Pink Boutique: Lame to Fame

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
For Christmas a year or so ago I received the Bachmann Pink Boutique as a present from my daughter. If you are familiar with these kits, the Silver Series Plasticville, they are very basic and lack a lot of detail. Since I tend to receive these on a regular basis and the associated pressure to include them on the layout I build them. However, I have learned how to take them for a drab, lifeless thing to something I want on my layout. So the purpose of this topic is to show how something cheap can be turned into something worthwhile.

Here is what I had to start with:

Front cover of the box
aml.jpg

Rear cover of the box.
amm.jpg

The parts bag.
amn.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
The first thing I did was airbrush an undercoat of two coats of Apple Barrel Dolphin Gray (20781). Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of the pieces after they were undercoated. On the side and rear pieces I airbrushed two coats of Folk Art Raw Sienna (452) and sealed it. Since I was going for a distressed look I then applied a coat of rubber cement in various locations on the three walls. Again sorry I did not take any photos of this stage.

Next I applied two coats of Folk Art Maple Syrup (945) to the sides and the rear pieces. I then used an eraser to rub off some of the Maple Syrup. The results are shown here:

atp.jpg

I am still not finished. Note that the rear section has yet to be touched.

atq.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
The roof section received a final coat of Folk Art Amish Blue (715).

atr.jpg

Since my daughter’s favorite color is pink the front piece received a final coat of Folk Art Pink (413). As you can see in the photo I have begun to paint the details on the front section. I will have more information on that process forthcoming.

ato.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
I have come with a name for the place. I was thinking Pinky's Deli, or Grocery, or Hardware, or ??

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
I finished painting the details on the all the wall sections. So here they are ready for sealing.

Front:
aty.jpg

Sides
atz.jpg

aua.jpg

Rear
aub.jpg

The white is Apple Barrel White (20503)
The shingles on the bay window on the front were painted with Folk Art Raw Umber (485).
The window frames and doors on the side and rear are Folk Art Burnt Umber (462).

Next is window glazing and signs.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Tom,
The building suggests a tea shop, a country quilt store or crafts store, an antique shop, or maybe a candy store.
Ralph

Tom,

Nice job...my cap is off to you and your abilities to transform this kit into something nice for anyones layout. I am curious to know whats going on upstairs... through the window? I can't quite decide if this is PG or R rated. :)

Opps...now don't I feel embarrased...

They sure are wheel sets :eek:ops: Guess it was the terrible monitor I have at the office. Couldn't quite make it out. But after looking at it on a good monitor I can see we are looking straight through to your toolbox and whatever is behind that wall. Sorry about that.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Thanks all for the compliments.

Here is my next update on this project.

I decided that the Pink Boutique will be a eatery called Pinky’s Place. Using some Woodland Scenics dry transfers I had I added some lettering to the front section.

aui.jpg

Using some signs I downloaded from the Internet and printed out I added them to the side wall sections. Before I cut out the signs I used some fine sandpaper on the back of the paper to “thin” the paper. After I glued them on the walls and they has set for a few minutes I used an old paint brush that I had cut the bristles down and went over the sign to make the details show through. This was my first attempt at adding paper signs I printed out to a structure.

auj.jpg

auk.jpg

I still to need to add some more signs to a few locations.

jkristia

Looks good Tom.
Just curious, what printer do you use to print the signs?, can you set the resolution on the printer say 200dpi so when you print a image you know exactly how big it will be?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Thanks folks.

Jasper
I printed the signs on an HP 8500 we have at work. I am not sure how to change the settings or if we can. The thing is 5+ years old and slated for replacement.

NYC-BKO

I guess Pinky likes to sleep in, eh!, no Breakfast, where do the LPB's eat in the morning.

Looking very nice!!:thumb:

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Brian

Thanks and let the LPP's know I have another kit; Model Power Hot Dog Stand that was purchased for a project on another forum a few years back. Due to some unfortunate circumstances the project never got off the ground. The kit was to be renamed "The Break Room" and would be open primarily for breakfast.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Time for the next update!

I printed out a sign for Pinky’s Place and then glued it to the sign structure after I had painted it. Next I attached the sign structure to the front wall section. Then I weathered the four wall sections. For weathering I dry brushed Folk Art Charcoal Black over the walls. After the dry brushed paint was dry I added the window glazing. I have also begun painting the shades. I will have more information about this soon. Still testing it.

Side View
aul.jpg

Rear View
aum.jpg

Windowless Side View
aun.jpg

Front View
auo.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Here are a few pictures of the sign structure.

Looks like Pinky needs to work on his sign somewhat. Given the condition of other parts of the building I guess we won’t hold our breath for him to clean it.
aup.jpg

Needs a little less work here.
auq.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
One great thing about these cheap Bachmann kits is you can temporarily throw it together to see what the finished product may look like.

Right Front Corner View
aur.jpg

Left Front Corner View
aus.jpg

Right Rear Corner View
aut.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
I finished the window signs. I used canopy glue to attach the signs. The signs were printed with my ink jet printer. I also painted the shades with Folk Art Wicker White. The curtains were painted with Folk Art Baby Blue.

Side View
auu.jpg

Rear View
auv.jpg

Front View
auw.jpg