pic's of my unfinished oil refinary modular.

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, May 3, 2007.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i hope this works

Attached Files:

2. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

some more

Attached Files:

3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i am thinking about taking out all of the ballast and replacing it with a finer ballast. what do you all think?
  4. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

That's the first thing that caught my eye. The ballast looks way to big.

5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

it did not look to big in the bag....lol it do look bigger in the pics for some reason tho.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

That is one cool little building!

But yeah..... the ballast looks just a touch too big.
  7. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

I agree. Ballast looks too big. That lamp at the end of the table could almost pass for being the moon!
  8. CAS

CAS Member

Thought the same. Had to take another look. It looks cool, though.

What size ballast are you useing? It does look a little to big.

9. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

the ballast is woodland scenics medium gray blend.
  10. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

The refinery looks very convincing, good work ozzy.
    I think most N scalers use W.S. fine ballast. Some HO scale modelers use the fine size too, they say medium is too big for HO scale.
  11. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

just remember its not done yet, i have lots of detail pieces and some other things on order, and some more thats back ordered for 2 more months.

i have some more kits to put together yet. and i have 3 oil pumps back ordered. i got the motors to make them move up and down but not the pumps...GRRRR.

i think im going to take up my ballast and use the fine stuff. im hoping that it wont be to hard to get all the bigger stuff up .

on this layout there will be 3 train running . each modular is 24" x 48" this is the first one.
  12. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

That looks really COOL so far, can't wait to see some more progress!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  13. wannabe-nscaler

wannabe-nscaler New Member

Please don't let that refinery get struck by lightning, catch fire, get hit by a huricane, or abducted by aliens!! Gas prices are already too high.
  14. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Nice looking scene Ozzy!
  15. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i am tired of paying so much for gas,,,, i decided to make my own....lol

16. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

well i think im going to go to town sat and get the fine ballast. and see what i can do. im hoping i dont have to rip the track its self up to get the bigger stuff off the layout.
  17. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

ok, how in the heck do you keep the fine ballast from washing away with the dropper?
  18. BNSFtheLeader

BNSFtheLeader Member

Lol, soap/Water solution :) Read the back of the bag, it gives you directions on how to properly apply the product.

To take up the old ballast, I would suggest your finger and a clean vacuum.
    in between the rails run a small flat head screwdriver up and down the rails a few times to loosen up the top and vac, off.
    What kind of adhesive did you use?
  19. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

scenic cement and water 50/50
  20. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

here is a pic with the fine ballast. now whatdo you think? it look right or not?

Attached Files: