Pioneer 1 Difficulties

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by jparenti, Feb 24, 2007.

1. jparenti

jparenti Member

Has anyone else tried building this model of Pioneer 1?
    It just seems like the parts won't go together right. The parts for the nozzle of the main thruster just don't fit. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but everything but the main body seems out of scale. Anybody else having this problem?
  2. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Ask Neils

I have downloaded it but have not built it yet. Neils has done a test build, (Shown pictures on the Yahoo group). If You email him from his site, (I am sure He will get back to You). He has always been very helpful to Me.

Have a great night,

3. Niels

Niels Member

Pioneer parts is not out of scale...

I am glad, that you have chosen to build my model.

I have downloaded the parts from my webpage and printed them. Then I have testbuilt some of them to see, if they match each other. Then I have cut out all parts and measured them against my own model - All parts fits - noone of them is out of scale.

I have attached some photos of the retrorocket. As you can see the diameter of the lower part (2N) is smaller, than the diameter of the top of the satellites main part. This is indicated on the top plate with a white circle.

I hope, that this will help you.

Attached Files:

4. jparenti

jparenti Member

I think I may have made a mistake myself actually. My printer settings MAY have been different between the two pages, which would explain my problem. I'm going to reprint and start over. :oops:
    I'll try it again and see if it makes a difference. I really like this model, so I'd like to see it come together. Thank you, Niels!

NULLMOON Member

i built this component by extending the conical parts slightly and connecting them both with the cylindrical part without using the conector it looks much smoother

Attached Files: