Piers For Walthers Double Track Truss

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
If I was to run two of Walthers HO double track truss bridges back-to-back, how many piers would be required to look prototypical of such a setup? Thanks...just want to make sure I order what I need. Hate it when I'm in the middle of a project only to find out I forgot something or didn't get enough of something.:curse:

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Are you talking about two bridges side-by-side (i.e. parallel), or end-to-end?

If you are running end-to-end, then two end abutments and one central pier.

If you are running side by side, you can place individual abutments under the ends of each bridge or fabricate one large abutment. Well, actually you'll need two, or do you.

What i've found in all of my bridge travels is that as long as you follow a few proto building techniques like using stone, concrete or wood for your abutments, what you come up with to support your bridge's ends will end up being prototypical.

also, don't be afraid to mix abutment materials. I've seen one abutment being made of cut stone and the other of poured concrete.

The following pics are of a deck plate girder bridge, but the original was a truss. If you look real close through the trees you can see the remains of an original stone abutment (nice detail touch).

Actually, further south down the river in Springfield there is an example of twin truss spans running across the river. However, I think that each span is single track.

I have to go by there today, I'll see if I can catch some pics. I was planning on doing that in the fall after the leaves fell, but... in the name of MRRing, I'll do it.

Attachments

• Chicopee-Holyoke_CT_river.jpg
    Chicopee-Holyoke_CT_river.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Chicopee-Holyoke_CT_river_e_abutment.jpg
    Chicopee-Holyoke_CT_river_e_abutment.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 33

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
I was planning on running them end to end. I was pretty sure I was only going to need one pier but I thought it better to ask before I placed my order and didn't get everything I needed. Thanks for the photos and the reply. Don't know what I do without you guys and your help. I think I will refer to the new layout as "our" layout because I wouldnt be able to do it without all the help I get here at The Gauge. This place is grrrrreat!! :thumb:

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
ezdays said:
Uhh, don't forget the other two on each end...:D

I already have the abutments and wings. I was only going to use 1 bridge since 2 with everything (abutments, piers, shinohara code 83 track, etc.) will be about $150.00 with shipping but I have no choice but to use two so I will have to buy another bridge, the track and the pier.