Piper J3

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by josve, Nov 12, 2005.

1. josve

josve Active Member

In some quiet hours at work I built this PJ3 from FiddlersGreen.

2. Darwin

Darwin Member

Uh-oh. Looks like another one has got the bug....welcome to the dark side. :smile: That FG Cub looks good with transparent windows. Just seems to be jumping up and down demanding someone give it an interior, doesn't it?
  3. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

The Piper was the first Card Model I built, then when I was looking for a Chrismas gift for my nephew I say that FG had a two for one deal on, the rest is history.
  4. josve

josve Active Member

This is addictive......I have now ordered 4 more models from Modelik....

I have been looking for a more detailed Cub, but with no luck.
    I know Uhrig has made the Fleet80 Canuck, but that one is with no interior.

So if anyone know of a site with some good GA aircraft.....

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Guys,

The FG J3 Pipercub was also my first card model. I had recieved a (junk) email about some remote controlled toy stealth fighter toy....sposed to be all the "rage". Well. I commenced to looking up the stealth bomber in google and somehow ran across the FG J3 Piper. Of course being a free download, I printed it out, thought hey..... I can handle that and about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs later I owned a piper cub.
    And I agree, it does look nice with the clear windows.....Chip and the gang at FG oughta look into an interior for the plane(s).

Have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  6. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

PMI , Paper Models International has a more detailed cub and printed on yelllow paper. I have it, haven't built it. Here is the link but call and ask for a catalog and order the Cub while you at it.

The gentleman that makes these has made a short run of civilian aircraft a stearman and two Railroad Caboose, cabeese, Caboosi, whatever. I recommend the kit having purchased but not yet cut. What can you lose for $5.95.

Nice build by the way, it's the one I started with but didn't have the finess to cut out the windows.

Well done, John
  7. josve

josve Active Member

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out!

The windows was kind of tricky.....especially the front window.It was not easy to get a nice shape out of the one piece of transparent overhead sheet.

And thanks for your nice replys guys!

8. Bomber

Bomber New Member

WOW Guys! Here is a fans of Cub! Very nice.
    I also make a FD Cub, but little bit rework it to military version L-4 fuselage and make a interior.
    Now some things still not finished, but it was a test build.

Attached Files:

9. Bomber

Bomber New Member

I finish my one:)

Attached Files:

10. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Awesome builds, guys!

Shows a lot of talent and love for this plane, which is great to see.
    It also shows how the basic FG model can be made more special by add-on details...one of the things I love about the FG line...the only limit being your imagination and desire to make an already awesome model even better.

Keep at it...I'm really joying these photos of what you folk are building using the FG models. They're really superb models! I love that photo with the model sitting on the map...great shot!

11. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Nice L-4. If you ever finish the rework, would it be possible to get a copy of it?

12. Bomber

Bomber New Member

Thank you Jim, i really agree with you - FG models is a good basis for reworking and conversion:)
  13. Bomber

Bomber New Member

Ryan, i think it`s not a problem, let me know to private your contacts. But i must inform, that is only rework and repaint of main parts of model. All of small parts was made separately and adapt to model, unfortunately i not save a "plates" for this details(
    PS sorry for my english)
  14. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Hey, Bomber,

Your L-4 is great, especially since you took the time to do some research and add detail where you could.

Keep up the good work!
  15. Mjohnson146

Mjohnson146 New Member

16. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Detailed J3

All I can say is WOW! A really beautiful model.

17. jasco

jasco Member

If you think the paper model is cool, you ought to build a simple, rubber-powered balsa and tissue model of one. Hours of summer evening flying fun. Then go fly or get a ride in a real one. This airplane puts a grin on your face regardless of its size!
  18. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Upgraded yellow Piper J-3 Cub!

Hello all Piper Cub enthusiasts,

I just downloaded a very nice "upgraded" LARGE version (from David Roy) of Fiddlers Green´s yellow Piper J-3 Cub.
    The yellow colour is a more saturated and there are bright "glossy highlights" on the wings. Also, there are new black registration letters and a bear Cub logo on the wings, which I think look very stylish. The wing struts are brown, instead of yellow, and the propeller has been improved, with a darker, "wooden" brown colour and new red wing tips!
    One the whole, a much better looking (and authentic) airplane! Thanks to David Roy for making this beautiful model plane available as a free download!
    There are also other fine (smaller) versions of the "Cub":
    a "Hunter´s Cub" (camouflage painting) by Jordan Alegant, (age 14!), and
    the green Military Cub (see former page) and a nice looking dark brown camouflage Cub with colours of the Netherlands, by Guido van Roy!
    Print, cut, glue and enjoy!
    I´m gonna start building the new BIG yellow one rightaway (in A3 format!)...
    ... where´s my scalpel?

best regards,
    Bengt Fredén, card modeller and photgrapher, Stockholm, Sweden.:grin:
  19. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

As you may know. FG has recommended printing some planes on colored paper to increase the saturated look of the color. Toward that end, I made my Cub and my Tripacer out of manila file folder stock and what it did to the native color of the plane was amazing. Give it a try. File folders are also of a nice weight to build. Best regards and good building, John
  20. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Movie clip: "The Flying Farmer" in his yellow Piper J-3 Cub

Hey Johnny, Rick, Bomber, Greg, Jim and all you other Cub fans!

Take a look at this movie clip: (requires QuickTime)
    -it´s fun to watch!!!

I just found this page at:
    credits/source: Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome - Action Footage

Bengt, Stockholm :cry:(when is this guy gonna stop posting stupid things and actually build something..?)