Plastic/Resin Structures

What plastic/Resin structures do you use?

• DMP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Walther's Cornerstone

• City Classics

• Model Power

• Con-Cor

• Heljan

• Kato

• Atlas

• Bachmann

• Other (not listed here)

• Do not use any plastic structures

• Total voters

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
OK David, I added a few more manufacturers and made the poll so that you can check multiple selections. In the process, I deleted the two votes that were there so that these people can also make multiple choices.

I had to rebuild this thread to do this, so please let me know if there's a problem with voting. I can add more selections, but this is all I could come up with over and above what David had here.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Voting seems fine Don. :)

I have DPM and Atlas buildings (so far...). I like them for the ease and relative speed of assembly. I have a few resin structures too, and the detail is much better than the plastic.

EDIT - I am in HO scale.

Are you thinking of adding plastic buildings to your own layout, or offering them for sale?

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Like Brakie, I use a wide range of structures. If I had to choose which ones I like the least and/or the most, I'd have to say for buildings, Bachmann is on the bottom of the list and Model Power at the top, mostly for ease of detailing. Bachmann and DPM and a few other have intergrated windows making it difficult to paint, whereas, Model Power and a few others all have separate windows that can be painted before assembly.:thumb:

As far as non-building structures, Walthers, Hajan and Con-Cor rank up there for selection and detail.

Remember, I'm looking at this from an N scalers point of view.:wave:HO and other scales could be a lot different.:D

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
I had posted in this thread yesterday when it started but I guess my post got deleted when more options were added, all well, here is my reason why I like Walthers Cornerstone Series Structures the best (just my opionions keep in mind)

I like Walthers Cornerstone Series Structures the best because they
  • Are easy to build. They also, for the most part, require little skill to build them. You simply follow the directions. My first building on my layout was the Blue Star Ready Mix Concrete Plant and I thought it was easy to build having never build any thing like this before.
  • The prices for the most part are resonalble
  • They are loaded with detail and look great!!!
  • Are faily easy to kitbash/bine with other Walthers kits to make bigger, better, more realistic complexes.
My thoughts and opinions,:D :D your choices:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

**EDIT**

Thanks Twiget, I Model HO and N

Twiget

Jan 11, 2006
Cherry Hill, NJ
Trucklover said it all. For realism, value, and ease of assembly Cornerstone is the best. :thumb: :thumb: I also model in HO. :D
I sound like a bloody comercial.
Aloha
Tom

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
I like Cornerstone for the same reasons! :thumb:

I also like DPM for the great downtown buildings that are really easy to build, the CITY CLASSICS for that nice prototype, the Bachmann for the speace filling kit, IHC (moderator, ADD IHC!!!) makes fantabulous buildings to suit unique situations, such as their victorian houses, and Model power makes some great houses and commercial buildings as well.

All others I use sparingly, and usually become kitbash fodder! ;)

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
My first structure attempt ended in disaster, mostly due to my inexperience. It was the Walther's Modular 3-in-1 kit. This kit gave the option of building 3 different buildings using the parts supplied. I wasn't happy with the way it looked, and I won't be buying any modular kits in the future.

However, I do like the Cornerstone series.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
2-8-2 said:
My first structure attempt ended in disaster, mostly due to my inexperience. It was the Walther's Modular 3-in-1 kit. This kit gave the option of building 3 different buildings using the parts supplied. I wasn't happy with the way it looked, and I won't be buying any modular kits in the future.

However, I do like the Cornerstone series.
Don't let your first bad experience discurage you from building any more modular kits. If we all gave up after the first disaster, none of us would be doing modeling. Sometimes you can dry assemble a kit without using glue, just to see if the parts fit and to see if you're pleased with how it's going to turn out. Some parts snap together, others might require a bit of tape to hold them, but the end results are that you can change your mind, repaint or rearange to get something you like.

One thing I might add is that a small guy like me can not afford the minimums that the big companies like Atlas, Con-Cor, etc... want!
I am now in the prosess of dropping all the prices on my web site because the smaller manufactures are starting to give me a better discount and I can pass that 10% on!
David

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I choose the building type over the manufacturer i.e. whatever my situation calls for. Doing this as long as I have has given me the abilities and tools to deal with any shortcomings a kit may have. Many of my buildings are rescues from bargain basement scrap boxes.

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
MasonJar said:

I have DPM and Atlas buildings (so far...). I like them for the ease and relative speed of assembly. I have a few resin structures too, and the detail is much better than the plastic.

EDIT - I am in HO scale.

Are you thinking of adding plastic buildings to your own layout, or offering them for sale?

Andrew
Andrew what kinda paint do yu use to color and weather the exteriors ? I like the floquil results for wood but I haven't tried the polly scale for plastic and I have a few dpm's to do .:wave:he harley and son's cycle shop and popa wheelies saloon are the main ones along with ac ouple others

Jan 12, 2006
Southern CA
I voted for everything except 'Don't use plastic structures', and agree with shaygetz - building type is more important to me than manufacturer, to fill my needs.

Chris

MasonJar said:

EDIT - I am in HO scale.

Andrew

They will be for sale on my site. That is why I started the poll with limited answers. Some of those big companies will not deal with a tiny little company like me.
Beside, as I tell the wife, " If this stuff does not sell, I`m gonna have one hell of a nice
layout"
train97

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
To my way of thinking,
if you want to model a brick building, use styrene/resin kits.
If you want to model a wooden building, use wood.

That being said, in my own collection, I have 2 wooden structures that are resin kits, I will be replacing them as soon as I find a couple of laser kits that would work.

Of course you could always save money and do what Matthyro did, make your own from cereal boxes.