plane models

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by bazookie, Dec 22, 2006.

1. bazookie

bazookie Member

hey!! one of my primary reaons for starting paper modelling was aircrafts!!! i haven't built one yet and i was going to start one but i have not found any that i like.

does anybody have a recommendation of a aircraft that will suit a beginner but still is a challenge, looks nice, has reasonable detail and is free? i have built the walker from alternate realms, mad cat mech from a japanese site, the green mech thing from sf papercraft and half of a lens head (which i plan to finish later).

i was going to make the geebee racer by Rafal Ciesielski... would this be too hard of a build? i also don't have any cardstock... i have been buil;ding my models on normal a4 printing paper. :cry:
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

what genre of planes interests you the most?
  3. bazookie

bazookie Member

any that looks nice!!! it just has to look awesome for me to build it
  4. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Try the Fiddlers Green J-3 Cub with floats, looks good, not too hard but the floats are a bit challenging.
  5. bazookie

bazookie Member

yea i have seen that before... don't really like it. i'd like planes with more detail :)
  6. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Hmmmmm, how about the SpaceShipOne from Currel, might be classified as a spacecraft but it still glides(the model flies tith two pennies in the nose too).
  7. bazookie

bazookie Member

that one looks alright.... might build that one later... any other planes? also, will the geebee i was talking aobut earlier work with just normal paper? as in, ill the parts fit correctly because i been reading and you need to laminate page for the correct thickness. i'd want to build the gebee because of the detail of it.
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

cough.............. cough.......... there is a FREE very well colored model of a P-80 designed by Rob Carleen, and colored by a world famous opinionated southern gentleman, this is available for FREE,(did I mention that) and makes a wonder 1/48 scale depiction of the world famous Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star of Korean War and first US combat jet fighter fame................ cough............cough

look here:

um-mm signed anonymous:grin:
  9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I don't think the GeeBee is a good choice if all you can use is regular paper. Plus, you have to laminate some parts to 1mm cardboard - it's really important! And a plane like the GeeBee also has wire and thread as components. It's not a really simple model. You really need to be willing to work in card stock to get most models to work well.

You might also try Currel's Concord. Nothing but card at least, and no laminating needed. But it's got good detail and looks good as well!

10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I agree with rick as well - you wont get a really decent build using just copy paper, go to wal mart or whatever and get some cardstock ;) its not expensive at all. You almost need to stick to lower detail to build with the copy paper.

We also have no idea what you consider awesome - military planes or civilian, single wing or biplanes large scale or small scale, its hard to just throw things out. Try the shooting star, it is a nice one :)
  11. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I'll third the cardstock opinion- it's really very necessary if you're going to build most models past the basic stuff. :grin:
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

This page has some pretty nice beginner - medium level builds. I did the b29 myself as one of my earlier builds.

p.s. remember level of difficulty is purely the opinion of the builder so what may be easy for you might be medium or difficult for others (or vice versa)
  13. bazookie

bazookie Member

OMG I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THAT SITE!!!! THAT F14 BY YUKI LOOKS LIKE TEH SECKS!!!! yea thanks xD... yea i would buy cardstock except i can't find any in australia around my area. i know they sell them in a shop called officeworks but im not old enouh to drive and officeworks are really hard to come by.:(
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

there has to be more than one store chain in the whole country that sells cardstock. dont you have any big discount stores like walmart? Who else here is from the land down under? Sorry, love men at work!
  15. bazookie

bazookie Member

no we don't have any walmarts.... we have target, kmart, woolworths and thats about it... we also have big w but there's like, 2 or somethin. haha :-D
  16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

No Wal-Marts!!??................ man will you let me move there?

Office Depot has an online store.......... but really any office supply shop or Print Shop should have 11# Card Stock.

K-Mart should have it too in the office/school supply section.

If you can not find it I'm sure we can ship some to ya, if we need too:grin:

Keep us informed...................... CharlieC is from the land down under........... I believe............... yeah I too Love Men At Work!

17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Oh yeah has anybody seen that Lockheed P-80 Freebie around............. seems I've misplaced my copy..............:eek:
  18. bazookie

bazookie Member

19. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

I usually get my card stock from Target, here in the U.S., so you might have luck getting some there.