Pixar, Disney, Omnidroids, and living in the '50s.....

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by ARMORMAN, Mar 4, 2005.

ARMORMAN Guest

Well, this has been a weird day....I had sent a copy of the Omnidroid paper
    model that I did for a December contest (check local listings for
    availability in your area) to Brad Bird, writer/director of "The
    Incredibles," with a thank you note from myself and my kids. Brad liked it
    so much, that his secretary mailed me an autographed picture and a note
    stating that if I was interested, they would help me obtain a liscence to
    make paper model kits from the movie.

I thought about it for a week, and then decided to go ahead and pursue it. I contacted the secretary, who put me in touch with somone in Pixar
    Liscencing; who, in turn, put me in contact with someone at Disney
    Liscencing; who, in turn, put me in contact with someone else at Disney

So today, I finally talk to the last person on the list. She wants to know
    how many pieces I want to produce, in what media, ad nauseum....I tell her that I am not going to produce a physical piece, but rather, a .pdf file
    that people will pay to DL and print out themselves. I said my expected
    sales would probably be only in the neighborhood of 5-10,000 DL/design and that it would be available through a website.

"How are you going to publicize it if you don't have it in stores?"

To which I explained that I would announce it on the internet through groups like this one.

"Well, I just don't think this will work as we have no way of dealing with a
    buisness model like the one you are proposing..."

"And so ends another chapter of 'When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth....'"

On a related note, when she found out that I had designed and released the Omnidroid for FREE....she was aghast! I didn't recieve the official Disney sanction ("We don't look at it as free advertising, we're concerned about its intent"). On the positive side, Pixar thought it was cool....

2. rowiac

rowiac Member

Last year Pixar announced that it would no longer be working with Disney to distribute its pictures. I believe "The Incredibles" is supposed to be the last one with them.

So maybe licensing paper models based on future Pixar releases will be easier with Disney out of the way.

Good Luck,

3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Nice story, maybe you should follow-on with Pixar and at least keep the comm channel open till the fond farewell to Disney is over and done...,

4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

You are stuck in a lift (elevator). In the lift with you are a ravenous tiger, a 30 foot long Python and a Corporate Lawyer. You have a pistol, but only two bullets. What do you do?

Tim P

ARMORMAN Guest

I will indeed keep my lines of communication open there....

The next movie is the last (Cars) that Pixar owes Disney (Disney Lawyers didn't consider Toy Story 2 to be part of their movie deal).

And on that subject, I give you Robbin Williams take on it:

scroll down for the link...warning, some language (it is Williams).

And....one more quote from him:

"Why does Mickey Mouse have only four fingers?.....Because he tried to renegotiate his contract with Disney!" - Relating to his dealings with Disney and Aladdin (He was paid scale on the condition that Disney did not use his name in any way when they were advertising the film).
  6. Guitarius

Guitarius New Member

What do you do? Or more to the point, was this a joke or advice that may have to be put to use some time in the future?
  7. Jimi

Jimi Member

If you hate them all probably, i'd shoot the tiger and make the python strangle the lawyer. that way, u save on ammunition! hahaha! Just kidding. :wink:
  8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Jimi, you win 10 points for lateral thinking! Conventional wisdom is you shoot the lawyer, twice, just to make sure.

Tim P
  9. Ron

Ron Member

I was leaning towards shooting both the tiger and the python and then administering many kicks to the groin of the lawyer :twisted:

hehehehe :)

10. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Well, I'd shoot the animals first and hope that the lawyer is the same one that is my friend and occasionally let me use his Piper Tomahawk! He isn't too bad to deal with.

11. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Hello ARMORMAN,

thank you for great model. It is very nice model. My children and I love this robot. With the figure of Mr. Incredible you can build a small diorama.

ARMORMAN Guest

Thanks, Thomas! I was wondering if anyone had built it or had relegated it to the "One day I gotta build this!" pile.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Send me some pics, I'd love to see it (if Mr. Incredible has not destroyed it).
  13. kk135

kk135 Member

Hehehe... I thought it went - I'd shoot the lawyer twice and take my chances with the tiger and python. :wink:
  14. Janusz

Janusz Member

About the lawyer: Its more logical to wait till the corporate lawyer strangles the python and then kills the tiger so that you can use your two bullets on him
    he he he