[pipa sopa laws] depotsfile and document for zealot ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Lounge' started by tanaka, Jan 20, 2012.

1. tanaka

tanaka New Member

With the blocking of MegaUpload, severals websites of streaming or virtual hard disk (like dropbox or depotsfile) are threatened by a definitive closing.

The problem come from to this topic in forum : http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155919&page=62

If depotfiles closes , we won't access at the paper model of GW40K :confused: (and like model of GW are very expensive :evil: )

It's possible to save all files of vehicles in your own computer if you want again access ?

But like there is a biggest list , it's necessary that we are several to save documents
  2. Sanginus

Sanginus Member

hi, do not panic! :mrgreen:

If you need some models, they load you down for so long but this
    server exists. If the providers mentioned by you are disabled, it is
    future, another give away / server to host the models.

There is always a way in www
  3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

If the models of GW are expensive, then getting them for free is stealing, is it not? I don't release any of the models I have designed because I know they will be pirated in minutes. That means all the effort for nothing.

Megaupload got hit for a very specific reason and I don't think the reasons apply to Deposit Files which is very aggressive about copyrighted work. Megaupload solicited people to do this and got caught red handed. I would not worry about file sharing sites. Besides, a lot of the models,if legitimate, can be uploaded here if the author asks, or gives permission, and the same can happen at papermodelers.com. It's not the end of the world. Other sites will pop up offering legitimate hosting at better prices with stricter terms and in the long run, people who offer their own work will be better protected.:thumb:
  4. erebus

erebus New Member

I played GW for awhile in my youth and i don't see how making their models out of paper is stealing. People will still want the real durable thing anyway and their forgeworld selection has surpassed cardstock for now. Besides paper models won't be allowed in the their tournaments which is prob how they make most of their money with all the fees, turnouts, merchandise and die hard fans.
    still mourning the loss of MU but the internet will find a way as it always does i believe. I agree with your sentiments zathros.

I bet alot of people would buy GW plastic more often if they just lower the price for average guys like us who can't spend that kind of money on models, paint, glue only to have it sit on a shelf instead of battling it out with your friends. Ironically I do airsoft which is probably more expensive than GW lol.
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Megaupload got hit with some really specific charges. It appears they set p a sting and found they they were soliciting people to upload movies and songs etc. When they were asked to take them off, they would but they got aught soliciting people to upload the files again. This is why they got nailed. zipping files and calling them something else, and a host of other methods will make anything still available. I don't know why anyone would download a movie when DVD's are so cheap. The quality is not as good, and if it is a high quality download, your eating up all your bandwidth and that is another way people get caught. To be honest, I am surprised they got away with it for so long. I think it's a lot of political bull because of elections. The U.S. (in my case) could find itself very isolated if draconian laws get passed. You just won't be able to get in because of where you server is located. I don't need anything from these sites, except for the legitimate ones. I don't look for movies or songs as such. It's easier to go to YouTube and download most of what I like and extract the sound track, if I want it, but it's been a long time since I have done that, as I am an audiophile, and MP3;s and MP4's sound horrible on my system. It's rare to find 96 Khz recordings, I have Ommadawn which is almost a reference CD for "seeing" how your system sounds. Music has color! :)
  6. nav

nav Member

I do believe that megaupload is back up and trying to get all their file back up....something I saw on facebook, but they don't have a domain name yet.
  7. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Having worked for the Federal Bureau of Prisons, i would be careful going to that forum, if it is true. I just saw a picture of the owners and they were still in Jail. The fear that they could flee set their bail really high. I wouldn't go near them or anything that says they are them for many reasons. Some are obvious, some are not!
  8. giande

giande New Member

sopa suck, megaupload closed filesonic is now not availabe for sharing

i think this a big disaster for US and maybe any country will follow it too
  9. Zathros

Zathros Guest

There will always be a work around. In reality, when this settles down, other websites will open to serve the needs of people like us, who just wish to share our models. That is why forums like this serve a great purpose, as we can hold on to any model someone makes, delete it if they wish, and we don't charge anything. It was people uploading movies, primarily, that blew it for everyone else. Songs was the next problem, though that is easily worked around by changing the extension and naming the song something else. So they will not stop that with SOPA. I don't know if SOPA is going to be passed, at least in it's present form. I don't know why people can't wait for a movie to come out on DVD to just rent it either. The quality of pirated movies is usually horrible, unless it is an uncompressed file. Then, you just killing your bandwidth, either way, you will end up paying more than just renting it. Movies are easy to copy, so there again, SOPA fails, ironically if you add a "L" and make it "SOPLA", that means "BLOW" and that is what it does, is BLOW. :)