plane models

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by bazookie, Dec 22, 2006.

1. bazookie

bazookie Member

i think i'll be making a trip to newsagent... i'll also check th post office as they sometimes sell cardboard and stuff.

i also thought of another source. how about manilla folders!?!?! You buy them in a pack of 10 or something and i can cut them up into a4 to feed into my printer. i'll be able to cut 2 a4 pages out of one folder. i think i can buy a pack from woolworths for 1 or 2 bucks. they aren't as thick as cereal boxes but they are certainly stiffer than normal paper. only downside i can think of is that it is yellow but im willing to bet i can fidn them in different colours. im sure the ink will cover it though. i might try this later on tonight :-D

picture to see what im taking about... what do you think?
  2. charliec

charliec Active Member

I've tried manilla folders but there are a couple of problems with them. The surface is fairly uneven and porous so inkjet printing doesn't come out very well.
    The folders also seem to have a really pronounced grain so you have to align parts which need to be rolled along the long side of the folder.

3. Grizz

Grizz Member

I've just come back from BigW where I found some Reflex Platinum ultra white paper (probably always been there!). The pack says it's 90gsm, heavier and thicker presentation quality.

Has anyone used this stuff or is it still to thin to use?

4. bazookie

bazookie Member

i have just printing a plane from a link i posted earlier in this thread... i have built half of the model and from what i can tell:

- what you said about the printing is true, it doesn't come out that well
    - i can't haven't really seen a problem with folding along or across the grain
    - it is a different experience from building with normal paper... i wouldn't say that it is easier but it does make the process simpler by keeping it's shape.

these are just my opinion and the project is only half done, and it's only a small build.

i will go paper hunting tomorrow in the local area (i doubt i'll buy anything good as my area is a hole as buying stuff goes).

i'll let you know how i go with paper hunting and the build im doing with manilla folders. i'll be sure to post pics of the build and compare it with a similar build i did with normal 80gsm paper..

grizz, 90 gsm is just a tiny bit heavier than normal printing paper (80gsm).
  5. PapaBear

PapaBear Member

If I may contribute to the discussion, from a Melbourne point of view, but may be applicable to other states down under;-

Yes, you can buy inkjet paper both glossy and matt (flat finish) from some stationers/computer supplier stores and photographic stores. 80gsm IS normal office copy paper ('bond') but you'd really want to start with 110gsm for fairly rigid builds. I generally print on about 130gsm but I do use different weights like 110gsm depending on the part and or model. I also keep packs of 170/180gsm and 220gsm, both matt and gloss which also get used a bit.
    At the end of the day, there's no rules except that which works for you.

K-Mart, Big W, Coles, Safeway, even Reject Shop, depending on individual stores, will carry packs of these papers as well. Note though that most of these stores and shops carry gloss rather than matt as the 'market' is for
    the 'average' person to print their own 'glossy' photos.

I find it handy to keep a few packs of gloss and these can be bought cheaply from the Reject Shop at $6 a pack of 24 A4s at 220gsm. I recently found a local $2 shop selling comparable gloss at $2 for a pack of 25 A4s at 220gsm. And no, I haven't found the Reject Shop gloss paper to crack when folded on either side.

As for matt or flat finish, they are harder to find in general I've noticed,
    but in Melbourne, there are regular computer swap meets or weekend computer markets that you can find a selection of inkjet paper from various vendors.
    These are typically 110gsm, 120gsm, 150gsm, 170gsm, 180 gsm, 210gsm and 220gsm. They come in packs of 50 to 100 sheets and gloss or matt and vary in prices from $12 to $24. Also check out the flea markets. Maybe see if you can find any where you are?

Art Riot carries card stock and art board from 320gsm to 450gsm which averages (in lay terms) about 1.5mm thick - great for forme work and Art Riot is easily found around major shopping centres;- but they do tend to be a little pricey. Best bet is still scour the $2 or discount shops as you might come across some 'hidden' gems.

So yeah, hunt around.

Now if you're really unlucky and desperate, at the very worst, but don't quote me, try the paper suppliers or your local printer. You CAN try and ask the paper companies for off-cuts and Printers usually have 'house stock' which they might spare you enough for a few builds to tie you over. Time to start making friends with your local printer.

I wouldn't recommend 'manilla' folder if you're using it for finished exterior surfaces. They tend to be 'rough', very absorbent and aren't 'printer' friendly
    in the long run. Unlike the 'manilla' card, hi-resolution inkjet papers are coated hence smooth (to protect your printer and your print) and that's what you should try to find if you want decent details. Note too, though that most inkjet printers will happily do up to 180gsm as an upper limit, 220gsm if you really have to (but you take your chances and do check printer specs) and very few take up to 250gsm.

:) :) :) :)
  6. Grizz

Grizz Member

bazookie great thread you started.

How cool is the help freely given on these forums!

Good luck with finding stores close to you.
  7. bazookie

bazookie Member

haha yea thanks for all the help guys. hope im not too much of a nuisance and my questions aren't too retarded xD!!!

im gonna go to my local shops today and see if the poster sized card i mentioned earlier is thick (or thin) enough for the purpose and see how many a4 sizes i can print. i just have to attach the wings to my plane that i mentioned earlier made out of manilla folders.. after that, i'll post some pictures!

next time i go to westfield, i'll keep a lookout for those shops that you mentioned there papbear!!! :-D

ty again guys

also, are is there anybody here living in NSW, sydney around the padstow, hurstville, bankstown area? even the inner west lines?
  8. bazookie

bazookie Member

i have purchased one sheet of this poster sized card. i have compared the thickness and it seems to be equivalent of 2 a4 pages but maybe bit heavier, sturdier... i can cut 4 a4 pages out of it but i think i can fit 1 page worth of parts on the offcuts. i will look for a model and try to build it on this paper. quick question though... do i print on the smooth side or the textured side? when i say smooth, i don't mean glossy. just a different texture from the other side. i would guess the rough side as it would be more porous for the ink to soak in?
  9. PapaBear

PapaBear Member

Heya Bazookie

If we've all been of some help then that's good. Its a great place here where everyone chips in to help someone else.

About paper, if its coated paper you got, then it'll be the smooth side and usually the brighter or whiter side of the paper. I have in my collection some papers that are coated single-sided and then another pack which is coated both sides. So yup, if you notice 2 sides, then generally print on the smooth, whiter side.

Just make sure you set the printer up with the right paper type in the print options. Specifying the right paper type gives the printer a good guess as to how much ink to put out on each substrate type.

Enjoy and we're all waiting to see yer pics!

Cheers mate.

10. bazookie

bazookie Member

haha thanks papabear...

here goes the stupidest question!!!! what model should i build??? lol i can't think of a model that looks nice but under 4 pages!!! i only have 4 pages of this stuff. people post suggestions! it can be anything from any genre but it has to look good in your opinion, 4 pages or less (not including instructions) and free. thanks guys for all the help you've given
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

:grin: It's Free! AND I think it looks pretty good.

Attached Files:

12. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

13. bazookie

bazookie Member

yea i've looked through that thread... is the shooting star under 4 pages?
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yes! By half!8)

And I really like this version............ I wonder why? Hmmmmm.:grin:
  15. bazookie

bazookie Member

hmmm.. actually don't like the actual plane... hehehe no offence it's good model but i don't like the actual shape of it. i like planes that have a more modern look. i also like some wwI and WWII planes but only some of them :twisted: