Plans for Crossroad RR - N-Gauge

Pops

Been playing around, trying to "design" a layout that would fit in a spare "bedroom." I haven't put a layout together in 25 years so it's been trying.

dogbone.jpg

I hope to build this in 3 four foot section, in three phases. Phase one (Black Track) is a simple loop so I can start runing trains. Phase two (blue) and phase three (green) can be added on as I have time and energy and would provide switching capabilities. The sections would be divided where the rerailers are, and "highways" would cover the joints.

Any suggestions or problems?

Thanks

John - aka "Pops"

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
John, welcome to the Gauge. Interesting track plan that should keep you busy for some time. I notice that you can cross over from one direction to reverse the flow but then can't cross over to get back. Is that intentional or is there and opportunity to add crossovers to get back and reverse the flow again.

Tad

I had the same question that Robin did. I was also thinking that you may want to consider putting in a runaround on the right end like you did on the left end. It might come in handy when switching those spurs.

Pops

The switches in the center section are not so much cross overs, as they are access points to the center track, but I will look into the cross over idea.

I had not thought about a run around on the right side. I'll see if I can slip one in.

Thanks for the ideas. That's what is nice about thyis place.

Tyson Rayles

Hi John and welcome! Don't know if you meant to or not, but with the access to the center track you have created a reverse loop and if you don't use insulated rail joiners and dpdt switches in the right place you will have a dead short.

Pooh Bah
John:
based on that reply, it looks as if all your spurs can be switched by backing in. While prototype railroaders would love that, it can get boring for playing trains. (Think of a golf course with no bunkers and all the greens slant down to the hole.)

Pops

The reverse loop and wiring is no problem, plenty of isolated blocks are planned. I love wiring and started plans for the controlboard as I went . I hope to expand to dual cab controls. (I can rent myself out on the weekends if anyone need help.)

The reverse loop should also allow for cab forward switching so I won't have to back in every time.

All good points folks, thanks again!