Plaster of Paris and Sculptamold Playtime

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by J. Steffen, Jan 10, 2008.

1. J. Steffen

J. Steffen Member

Practical experiences only...

What's the playtime for a bucket of plaster of paris and sculptamold? I want to get down on my next days off and I want to prepare. I don't get alot of time to work on the layout so I have to cram as much buiding in as possible.
  2. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

I have found the following:

PoP about 3 to 5 minutes.

Sculptamold about 5 to 7 minutes.
  3. J. Steffen

J. Steffen Member

So do a little at a time...
  4. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

I don't know about PoP, but I use sculpta mold alot.
    Sculpta Mold does take about 10 minuates to set, but doesent set hard, you can loosen it by adding water. I do a 2 cups of sulpta mold( I use a cheap plastic 8oz cup) to 1 water. Mix till it has the consistency of oat meal(I use empty margarine tubs).
    If you let it dry naturally, it takes almost a week to set hard.You can still wet it, and work it during this time. Sometimes, I speed the process by using a hair dryer.
  5. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hi...Speaking of sculptamold...does it have a lumpy consistency...or am I not mixing it well..??
  6. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

A limited amount of time on your part and a limited amount of time for the plaster equals "don't mix a bucket full". Try a small amount as an experiment. Spread it on a piece of cardboard and work it around until you feel it start to set up. That's going to be your maximum work time.
  7. Ginns

Ginns New Member

I am not positive but I think this is how it is supposed to turn out. It looks a lot like cottage cheese when it is mixed, but you can smooth it out nicely with a finger.
  8. J. Steffen

J. Steffen Member

I was told Oatmeal or Cottage cheese like and I was told to use your hands while putting it on. It gives it a rougher appearance.
  9. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Thanks guys...I thought I was screwing things up...