have the same judging categories, but I encourage East Coast paper modelers to continue the inroads we made last summer. The IPMS/USA officials and general membership were very positive about the inclusion of paper models, and the entries got a lot of admiring comments.
  19. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

That's good news, and thanks for sharing it. It does look like paper is on the road to general acceptance throughout modeling.
  20. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

That's great news there David!! --And with the advent of internet, cardmodels would receive the greatest benefit of all sign1

Sorry no offence there, just saying that some of us have a tendancy to write "p*****c models"...:mrgreen: