Planning for structures on track plan

FrankG

I'm new to model railroading and starting an N gauge layout.

I've picked up a few books on planning the layout, scenery, etc, and from everything I've read, they recommend that you plan the placement of structures while planning the track.

What I plan to do is a relatively dense city -- I have a book by John Pyke (spelling) that does a good job of explaining how to go about.

I will most likely use many commercial kits with a few kit-bashed or scratched. The problem is, at this point I don't really know what the footprints of those buildings are.

So, how do the rest of you plan for structures that are not yet constructed? Or do you just get a general idea of how you want it to layout and choose structures based on the rough idea?

2slim

Frank,
You can usually get the building dimensions from a Walthers catalog or the building manufacturers website. Some manufacturers even print them on the packaging. I have rarely seen dimensions which explained on which side of the building a loading dock or doors are located so you may have to study a photo or diagram to be able to tell. What I have done in the past is to make a paper footprint of the building using those dimensions and then labeling which side is front and back. You can then use them as 'paper dolls' so to speak and then arrange them in the space you plan to use. I've kept them in those 9 x 12 office envelopes for future use. Of course that was before I started using CADrail now I just draw them in that program, you can save a heck of a lot more of them that way!! Hope that helps.

2slim

ak-milw

I usually get all my track pinned down temporarily, build all my structures and set them in place. then mark it all on the foamboard, then lay all the tracks!:cool:

CalFlash

If you plan to use trackplanning software, many of them have "libraries" of buildings. I use PlanIt3D and it has an extensive list of buildings and a user group creating even more.