Pine Straw in HO

DixonRobertson

Does anyone have a suggestion for modeling pinestraw on the ground in HO? I thought I would use chopped-up WS field grass, but they don't make any in dark brown. Is there some way to dye the field grass? And do I need a "puffer" to spread it on the ground if I don't want it to stand up?

Thanks,

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
By "pine straw" I think you mean the pine needles commonly seen on the forest floor in (for example) red pine plantations.

There are other manufacturers of similar materials besides WS. Try Scenic Express or Silfor...? The "puffer" is to (try to) make the grass stand up, so if that's not what you want, don't use it ;)

Let's see a few pictures of your experiments and/or solution...! :)

Andrew

spitfire

Relic said:
Try jute twine, just cut to desired lenth with scissors,makes good hay too, takes paint well

Suggest you paint it before you cut it!!
sign1 sign1 sign1

Val

Russ Bellinis

spitfire said:
Suggest you paint it before you cut it!!
sign1 sign1 sign1

Val

The other way that might work as well is to mix up a batch of Rit dye to the correct color and then cut the jute and soak it in the dye. Dry it, and put it on your scene.

Relic

You could do either,for my hay{on barn floor}I just used it as is, for clumps of tall grass I dip it in thin paint then shove it through a styrofoam plate and put a dab of glue on the ends spray the top{above ground} with clear, works for me