Plan of my new bench work for Traction/diesels

interurban

Hi Folks, Here is the bench work that gives me the best running opportunities

The center is where the town and street trackage will be.
The closet may end up as a small fiddle yard or my workshop.

41 feet running one way excluding the town + room for a branch line to operate a diesel or three. :D
Track plan will come when the bench is up as ideas are abundent :D :D :D :D

scale of plan 1/2inch = 1 foot

Attachments

• good.jpg
    good.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 367

interurban

Now then
What do I build with?

1inch + 3inch knotty pine is 45cents a ft = $67 + tax`s

2+4 good studs $3.22 each 8 ft lenghts.=about $60 + tax`s
I think the Pine would be lighter and better to work with.
All Cost approx :rolleyes: :confused:

First I got to take up ALL the old L/O and find storage :( :) It`s got to be done, but it`s gonna hurt!

jetrock

2x4's seem like overkill for a shelf layout against the wall--I use primarily 1x2's under MDF, with 2x2 for my wall mounts, and they're plenty strong as long as I use enough shelf brackets.

Looks like a nice start, though--a good around-the-room run with room for an interesting island in the middle.

interurban

Thanks Jetrock, you are right. I think I`ll go with 1 by 3 knotty pine.
It will be anchoured to the wall by a compleat 1 by 3 surround, screwed into the wall studs. Under neath will go my collection of furniture :rolleyes: draws for storing all the good junk we collect :D

The space each side of the island is 4 ft not 2.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Chris - I can't believe you're tearing it out!

If you can manage it (table saw and firend's help required) you can rip 1x4s from 3/4" plywood. You want to use the better ply (cabinet grade) but it should come out around the price for pine. Stay away from the knotty pine - all mine ever does is warp!

Andrew

interurban

MasonJar said:
Chris - I can't believe you're tearing it out!

If you can manage it (table saw and firend's help required) you can rip 1x4s from 3/4" plywood. You want to use the better ply (cabinet grade) but it should come out around the price for pine. Stay away from the knotty pine - all mine ever does is warp!

Andrew

A friend has used it Andrew but I will double check know, thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

interurban

Leak in the basement

I spent the last week or so taking out the closet and stripping some drywall where I had a water problem many years ago :(
Fortunatly for me I am doing this as a thaw starts :thumb:
And yes the leak has started to show itself :(
So I have to put $1200Can in to outside repairs .

At least this will problem will now go away :D :thumb:
But that is a lot of train money :eek:
Repairs will start in two or three weeks.
I can still work in the room on one side :thumb:

I agree with Mason Jar, ripping 3/4" plywood is the way to go if you have the ability. It's cheaper, stronger, and warps less.
Doc

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Some good advice there Chris although I have never had any problems with pine but then I use the "L" girder method. Kalmbach has a good book on making bench work.
I sure like the possibilities your plan shows.

interurban

new idea

Yep thanks for the heads up guys. :thumb:

As of last week. Ihave the closet out and a new bench idea.
This is just the beginning .
The Track plan gives me a lot of main line track, I may make them seperate tracks.
:rolleyes:

Attachments

• track 1M L.jpg
    track 1M L.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 217

hocaboose

Definately think about the plywood route. It is more dimentionally stable than 1x's and a hell of a lot cheaper. The only down side is it does take some time to rip it all down but the payoff in money and in the long run is worth it.

Pete

interurban

Another think on the Benchwork

Thanks Pete, I am use to building bench work that I can stand on :)
Must be the English in me :D I will look into it.

I have been held up by a leak in the room that will be fixed as soon as the thaw starts.($1000.00) ouch.!!
Here is another bench plan , this is with the door redone to allow a 4 ft turn there.

Attachments

• resise.jpg
    resise.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 165