Picture thread of your Logging, Mining, or unique industrial equipment.

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
No I looked @ that pic earlier, and it shows two cables going off in the distance, but are they seperate leads, requiring horses or mules to return the cable, or is one a haul back for the other? That might be the way I rig mine, unless I can come up with some good information

The picture I'm working with doesn't show the center legs either,

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
SMLhdfr&SS.jpg more progress

Here is a shot of the last progress. The smokestack is getting it's latters, so I can throw the box it came out , to help keep the clutter down in my hobby closet. the smoke stack can go back to the Furnace as soon as the glue dries on those pesky railings!

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
SMLhdrg&SS.jpg Close

This ones getting close. I found some pullies I can use and some cast tongs. I may end up raiding some other models for winches & boilers for mine, Tom, your going to be on your own when it comes to machinery.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
SMLspwblr.jpg the begginings of a boiler

I went hunting for a boiler to rob ( laid off- little train budget, and saving what I have for the 3 foot gauge MMI 4-4-0's I have on reserve). Lord knows how long it is going to take for them to make them, or what they will cost, but I have two on reserve in HOn3 and one in On3 would probably eat a year and a half's train budget in a good year

The only boilers of the proper size were in machines I was adverse to touching, so out came the shoebox full of brass pieces. Thank God for telescoping tubing!

It still needs a lot of work, but here is the start

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Doctor G

Sep 1, 2008
Clarksville, Tennessee
Love that Surrey Parker!!

This ones getting close. I found some pullies I can use and some cast tongs. I may end up raiding some other models for winches & boilers for mine, Tom, your going to be on your own when it comes to machinery.

Bill Nelson

Hey Bill,

THese are great pictures of a beautiful model taking shape here. I am honored to be the recipient of such a carefully constructed piece of logging history.

Also Santa goofed in his presents for the On30 Haitian Sugar mini layout here at my house. He sent 6 of the Bacmann On30 side dump cars when only 3 were requested (they come in three packs).

So, we are going to have a swap. For all those hours under an optivisor and your help on this C&S Surrey Parker project you are going to get a "three pack"of On30 side dump cars for your planned On30 layout. I know you will be able to figure a way to reguage the cars as you are plenty talented in fiddling with these little creatures.

Here's a photo of what you are going to receive from a grateful president of the C&S RR.
Doc Tom:wave:

Attachments

• ehobbies-com_2035_220520455.gif
    ehobbies-com_2035_220520455.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 140

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
SMLCN60.jpg SMLdnktnksfrplgbs.jpg SMLpltsfrpltgrbrs.jpg SMLCN60.jpg SMLdnktnksfrplgbs.jpg SMLpltsfrpltgrbrs.jpg OH Goody Goody Goody

I whve been wnting to get some of those in my hands to try to spread them into On3

MY CN # 60 shay looks silly with a normal On3 car. with this shortened Bachman coach, it is still odd looking.

perhaps making an ore transfer where the Shay dumps iron ore into larger cars handled by the as of yet still not widened On30 Climax, can be the beginning module of a 0n3 maxy -mini the Shay really wants 20 inch radiusses, so a mini layout is right out.

I have posted a photo that shows how I use pieces of plate girder bridges to make water tanks for donkeys, and in this case the SP loader. next is a photo that shows how another piece of the plate girder bridge to make bracing plates, in this case for the 1st of the Surry Parkers.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
SMLsteamgauge.jpg SMLsteamgauge.jpg found,a steam gauge!

I was cleaning up the work table and I found what I thought was a white metal casting. I thought "I'll use this as a steam gauge for that boiler I made." Then I realized it wasn't white metal , and I had to scratch my head thinking what is this thing, and where did it come from.

Look at the water tank on the previous post. After I had cut the styrene for the top of the tank, and before I glued it on the tank I added a small scrap of styrene to the bottom of the top of the tank, in the center where the filler neck would go., to double up the thickness there for strength. I was to lazy to drill a hole, so I got the little metal tube that would be the filler neck, got it real hot, and used the end to melt a hole in the top of the tank. I poked the little piece of plastic out of the pipe, and ACCed the pipe into the tank lid, with the right amount sticking up.

my steam gauge is the little piece of plastic that was in the tube's center!

I love it when I make fine parts by accident!

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
SMLevhah&dhst.jpg SMLAH&Dhst#2.jpg SMLevhah&dhst.jpg SMLAH&Dhst#2.jpg Hunting for machinery!

In to the stacks of stockpiled materials! I found an evergreen hills model for an AH&D two spool hoist. I had purchased two of these years ago, and one of them was kitbashed and pasts of it found their way into a much larger machine.

The last one I built I think I just used the hoist, and that is what will happen this time. sometime I need to gather up all of the pieces of donkeys I have and detail up a donkey shops scene, probably at the back door of the car shops in Crooked Creek , with all the leftover parts from my many and varied donkey kitbashes laying around.

In the second photo I show the kit opened, so you can see the tiny parts-very well done, good detail very little flash. I cant crituiqe the instructions, as I've never read them. This kit has the same failing that the Bachman skidder does I't s on a shipping skid

Also in that second photo is a largeish sigle drum hoist, robbed off of a lesser project, which will run the skidding line on the Surry Parker. the two drum unit will use one drum to work the haul back, and the other to run the loader

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
SML SP inTT#3.jpg SML SP in TT#2.jpg SMLSPinTT#1.jpg SML SP in TT#4.jpg SML SP in TT#5.jpg Test fit

I test fit Surry Parker #1 up in Terrapin, and it fits like I thought it would, and looks like it ourld do the job that the Barnhardt's looked like thy were struggling to do

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
skellies?

