plane models

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by bazookie, Dec 22, 2006.

  1. yaniv

    yaniv Active Member

    u can tray the FREE CONTEST website to found some more info about free models and some cool links for models to download :)
  2. bazookie

    bazookie Member

    i have decided i am not going to try building planes until i get at least 2 more moidels worth of experience (real models not tiny fun ones) and i buy cardstock... my plane substitute for the while will be and they are really small planes that are for fun... meanwhile, my next project will be a zenith from the game front mission 4. :roll:

    9 pages of paper saturated in ink $1
    1 scalpel $50c
    1 bottle of pva glue $4.00

    one completed mech... PRICELESS
  3. pbhawkin

    pbhawkin Member

    Hi Bazookie,
    I live in Mudgee, 4 hours West of Sydney.
    Cardstock can be obtained from any good art supplier or photography place (it's called Matte) and is used for the background/surround of photos, prints or pictures and comes in various thicknesses and colours.
  4. bazookie

    bazookie Member

    oh ok... so i can just go to any photoshop (places where they develop photo's) and ask for matte paper? i've read that 160 gsm weighted paper is ideal. is there a equivalent weighting or do i just ask for 160 gsm?
  5. pbhawkin

    pbhawkin Member

    Cardstock is much thicker than 'gsm' paper. 160-200 gsm is really just like thin card whereas the thinnest matte is about the thickness of the cardboard on the back of writing pads up to a few millimetres thick.
  6. bazookie

    bazookie Member

    ok im confused now... i don't want something as thick as cardboard!!! you can't build with that. i just want something that is harder than normal paper yet keeps it's shape when put together. what do you veterans usually use to put together your models?
  7. pbhawkin

    pbhawkin Member

    Matte is good for formers and to save you laminating 5 or 6 pieces of thick paper together as sometimes required.
    160 GSM paper is nice and thick and perfectly adequate for building with.
    I use inkjet printer paper (matt) by any of the popular brands and this is usually about 160-190 GSM. Holds inkjet colour well obviously!!
  8. bazookie

    bazookie Member

    so where do i buy this stuff? do i just walk into a photoshop? what do i ask for.

    i don't know if you realised but matte is just the type of paper... it's the surface of the paper. i.e glossy, matte etc...

    glossy is shiny surface whilst matte is rougher :???:
  9. cgutzmer

    cgutzmer Guest

    gsm is the weight measurement - grams per square meter (please correct me if I am wrong) this can be used to measure any paper from normal copy through the heaviest cardstocks. Cardstock is not just matte for picture mounting. It is any heavier weight paper. For instance heavy paper like in greeting cards you buy at the store is cardstock. CARDstock :D heh heh It is just defining that it is a heavier weight paper. What city do you live in bazookie? I forget....
  10. milenio3

    milenio3 Active Member

    Hello Bazzokie!

    Fine to find someone who is interested not only in building a model, but in building it well.

    I can think on going to a printshop (any printshop) and ask the clerk about paper types. He/she can show you the different types, and you can have a very good idea on what to look for. He/she even could sell you some (not necessarily the whole package). Then you can try printing some models and try them. At the end, you'll end up finding what is best for you.

    I use many types, sometimes 160, sometimes 225. Build at your own pace and find your own technique (obviously, read threads from the pros here at the forum). Then we can learn from you too.
  11. cgutzmer

    cgutzmer Guest

  12. pbhawkin

    pbhawkin Member

    Actually MATTE is a name for the surrounds of photos in a frame AND not just the type of surface (ie shiny or matt). You go into a place that makes frames or any of the better photographic shops (Ted's, camera house) to get it.
  13. cgutzmer

    cgutzmer Guest

    I typed this once but it disappeared.... will try again!
    In america the part that surrounds a framed picture is mat-board or matting not matte.

    Shiny photo paper is glossy. Not shiny photo paper is matte. This is just in America though I am sure it could be called something else in other countries.
  14. bazookie

    bazookie Member

    alright im confused..... so what do i need to buy? matt, cardstock, paper....

    i didn't know there were so many kinds of different friggen paper!!!! :cry:

    pbhawkin, can i buy thiss matte stuff from a place like kodak 1 hour photo or rabbit photo?]

    btw i live in sydney
  15. Rick Thomson

    Rick Thomson Member

    Living in Sydney, you should be able to get heavier paper without any great problems. Any stationary store worthy of the name should have it in various weights.

    I use 160 gsm for just about everything other than framing, where I use things like thin carton or (Shhh...don't tell) plastic sheeting.
  16. charliec

    charliec Active Member

    Having read the thread I can understand the confusion. I'll try to sort it out for you.

    What the Americans call "cardstock" - we call "card"

    Card comes in various weights - the typical weights for papermodelling are 120,160,210 gsm. In addition to the weight of the card there are choices about the surface finish - these pretty much match our terms for paint finishes - matt (dull), gloss (high shine), satin (between to first two).

    The confusion seems to be from the introduction of "matte" - this is a board often used in picture framing and comes in lots of thicknesses. 1, 1.5 and 2 mm are typical thicknesses. Matte board is usually very dense and loaded with pigment to give the board colours. It can be useful for framing in models but can be a real pain to cut because it's so dense.

    Photo card/paper can be problematic for inkjet printers unless it's designed for them. The usual problem with photo paper is that the surface is not porous enough to allow the ink to soak in.

    Hope that helps.

  17. pbhawkin

    pbhawkin Member

    Thanks CharlieC,
    good post.
    all relevant info in one post.
  18. bazookie

    bazookie Member

    yes thanks charlie... that cleared it up. so what i need to buy is 160 gsm card.... do these usually come in a pack in a4 size like printing paper? there is a newsagent in my area that sells large sheets of think card. im not sure what the exact weighting is but it's similar to book covers (not hardcover). i think the sheet is a2 and is usually meant for posters and stuff.. do you think thiswould work? also, the price is quite expensive, around $5.00 for a sheet. :cry:
  19. Grizz

    Grizz Member

    Not sure if this will help but I have been buying packs of 100 a4 sheets from my local newsagent for about $12. I don't know the gsm but they are about the same thickness as cereal box cardboard. They work a treat for me.

    What you have done with 80gsm paper is fantastic,

  20. charliec

    charliec Active Member

    Certainly does - if you find a good supplier you can get A3 and upwards as well.

    I'll take a punt and guess the sheet card at about 240 gsm - might be a bit heavy for some models.

    I know this card - it's quoted as 210 gsm - it's not bad for big pieces. I don't think we eat the same cereal - Sanitarium Cornflake packets seem to be about 0.48 mm thick and I'd guess it 220+ gsm.



    PS - there isn't a simple relationalship between thickness and gsm - often card with nearly the same thickness can vary by 50% or more in gsm.

Share This Page