Plaster cloth, Sculptamold, or both?

Working on my styrofoam elevations and I'm not sure what I should use. LHS owner used Sculptamold on everything and it looks great. Can Sculptamold be laid down on a thin layer of plaster cloth? Thinking about using the plaster cloth to smooth them out and following up with the Sculptamold.

N

nachoman

Yes. Sculptamold will stick to just about anything porous - when dried. I've put it over plaster before with no problems. When wet, it's not very sticky. You may have a hard time spreading it on steep slopes (above 45 degrees or so). It may also sag a little when wet, and shrinks some as it dries. It does not spread very smooth, but because it shrinks the surface smoothes some when it dries. In my experience, the dried product is very strong and durable, and light weight.

Kevin

steamhead

Hi....I use both. The plaster cloth alone is a little too threadbare-it'll look like burlap...So I "fill" it in with sculptamod or plaster to give it a more "natural" look.

Hi....I use both. The plaster cloth alone is a little too threadbare-it'll look like burlap...So I "fill" it in with sculptamod or plaster to give it a more "natural" look.

That's the answer I was hoping for. Thanks to the both of you. I have a mix of sheer cliff and gradual elevations and I didn't want to spend hours filling in steps.

jbaakko

I used plaster cloth on my modules, and it works fine as long as you're covering it up with something. If you're intending to use it for cliffs or the such, the thread will show.

DeckRoid

I am going to put on my last layer sometime this next week. I plan on using ripped up cotton sheets. The method shown to me by some gurus in my club, it has the smoothness that folks look for, while being able to sculpt into rock shapes as well.

Plus the price is right... $1.00 at St. Vinnies. I already have the wallpaper glue from putting on 5 layers of newsprint.

I have often wondered about sculpty...

I used plaster cloth on my modules, and it works fine as long as you're covering it up with something. If you're intending to use it for cliffs or the such, the thread will show.

I planned on using sculptamold and molded rock on the cliff face.