Picture help

Runs With Bears

Sorry for the double thread.. but i wasnt sure where to put it. It is in the newbie section but i figured more people view this one and may be able to answer it, so here i go...

I am having a bit of a problem viewing a lot of the pictures on the site. I realize that this is about half of the greatness of this site and would like to be able to see some pictures sometimes. It can get a bit frustrating hearing all the great reviews on pictures then not being able to see them. So... any ideas whats wrong? I will sometimes get a box with a smaller white box with a red "X" inside and i can see the picture. Some times nothing will show up at all and the only clue i will get to a photo being there is a small space or reference to it in the post. Do you think it is something with my browser settings? or am i just missing something?

Thanks for the help
smile.gif

About 90% of the pics on this site show up fine for me, but I think there are some- usually linked to outside sites like photobucket or whatever - that folks delete or move i think...

Perhaps your browser settings? Do you have this problem on other sites as well? Do you have a sample thread that you could show? How does the gallery appear?

Runs With Bears

hiscopilot... on several other train forum websites i get problems viewing pictures but it is always ones directly attached to a post. Any links i can usually see fine. I know i was looking at a few a Shamus' pictures a while ago and i could not see those.. I'll see if i can find (or not see haha..:rolleyes: ) some other examples. I appreciate that you are taking the time to help me out on this one!:)

By the way, i basically know nothing about my browser settings so i dont know if this is the problem..

And lastly, i can see all of the gallery images and have no problem with that at all..

Russ Bellinis

The Gauge does not allow the posting of copywrited pictures from other sites unless you are the copywrite owner or have permission from the copywrite owner to post the pic. People still will grab a pic from other sites with a copywrite clearly printed on the bottom of the picture and post it. When ever one of the moderators spots a pic with a copywrite posted with no indication that the individual who posted it has the right to borrow it, the pic is deleted and the white box with the little red x appears in place of the pic.

doctorwayne

Hiscopilot is correct: usually the red "X" means that the photo was linked from an outside source. Pictures linked from photobucket seem to "expire" if they're not viewed within a certain time frame. When I realised that, I used to go back through all of my own threads at least once a month, just to ensure that the pictures would be there if anyone wanted to see them. I've sinced placed all of my photos in the Gallery, here on the Gauge, and the pics are always available for viewing, both in the threads and in the Galllery.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to view pictures that are posted like mine, but I do know that to get the full use of features available on the Gauge, "cookies" need to be "enabled". I would normally just eat them, :D but somehow some must've gotten "enabled", as pictures show up fine. I don't know how to change that setting, but then there are lots of computery things I don't know!:eek:ops:

Wayne

Runs With Bears

Ok thanks for the help, i think that clears some things up a bit...

I did notice however that a lot of the longer threads gave me more problems than the smaller ones. This might be because of the photobucket thing or whatever expiring like doctorwayne mentioned... I tried messing around with my settings and it seemed to help a lot but, not to blame them, i was looking back on Nazguls layout thread and some of Deanos and i could not see a lot of the pictures, no matter how hard i wished i could =(

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Russ Bellinis said:
When ever one of the moderators spots a pic with a copywrite posted with no indication that the individual who posted it has the right to borrow it, the pic is deleted and the white box with the little red x appears in place of the pic.

Well, actually what we prefer to do is ask the poster to please remove the photo and replace it with a link to the picture instead.

Ralph

It may also depend on your server timing out- if you have a slower connection, noise on the line, or a slower computer... as these are all problems I have had in the past.

The best is to enable cookies, make sure your security settings are set at medium or lower (you should have a firewall and virus program that protects the rest), and the most updated version of your web browser.