Pictures ?? !!

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Bob Collins, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Bob Collins

Bob Collins Active Member

Shamus sending the neat card reminded me of an idea I had some time ago and promptly forgot (old age, and I see I'm older than Shamus too).

What if each of us with a digital, or other camera too, took a picture of something that was representative of the area of the world where you live and could share with the rest of us. Maybe it is a picture of your home, or your flower garden or your kids, but something that helps each of us put names with places we have then seen.

Dumb idea?

:confused:

Bob
  2. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Bob,
    Nice idea that, I'll see what I can come up with.
    Shamus
    [​IMG]
  3. justind

justind Member

With the christmas season upon us I think it is fitting...I would sure like to see some pics from places that are still warm :( . I hate the cold and the snow (which is still coming down by the way...sheesh!).
    A quick question about posting pics...
    I am using Angelfire.com for my webpage, but when I link pics here that I have posted there, they sometimes come up as the true image (a little oversized) and sometimes they come up with a "hosted by angelfire" logo instead of the picture. Why is that? Is this unique to Angelfire?
  4. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

website pics

Justin,
    There are previous threads on what you describe with your pic. Those site (geocities included) do not allow a pic to be "called" from another site/html other than HTML that resides on their site. It is to stop people jst using those "free" sites to store heaps of pics etc. Why it display sometimes, is that you will have looked at the pic previous, through the "correct" mechanisms, and the pic will still be in your browser cache.
  5. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Somewhere warm??

:cool:
    Oh the joys of Christmas!! (bragging hehehe)

Try Christmas in Sydney

.... just a sample!
    [​IMG]

Make ya jealous??? :cool: :cool: :D
  6. Bob Collins

Woodie;

What's the famous topless beach in Sydney? Maybe we could ask you to find your way out there for a few more shots to raise our Christmas spirit. Only kidding about that, but this is the sort of fun we might have with pictures from around the world. I have a special one I'll post later when I have a couple of minutes to find it. It will be special for our friend jimmybeersa, but I think one all will enjoy :)

Bob
  7. justind

justind Member

I was afraid of that

Thanks Woodie, I was afraid of that. It seems that Shamus can usually see them, and my computers at school, but not these at work, nor my home PC, nor most of the members on the board. It is a pain, maybe I should look into an online photo album. Any suggestions?

(Summer at Christmas time, that just isn't right...who wants to go to Aussi with me???)
  8. Bob Collins

Jimmybeersa and all;

Here is a pix of what Santa uses in the southern hemisphere to pull his sleigh :D

Tried to get this old girl to come home with me from Addo, Eastern Cape, South Africa, but she said it was too cold here in Missouri :rolleyes:

I'll see if I can find a picture a little closer to home.

Bob

Attached Files:

9. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Piccie Display

Justin,
    The only way to get piccies to display in here (such as I, and Bob Collins have done in this thread), is to place them on "unrestricted" webspace, or use the "attach file" option as part of your post (click "browse" below the typing box). I am not aware of any "free, unrestricted" webspace anymore. All sites that provided that have now placed restrictions on how images are included in webpages. The "attach file" option implies the pic must reside on your own pooter, and it will "upload" it to The Guage. I get 10 MEG free webspace as part of my ISP deal. That is the norm here, however I believe they do not provide this as part of your ISP in the US.

Bob, not a problem going topless at any Sydney beach, however I believe the one your refer to is Tamarrama (or Glamourama) as we refer to it. Never been there. My top is a less attractive than others!:eek:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Just my impression of passengers in the bus going past Glamourama!)
  10. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

OK, here's my beach shot.
    These are my four daughters on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, this past June.
    They're my reason for gettin' up in the morning.
    I also named my RR The Four Sisters Branch after them.

Attached Files:

11. Bob Collins

Charlie;

Great picture and a great looking family. And I love the outer bank of North Carolina! My family was pallning to have a family reunion in San Diego in 2003, but I think most have agreed they would rather go to a beach in North Carolina. Many years ago when we lived in Fayetteville, NC we would go to Atlantic Beach on vcation every opportunity.

Bob
  12. Bob Collins

Here are why grandfathers think they are pretty special and I feel exactly the same. These are my identical twin grand daughters who will be five on January 6th. They live about 200 miles from us and we visit them every opportunity, like Christmas :D

Bob

Attached Files:

13. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Congratulations X 2, Bob!
    My mother is a twin, & I know they do everything as a team, which can be good or bad, depending on what you're on the receiving end of! :D
    BTW - S. Nags Head, NC is one of my favorite places on the planet! We've been going there for years, even before we had kids! (Ya' know... that might be how we ended up with one or two of 'em...:) )
  14. Bob Collins

The moderator for this thread may be tearing out his hair about this time, but I for one think it is great to get to know folks a little better. That's one of the reasons I really prefer the Gauge over any of the other opportunities we have on the net. I've posted a few messages on Trainboard, but it seems to me so large and impersonal, so far. maybe that will change if I stick with it, but I like it here.

Woodie gave me some great information about the availability of Australian HO steam locos and rolling stock. I feel certain I will have some of my own before long. I'd also like to get my hands on information on compatible UK HO. How about an HO loco patterned on the Mallard, claimed to be the fastest steam loco ever!

Holden Beach is where a friend here in Rolla goes almost every summer. When you are at Holden and look straight out from the beach you are looking straight south. It is along the coast where it runs from west to east!

Bob
  15. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Well, here's one of the people responsible for my renewed interest in the hobby. My son is a train fanatic! Here are some train-related pictures.

From upper-left, going clockwise: Bryan asleep with his favorite book, Thomas the Tank Engine: The Complete Collection; Showing off his new engineer overalls (he outgrew his old pair); Driving the Blue Diesel (my truck...note that he's pulling on the whistle...never mind the fact that he's driving it like a steam engine!); Decorating the Christmas Tree (complete with train...in fact he's hanging up little locomotive ornaments)

Attached Files:

16. Bob Collins

Having no grandson and four grand daughters who haven't shown any interest in trains, I didn't figure I really had anyone to build the layout for until I finally woke up one day and said why not build it for yourself:rolleyes:

It would be great to have a Bryan to help me out. There are three young men about his age at church who will eventually become my helpers, but I'd like to get into a bit more of an operational mode before I invite them out to "help."

Bob
  17. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Okay, here we go.
    All five of my Grandchildren.
    Top left Sarah & Nathan - Top right Adam Dan & Jason these three live in the USA Florida.
    Nathan,Jason,Adam & Dan are really into trains, Nathan has Thomas the tank.

Me working on the now defunct Badger Creek plus little ol me with Alan Curtis of Alan Curtis Models, we met at the Warley Model Railroad Exhibition.

Shamus
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. Bob Collins

If anyone has me on their Christmas list this is what I'd like to have :D

How about it Shamus, could you swing it for me?

Bob

Attached Files:

19. shamus

shamus Registered Member

My My My, That's Beautiful, reminds me of my Mallard when I was just a kid (100 years ago)
    Shamus
    [​IMG]
  20. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Ooooo! That's pretty slick! I don't suppose that they are available in the U.S....

-Rory