Picture of the week

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by Rick Thomson, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Hi all,

I've been looking at this photo for the last few days, and I'm buggered if I can figure out what it is exactly.

Some sort of a buddist temple, a wierd hot air balloon?

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

3. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Chris, and others....

Ashrunner and I routinely scour the various threads and galleries in search of interesting models for the POTW.

Granted that Cardmodels.net started out with a mostly military bent, most of us build those types of models, but that didn't mean we did welcome something different.

like your Mikoshi, or Martin's thunderfighter from Buck Rogers, or Webdude's Howl's Flying Castle, which are unique and interesting models, and deserving of the POTW honors.

So, one might just wonder "How can I get my model up there?"

Simple, post pictures of your completed build in your gallery, or at the end of a build report, take what is to you, "The Money Shot"

If Ashrunner or myself see that people like that picture, don't be soo surprised if you see it as a future POTW.

4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thanks :) I still didnt expect it :) I will keep posting them as I do them though! Just wish I could cut as often as I wanted too :( :(
  5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Ok, so Buddist Temple wasn't so far off then.
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Thanks Rick................I was afraid to show my ignorance because I didn't have a glue either! Guess I ain't as brave as you are!

Great build, but maybe we need a caption at the bottom of the POTW with info on who what, and or where!:-D

For scared ignorant people like myself!

7. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I have been trying to figure out a way of putting a caption on the POTW. I need to FTP the image to a folder for it to show here, so I don't have direct access to the page. I have tried adding a caption at the bottom of the image and saving it all as a pic and uploading it, but it didn't look good, and frankly looked amaturish. In the end, I decided I wouldn't add a caption and let folks admire the image. After all, over the weekend, it mysteriously disappears off the front page and ends up in the Hall of Fame where all the info is posted.

8. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

May I make a pictorial suggestion? If you paste the image on a slightly larger image with the background color same as the window...
  9. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

In the past, I have done something similar to that. It works for some photos, but not all photos. In the process of getting a photo to fit under the size restrictions of this forum, quality of the image suffers. I am restricted in the size in 'kb' of the image I can post as the POTW.

If I was to add a layer of text to an image which was already as small as it could be, merge the layers and then bring the image down to the size required for publication, it would suffer with more artifacts and not look as good as it originally did.

After running tests on various images trying to add captions to the images, I decided against it when not every image looked good enough for the POTW after a caption was added. I cannot overlook someone who is limited in his or her ability to upload a high quality image of their builds. It would not be fair to them or their work.

Being a digital photographer and former editor of seven newspapers, I will admit I have a critical eye when it comes to images. But the POTW slot is not for the "best" images, but to highlight great work all of our membership is doing. I just hope when the new POTW pops up for the first time each week, someone says, "That's my model!" with a huge smile.

And don't forget to look into the Hall of Fame and check out other work of past POTW builders.
  10. Hugh

Hugh New Member

New picture of the week

Sorry to change the subject here, but I have a query about the new picture of the week. Looks like the MM model of the Battleship Potemkin; if so I would like to hear more about it, as I am in some despair about the fit of the parts... thanks in advance,
  11. popala

popala Member

How about placing the title of the picture in the alt/title property of the href tag?
    No room required on the screen.
  12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Ash, just to amplify and second you, there is a great thrill to have one of your models up on potw. There is a sort of neat pride in pulling up the site and finding your model on the home screen, and nagging your workmates and family to look what I did. And as you pointed out card models are very much more than military equipment. When the cathedral pic was up, I was stunned at how cool a non military model looked. However you work out the bugs keep it up, I vicariously live through all our works and tell people, see that's what we do!
  13. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I only have access through FTP to upload the image to the section of the site the POTW is placed. As I mentioned before, I am limited by size (approximately 600x420 @ <40k) and name (month.jpg). I have no other access to POTW html code.

14. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

The ship is Digital Navy's Oslyabya made by Swiftsword. You can see more of the ship at http://www.cardmodels.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=48

15. Hugh

Hugh New Member

one russian battleship looks....

much like another....,but a fine model anyway, and thank you for the reply. Has anyone built the Potemkin model at URL has been removed by the admin ? This site offers free archived Maly Modelarz models from 1957 to 1993. It appears to be a legitimate site, not a pirate, as the archives are so complete. Definite problems with sizing of the images though. Perhaps this ought to go on the internet finds list but I'm only a Junior member (at 60) so dont how to do it!:???:
  16. rickstef

rickstef Guest

While many sites appear to be legit, this one I am afraid is not.

Any site offering freely downloadable scans of MM Kits is to be considered a pirate site.

Maly Modelarz still holds the copyright on all of these models, and we will honor those copyrights here in this forum.

As the old saying goes, If it sounds(or looks) to good to be true, it probably is

17. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Maly Pirates

Rickstef, Thank you. I really thought this site was good - obviously not. Can you legitimaly buy MM models anywhere? The early ones are very clunky but have a period charm - I was brought up on Micromodels in the 50s - and I admire their simplicity compared with the excellent but sometimes overpowering detail of some of the modern productions.

Yours Hugh
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

19. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

20. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

OK...someone here has got to pay my dentist bills...this bouncing my lower jaw off the desktop is getting painful...

Dunno who is the builder of the Picture of the Week (Week 46), but that is a drop dead beautiful steam locomotive.