Plastic repair

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by vdegrazia, May 5, 2006.

  1. vdegrazia

    vdegrazia Member

    I have a large piece missing from the cab of one of my O gauge engines. Does anyone have a way to fill and repair plastics?
  2. LongIslandTom

    LongIslandTom Member

    If a chunk is missing, you can try to cut sheet styrene to approximate the area to be filled, glue it on, then fill in the seams and gaps with either Testor's Contour Putty or Squadron Green Putty, then sand it smooth, starting with rough sandpaper and working your way to very fine grits for a good finish. Of course the repaired cab will need to be repainted afterwards.

    Hope this helps.
  3. vdegrazia

    vdegrazia Member

    I have fair sized "chip" on the plastic body on one of my cars. Does anyone have a way to fill/repair plastic?
  4. b28_82

    b28_82 Member

    i'd say, depending where it is, rough it up and make it look like a rusted away spot with some weathering.
  5. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Depending on how large the chip is, auto body filler or spot and glaze putty can be used.
  6. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    I posted to the other thread before I saw this one.
    The procedure stated above is how I have repaired numerous old shells.
    The center of the pilot on this old Globe F7 was cut out before I got it.
    A styrene filler plate was glued in , filler added and sanded to shape.
    The second photo is the same loco after painting.

    Attached Files:

  7. vdegrazia

    vdegrazia Member

    Thanks for the info. Where do I get things like stryene filler plates?
    Ray: great looking job on the diesel. Where do you get the new decales?
  8. Ray Marinaccio

    Ray Marinaccio Active Member

    Sheet styrene is sold in most hobby shops.
    A few years ago I installed a a 3 piece tub surround in our bathroom that required some trimming and ended up with a generous supply of styrene for modeling with.
    The decals are Microscale.
    The filler putty I got at an auto parts store,
  9. Awesome job Ray!!!
  10. Gil Finn

    Gil Finn Active Member

    I would cut out a section then repace it with an exact section of sheet plastic and resurface.
  11. Dave Farquhar

    Dave Farquhar Member

    If you don't have a hobby shop nearby another source of sheet styrene is the hardware store or hardware section of a discount store. The small No Smoking/Beware of Dog/For Sale signs are made of styrene. The smaller ones are thinner and more flexible than the thick ones.

    A hobby shop is a better bet if you have that option, since most stock both Evergreen and Plastruct sheets. If I remember right, Plastruct is more rigid and Evergreen is more flexible. If you're repairing a curved section you'll want flexibility.

Share This Page