1. Ladies & gentlemen, I would like to announce that there is a new photo gallery section. You can create your own personal photo gallery (to include setting up your own albums). You can even post videos. You can also post and share photos in the galleries of others (if that person allows such), as well . ENJOY!!!

Pirate on ebay

Discussion in 'Internet Auction Offerings' started by dansls1, Nov 14, 2007.

1. dansls1

dansls1 Member

2. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

That maggot seems to have Dr. Zarkov's Model Art Collection offered, Maybe he could resigister the necessary complaint with Ebay?

John John
  3. dansls1

dansls1 Member

He seems to cover the spectrum of publishers, that's why I hoped just posting here could get it taken care of instead of having to email each of the publishing houses individually, knowing at least a few of them are regular readers of this forum.
  4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Wow that's quite a collection! Someone spent a LOT of time at the scanner. I'll bet the quality really sucks.
  5. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

Sometime last year, I filled their complaint form and submitted it. They did not do anything. They kept demanding a proof of ownership.

1) Does anyone have any ideas how can I prove Ebay that I am the owner
    of some of the kits that Emil designed?

2) The OV-10 Bronco is also offered on that CD. I have records of all sales
    of this kit. Anyone care to guess who's the traitor? :curse:

Moshe
  6. dansls1

dansls1 Member

You would think that a link to your website showing the models for sale would be enough proof.
    I would say the first thing to do is see if anybody from Brazil purchased the Bronco...
  7. angevine

angevine Member

He's also selling the following:

Maly Modelarz Paper Model Complete List 04 CDS Item Number: 200172990120

I have registered a complaint but I doubt, as normal, Ebay will do anything.
  8. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Is there anything this scumbag isn't selling here?:curse:

In the past, complaints filed under their "recordable media" guidelines may have had more effect. You could try that tack...

Terry

Ping-Pong Ball Cannon and N/Z scale Old West paper models (free samples) at: paperbeam - virtual paper models
  9. Yeah I saw it too. Man how do these guys sleep at night. Stealing the work of designers who work hard to offer their art to us. Especially the ones who offer their work for free. There are several pieces listed that are a free download. then these guys take it and then try to profit from the work of others.

If you want to sell your work on e-bay, get the permission from the deisgner first. I have sold nemerous models ( only built one) and I got the permission from the designer to do so. Personally I think if you build it you should be able to do what you want with it. But just to keep the peace I refuse to do so without the expressed permission of the designers. I would love to see these guys taken down!

What do you designers think about someone selling completed work? If the seller gives credit for the design and provides a link to the site where the model can be obtained? I would very much like to hear your side. Can there be a code of ethical use of your work that everyone can agree on? After all it does actually promote your work honestly to those who would like to obtain the files legally?
  10. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I've been complaining about this guy for years but it seems to fall on deaf ears at EBay.
    I'm not sure but maybe his being in Brazil has something to do with it.
    I think the only way to really get some action out of EBay on this one is for the big publishers to all file complaints.
    Modelik, GPM, Halinski, etc.

As far as selling a model that is built, I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.:thumb:
    There are a lot of people who would love to own a built Halinski model but do not have the time or inclination to build one.
    You are not reselling copies of the kit, so it is not piracy.
    You are being compensated for your time and energy and talents.
    All three, hot commodities since the dawn of civilization.:twisted:

Russell
  11. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Hi Russell,

If someone built a free model of something that was in popular culture (movies, TV, etc.) and obviously copyrighted/trademarked, would it be okay to sell that too?

I wouldn't think so myself, but I'm curious as to what other paper modelers' opinions are on this...

Terry

Ping-Pong Ball Cannon and N/Z scale Old West paper models (free samples) at paperbeam - virtual paper models
  12. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I know These guys are idiots for selling models like this and I agree with complaining. Just one word of caution, never complain direct to the seller, as they can then get hold of your email. This has happened to me. Be safe.
  13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Ebay just needs to be sued and the action to have the attention of the media as to the nefarious deeds that Ebay ENCOURAGES.

