Pics of my n-scale train set- need suggestions!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by lightbulb8817, Dec 24, 2003.

1. lightbulb8817

lightbulb8817 New Member

I like to see images... so i figured you guys do too. :D

Here are two more images. They show the back of the mountain.

2. SmolderZ

SmolderZ Member

Thnx Charlie!!!, I can really use those too! :D

lightbulb8817, you got a very nice track there, keep up the good work, I got nothing to add, but plz show us many pics of your process :)

btw, Merry Christmas everyone :)
  3. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Lightbulb, you asked about track and wheel cleaning. I use Isopropyl Alcohol which you can get at any pharmacy (16 oz bottle for about a buck). I have a seperate track mounted on a board with foam covered stops at each end to protect the engines from running off the edges. I tack down a piece of white t-shirt cloth tightly over the track, soak it in alcohol, and run the locos over it. Hold them in place so the wheels slip over the cloth to wipe them clean. You can also wipe off track with this stuff. I get immediately good results.
  4. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Hi lightbulb!
    The secret to realistic ground cover is multiple layers of different textures...just like in the real world...
    Start by painting your scenic base with some earth-colored laytex paint, then sprinkle some sifted dirt, or sand into the wet paint...
    Next, get an old spray bottle, & fill it with water, & a few drops of liquid dish soap...spray this onto your dirt or sand...
    Now take an old glue bottle, & fill it half with water, & half white glue...flow this mixture over the wetted area, & sprinkle on some ground foam...repeat the water & glue application, & sprinkle on some more ground foam, try different colors & textures of foam...add more dirt or sand, add some twigs, small pebbles, or other "debris"...
  5. lightbulb8817

lightbulb8817 New Member

These suggestions are priceless. They help alot! :D

I'll do as all of you suggested. The grass will look so realistic, cows will eat it. My wheels will be squeaky clean too :cool:

Thanks again! I'll post more updates when I get the paint later today.