That's a heck of a scene there! :thumb:

Also, who makes those logging skellies?

Thanks, it has been in the works a long time. I am not familiar with the term skellie. so a definition is needed for me to answer the question, unless I can guess, or hit it by accident.

The log buggies are models of a Grasse River prototype (upstate New York, I believe) made by Keystone locomotive works. Excellent cats, they are cast metal, so they are easy to knock together, and hace a low center of gravity, and weigh enough even when they are empty. I use roundhouse trucks under them with Jay bee metal wheelsets, and they behave well under outragious conditions,

The little skid shacks are scratchbuilt models of units that were ubiquituous in the east. Mine are scratched (I built eight, and kept the pateren, as I'd like to have at least eight more. One of the lazer companies sells a nice kit that builds two, but since I wanted a whole bunch, I scratched them up from materials at hand (I like to have a lot of materials at hand).

So if you'll tell me what a skellie is, I'll tell you where mine came fron (my guesses were informed by things there were two of.

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
Another nice feature of the Keystone log buggies is they have provisions for rails across the top to support Barnhardts. The kits give you code 100 rail, which I replace with code 70. IHC makes a plastic Barnhart (a log loader , which is a factory kitbash of a Marrion steam shovel), which is reasonable a regular price, and is regularly on sale, and at sale price it is a steal.

Before the IHC offering, Keystone made the only Barnhart. it builds into a nice macine, but the model is made from heavy white metal castings, and thus is heavy (on some eastern operations, Barnhart's stayed with the log train, and rode all the way to the mill on the first or last car of the log train). The heavy weight, with a high center of gravity was a contributing factor to many wrecks over the years, and my Keystone Barnhardt, which is probably been in service 35 years, has been re kitted several times. It now lives full time @ the log reload at the interchange between the narrow gauge and the standard gauge at Ridgemont Tn. At the end of the standard gauge sidding there is a broken log buggy. one truck sets on the rails. the other is missing, and cribbing holds up that end of the car. The coupler is fixed with the jaw open, making a track bumper, and a place to park the Barnhardt. All my log cars have or will get rails installed on the deck, so the Barnhart never has to take the risky trip on the rails (The IHC Barnhardts are light, and seldom crash spectacularly or otherwise, and tend to bouce test well)

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
SMLLGRLwbht.jpg SMLIHCbrdhrdt.jpg SML logtruck.jpg variations on a theme-Barnhardts

The Barnhardt was , like the skidshack, ubiquitous to the eastern logging scene. Most skidshacks got put on the log cars on moving day via Barnhardt.

The Barnhardt was a loggers idea. He studied a steamshovel, and decided it would me a good starting point for a self propelled log loader, that could travel on rails on log cars. He went to the steamshovel company, and logging in the east was never the same.

The first photo shows the old and many times rebuilt Keystone Barnhardt that works the log reload @ Ridgemont Tn. The narrow gauge log cars are also a Keystone Locomotive Works cars, which are also good gars, due to thier cast white metal construction, they weigh enough to track well, even on the rough code 55 handlayed track at the reload, which was laid before there was a narrow gauge railroad to hook to it, and all the operation I invisioned for it was to have a narrow gauge log train move to the right or left, in order to clear crossing on the standardgauge siding to the log reload, or dual gauge switches , on the right side of the passing siding.

The standard gauge log cars are MDC shorty flats, which used to be available in 3 pack kits. Thes make nice cars, as they have metal underframes, they have enough low wieght to operate well empty, especially if you replace the wheel sets provided will all metal wheel sets. Note the operation tab. Dr. Tom's and my tab on car operation system, borrowed from Johm Allen, is discussed in the treads on our systems C&S and DG CC & W RR Logging in east Tn.

Also note the tiny skidder, made from a farm tactor and the treads from a logging arch all woodland's scenics parts I think. This is the kind of thing that happens when you dump a lot of castings in a box. I think thre is enough stuff in there to make a steam powered tracked machine like a phonex or a lombard- Stay tuned)

The second photo is an IHC Barnhardt working the dry storage spot on the log dump track. If your switching the mill, and you had a yellow tab with the #7 on it, you would deliver the car here, or as close as you can get (they are suposed to have a car puller). The cars are modified MDC shorty flats, with rails for the Barnhardts the booms stick up pretty high on the IHC Barnharts, which prevent them from going through tunnels or under brigdes, so those tend to get lowered. this one hasn't had its guy ires replaced sine it's boom was lowered.

and the 3rd photo is a log truck, only a few of these around, the roads are pretty bad down here in Gorre County Tn

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
omitted info

Next to the barbhardt in the first photo is an altered 25 ton brownhurst crane, whose boom was extended (the local shops did a sloppy job), and whose steel cab was replaced with a haphazard roof. I have a Rio Grande Models kit for a AH & D log loader, which will probably replace this machine, if I ever get around to building it, which would probably send this ugly machine to the club.

Bill Nelson

Doctor G

Sep 1, 2008
Clarksville, Tennessee
Hi Bill,
Enjoying all the great pictures!

The history of the development of the Barnhart was also very interesting.

You have a wealth of logging knowledge. Keep up the good work.

Doc Tom:thumb:

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
SML becoming a boiler.jpg SMLboiler???.jpg Boilers

I may have found a boiler for the #2 unit. here are some progress photos.

one discouraging note. normal styrene glue wont tpuch these things.

I glued the base to the trimed tube with some stuff I had gotten for one of my R/C boat projects, and I heated up the brass tube that makes the smoke stack, and melted it into place.

Bill.

Last edited: