Plastic Metal (i.e., I-Beams) found a company

Jeffs_Railroad

Dec 18, 2006
Connecticut
Hi all,
Earlier today Tom (MTA) and a few other people asked about plastic Metal parts (i.e., I-beams, etc.). and I mentioned I had a box given to me by a friend. The parts came from Plastruct Inc., 1020 S. Wallace Place, City of Industry, CA 91748. Please note I have no idea if the company still exists, but hope that helps those of you that where looking.

Regards,

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
They still exist. They are across the street from the company that I retired from last May. They are one of the leading suppliers for supplies for archetectural model building. The problem with plastic I beams is that the thickness is too much for scale models because of the relative strenght (weakness) of pastic. If you are building a model where you want the I beams to show and be very close to scale thickness, get brass. I can't remember the name of the company that produces brass structural shapes right now. My local hobby shop generally has a nice stock of their product in most of the time. I don't know if they make "I" beams, but I think they make a thin "U" section that could be soldered back to back to make a nice "I" beam.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Russ, I think that K&S is the supplier of brass structural shapes. Evergreen also has a pretty good selection of structural styrene, and Plastruct offers both styrene and ABS versions. The styrene is generally of thinner cross-section than the ABS. Northeastern also has (or had) a large selection of structural shapes in basswood, although I always had a lot of trouble working with that stuff. :curse:
In this photo, all of the structural shapes for the crane runway are from Evergreen, while all of the shapes and most of the angle-iron handrails on the overhead crane, built many years ago, are basswood.
2007-01-10577.jpg

Wayne

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
doctorwayne said:
Russ, I think that K&S is the supplier of brass structural shapes. Evergreen also has a pretty good selection of structural styrene, and Plastruct offers both styrene and ABS versions. The styrene is generally of thinner cross-section than the ABS. Northeastern also has (or had) a large selection of structural shapes in basswood, although I always had a lot of trouble working with that stuff. :curse:
In this photo, all of the structural shapes for the crane runway are from Evergreen, while all of the shapes and most of the angle-iron handrails on the overhead crane, built many years ago, are basswood.
2007-01-10577.jpg

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. It seems as I get older, I start to post something, and suddenly have a "senior moment" when I can't remember the name of the most familier company!