I posted a thread on their forum that pretty much sums up the fact that ebay has sellers who have been selling illegal content for a long time despite being reported time and time again.

Note he uses paypal. I think paypal would not be impressed that someone was recieving funds from illegal activity via their services. A good attack is from that angle.
  14. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

stevo is right. a class action suit threat (none of the little guys can take the risk alone) followed by a press conference would have the potential to really hurt them (and their stock). also, a criminal investigation under RICO statutes might be in order. it would take a lot of evidence to sway a judge, but firms which go after others with deep pockets don't mind doing that kind of work....
  15. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

E-Bay has owned PayPal since 2002

eBay picks up PayPal for $1.5 billion | CNET News.com
  16. RINGMASTER

RINGMASTER Member

Edited for content.
  17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Sorry for the censorship, Ringmaster.
    I really hate pulling out the censorship card but when I see a post that tells me exactly how or where to get pirated material, I have to step in.

I realize people can get anything that they desire from the Internet, if they look hard enough. There is a good side and bad side to the Internet.
    Our forums will remain on the good side of the Internet though, so we cannot have signs pointing the wrong way for people, even if by accident.

I am certainly not trying to chastise you, so don't take it badly. It's really no big deal.
    I am merely explaining the reasoning for my actions and I have what Stephen King refers to as, "Diarrhea of the word processor".:mrgreen:

Russell
  18. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

A point of view and a report

Hello friends!

Being Brazilian, it would like to contribute with the discussion with some notes and reports of the reality here.

In first place, my sincere excuses for that person that is selling these models. I feel embarrassed. However it is not the first and nor it will be the last :cry:.

The papermodels, are not a common and popular hobby in Brazil as the plastic models now. In spite of already it was strong in the years 70 and 80 through infanto-juvenile publications that they brought several models of all of the types. A general knowledge exists here of facing this model type with surprise or with a mixed of perplexity and inferiorization in relation to the plastic models, there were already great discussions on the coexistence of those two model modalities since in a IPMS Poen a BV-138 1/33 of paper won Best of Show in the convention in Rio de Janeiro provoking an enormous discussion on the subject. With this situation he settled down an idea that the paper models belong to a category inferior or "poor." And the funniest is that being a big country this is a pré-established culture and a lot of people use that to justify the piracy.

Another interesting fact is that simply sale points don't exist in Brazil of commercial models of any editor. Same considering that the import laws here have been imposing very reduced on top of books and magazines, what strengthens the culture of the piracy.

Analyzing the collection that is being offered, can guarantee to you that the person that is selling doesn't have the books or original files, all were obtained through an acquaintance P2P programs (that won't say for not hurting the rules of the forum which is). In general those healthy scans in low resolution, and the times reformatted to fit in A4, left more expensive printing of what to buy an original. wall1

What calls me the attention is that sites exist where the people scan the models and they review that is the origin of the evil is like this that the piracy reproduces. It is most of the time are people of the countries where are the publishers.

In Brazil they exist a group very fort of people that promote the hobby and they try to combat that culture, in Mercado Livre (Free Market) a known site of purchases and auction in Brazil that is associated Ebay have many pirates, practically everyday we denounced them and we published the evils of buying a pirate model, being him free or commercial.

To conclude he would like to say that many modelers that do like exist here is of building free models exactly why can be printed home and a lot of people acquire their models legally and that little by little are changing that culture.

To the moderators I apologize if me extended or I published some process not allowed. But I think as they exist many Brazilian participating and contributing in a positive and honest way judged necessary to do those considerations.

Cheers from Brazil!

Péricles
  19. kudoos for the censorship. I agree fully. Anyone wno knowingly downloads pirated materials should be edited out of the forum
  20. In response to perecle's. I think you said your meaculpas (plea for endulgence). so let us all forgive him even though i don't know the content of his post. I assume it was the one that was edited for piracy. Anyone can make a mistake. At least you recognize the ethical point of view now.