picture of the week

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by rwguess, Jul 23, 2006.

1. rwguess

rwguess Member

that is a fantastic model of the nasa spacecraft
    i am assuming its a delta 7 model

does any one know what set it is from

and while i ask about delta 7 any one know when the apollo cd set is due for release?

2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I thought it was a Gemini Capsule..................I think I saw it as someone's Avatar........
  3. dhanners

dhanners Member

Yep, it is the Delta 7 Studios model. Actually, I combined a couple of the models from D7S's "Project Gemini" CD to make this model, and threw in a fair amount of scratchbuilding, too.

I started with the "Splashdown" model, which gives you half of the capsule and a sea base. The hatches on the capsule are closed, but most every photo I've seen of a Gemini after splashdown had the hatches open. As luck would have it, there's another model on the CD that has the full interior; it's meant to model Gemini 4, which had the first American spacewalk.

However, the model only features one open hatch, and I wanted both hatches open. The printer that I had at the time (it was an hp, but I can't remember the model) had a feature on it that allowed you to print backwards. (For all I know, my current printer can do this too, but I haven't figured out how to do it yet....) So I printed the page with the hatch interior backwards, and it allowed me to open the hatch on the other side.

The normal sea base that comes with the "Splashdown" model is flat, and since I added the capsule interior, I had to add sides to the base to raise it enough to include the interior.

Next, I scrfatchbuilt some details on the nose of the capsule.

The Gemini astronauts didn't open the hatches until the recovery divers had placed the flotation collars on the capsule, so I had to model that, too. I scoured my own reference materials, as well as numerous sites online, to find decent photos of the flotation device. Once I got the basic shapes, I made it out of yellow paper. There is small stenciled printing on each "leg" of the collar, though, so I replicated it on my computer and printed it onto the yellow paper. Then I cut out the yellow paper and basically made long half-cylinders. There are green and red lines on the flotation collars, and I used strips of green and red paper to replicate those.

Lastly, I took dental floss and colored it to replicate the ropes that are attached to the collar.

I'm going mainly from memory here, but it was a fun project, and I have great respect for D7S's design skills. I am waiting for them to come out with their "Project Apollo" CD. It seems they've been promising it forever. Then again, I've never designed a paper model on the computer, so I have no idea how long it takes, especially with something as complex as all the models they're promising on the CD.
  4. rwguess

rwguess Member

any chance of publishing a build on that ?

and possibly a pdf of the additional parts you used?

yeah im prolly asking alot but man

boy this should be a d7 kit its just tooo cool especially if it could fit inside a

8,5 x 11 frame

kudos to you that is one nice built scratch built

5. Gearz

Gearz Member

My first thoughts ~ "Is... that.. a.. card... model?' Spectacular! definitely one of the premier examples for the hobby.

6. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

a cardmodel ? unbelievable..................

outstanding work and a very nice diorama..................

best regards FLU
  7. Iron Duck

Iron Duck Member

Did you draw that free-hand? Wow, you are very talented.... i saw them doing exercises with one of them down by the lake. You don't really realize how big it is til you see it in action. Good job...