Pilatus PC 6 Porter

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by buzuc, Mar 22, 2006.

1. buzuc

buzuc New Member

Does anyone know where I can find a good model of the Pilatus PC-6 Porter ?
    I've found the one from http://www.schreiber-bogen.de but it's really "low detailed":(
  2. 46rob

46rob Member

Why not buy their 1/50 scale version instead of the free down load? A rating of "moderaltely difficult" tells me that it's quite a bit more complex than the "freebie". Remember--you usually get what you pay for.
  3. buzuc

buzuc New Member

Yes, the pay version is better but it's still not detailled enough (that's my opinion of course)...

Just to remind evrybody of what I'm searching, here is a picture of the "beast" :

Thanks !
  4. 46rob

46rob Member

Their Spirit of St Louis seems detailed enough.....and it's about the same skill level. Many times, it's up to the modeler to increase the level of detail in a kit. Go back through the forum and see what some of the other modelers have done with basic kits.
  5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Swiss Pilatus Porter PC-6"HB-FAN"

Hi buzuc and Rob,

I have also built Schreiber´s little free yellow and red Pilatus PC-6 model - it´s a beauty!
    I have also started to do a larger version of this model (which is one of my favourites) when I got a larger A3 printer.
    I Googled the Pilatus, and there is a society in Switzerland who tries to raise funds to re-build, or rather make a replica of, the crashed Pilatus Porter "HB-FAN" of the 1960 Himalayan Expedition to Dhaulagiri. This was the first Pilatus Porter that was put into service. The wreck is still high up in these mountains, were it crashed in the finishing stages of the expedition. This is indeed an exciting story!
    I´ve thought about ordering the larger 1:50 model (with the skis and the big exhaust pipe on the left hand side), and I think I will.
    I will then probably scan it and build a 1:33 or a 1:24 model...

If you Google the Swiss Himalayan Expedition 1960, you´ll see pictures, and a very nice model of this plane at the society´s site!

Good luck!
  6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Porter Vintage Association

Care for a vintage Porter, anyone?

Here´s the background story of the "HB-FAN Yeti" Porter used in the Swiss Himalayan Expedition of 1960 - the first Pilatus Porter PC-6 in service.
    This is the plane that Schreider has designed a card model from.

Refer to "yeti specs" and "yeti history" for info on this specific airplane on the page below.
    Under "our project", you can read about the Associations plan to restore the crashed "Yeti" to its former glory. A commendable project indeed.