Picking On The Little Guys

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
*THAT* is the tricky part. I used to work at home for a couple of years, so I was always home to get the mail. Since the wife never really knew what was in my inventory, no problem.......

NOW, my wife usually picks me up and we get home together. Not so good. So I only buy things on the odd occasion, when I really want it, and when I get a really good deal.

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Mike,

Ive sent the article to you hope it came out alright.

To be truthfull my wife tolerates my train addiction.

I'll post a picture as soon as I get it,It might be a week,I've got to send them a money order first.

How long does it take to get your stuff?

Shane

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Kewl, it should be in my inbox when I get home.

It's usually about three weeks, give or take, from the time of the auction. That includes me getting the MO to the bidder. Keep in mind I'm in Canada, so it would probably be a few days less for you.

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Great minds - or something! I sent Andy an e-mail, too!

Meanwhile - food for thought:

The Rock Island Top 15 (in terms of numbers of locos owned over life of Line)

1. GP7 (130) - in almost every color scheme!
2. GP40 (77) - maroon to blue
3. GP38-2 (68) - blue, of course!
4. U28B (42)
5. U25B (39)
6. RS-3 (35)
7. GP35 (34) - (!) Has anyone made a Rock model??
8. F7A (31)
9. SW8 (30)
10. SW/SW900 (29)
11. U33B (25)
12. GP18 , NW2, SW1 tie (23)
13. GP9 (21)
14. FTA (20)
15. E8, F9AM (19)

Your thoughts ???

What do you think is the ideal "mix" for the ROCK era you are modeling ???

For me, in "late" to "mythical" era, looks like I need:

GP40 (have)
GP 38-2 (Ordered today - one of my other orders got canceled!)
U25B (on order - can stand in for U28B)
U33B (in R/Y or blue)
SW9 (have - will stand in for SW 8, 900)
GP9 (have)
GP18 (Hope to get this when P2K gets it out!)
F7A (have)
E8 (have, but could use another one in red/yellow)
and every GP7 in every color scheme I can get!

- George

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
WHOO WHOO. Picked up my first steam engine on ebay just over an hour ago, a Union Pacific 4-4-0. I guess I'll have to find out the nicknames of those babies. Should look pretty smart pulling around a couple Harriman coaches on my excursion train.

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Hi Guy's

Mike I'm glad the article came out this time.I'm a "newbie" to this box of wires.

Well I got working on my round house last night finaly got the turn table to line up with the round house. My(Atlas) turn table is mounted under the table making a "pit".

I also figured out why those atlas motor's make so much noise,especially the older gear driven,They have DC motors and your supposed to run it off the AC side on the pack.If you run it off the AC side you have no control over the speed so that little motor is "winding out" at full speed and their not solidly mounted,So I took one of my cheapo power packs and ran it off the DC side.Not only did it quite it down I can now controll the speed of the table.I figured this out by accident.My motor kept jambing up so I figured I had to slow the motor down,I'm glad I kept them "cheapo" controllers.

I also got some of my "pit bridge" done.

While I was going through my magizines last night/this morning I found my next project when my round house is done.Its a E8 #660,I found another article on the E8's for the yellow and the maroon like Mike's. It even has the pattern for the wings.Theres not too many detail parts,Like the GP38-2,but a few.If either of you want copies let me know.These are color pics too!!!!

Do either of you do painting?decal?detailing?

George,
Im not sure of your question on the ideal "mix"But I like to run black/red and marron.

Well the turntable should be dry some I'm off to put the guard rails on and paint the pit floor.

Shane

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
One more comment about eBay - sometimes you'll get stuff you're not quite as pleased with as you thought, *but* other times you'll get a gem.

One of my best engines is an unnumbered (need to do something about that) UP GP18 acquired in a lot with some other equipment. Still has horn hooks, but works like a dream, and can haul more than most of my other engines. Estimated cost, including shipping and customs: $18.31CDN.

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Mike,
Not a bad price,Iwas in there last night and saw some locos I'm trying to pick up,I like the low prices if you can keep it low.

The problem I run Into is not much in N-Scale so i've been looking at some that would be easy paints.

I like ebay, My wife just got my MO for the BL2,She told me that it was a great price!!!!! Then I showed her some of the things I was watching and she told me to bid on them!!!! I almost fell out of my chair. God love her.

I'm watching two locos now but the auction has about four days left so I'll wait till the last hour and put my high bid in and if I get them i get them if not oh-well.

Shane

PS.
George Ive got my guy in Mass looking for the green express cars for you.

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by RI541
George Ive got my guy in Mass looking for the green express cars for you.

Great!

By ideal "mix", I meant what RI loco types (and numbers of each type) would make up your ideal layout for the time era you are modeling?

Looks like for any era, at least a couple of GP7s are needed. By the numbers, the RI had a lot of those geeps !

I wish they made them in other color schemes. My current GP7 is in Red and Black, but that is best for the late 40's to the early 60's. Would love to have a RI BLUE GP7 for modeling the late era!May have to eventually repaint a R&B GP7 or buy an undecorated - but don't have an airbrush yet. The new P2K GP18, due out in August, seems to be in the red/yellow scheme, so that will help!

Shane, I would like a copy of that E8 article, if you would!
A maroon or red E8 with yellow wings is on my "must get" list!

Thanks!

- George

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
George,

I'd be glad to send you the article on the E8,I also have a great article on the GP38-2 its B/W but its got lots of detail.

You'll have to go into my profile page and e-mail me a note so i'll have your e-mail address.This will avoid you having to post it here,thats how I was able to get the GP article to Mike.

I think we might have to start a new thread this ones getting longand on the cover page it says last page.

I've got the round table bridge ready for paint,Just waiting for the glue to finish setting up.By the end of the week I'm hopping to have it back on line with some pics posted.

I'll load up the article on the E8's and it'll be ready to go when I hear from you.

What I meant with my guy in Mass was that he's going to see if he can get the express cars for me,Then if you want them i'll just ship them out to you,if you dont want them I'll have another set which will be good then I can put them on the "shelf".I dont know what the price will be.I paid 24.50 for mine.

Micro-Trains just came out with one,I picked up two at the last show I went to.

Shane

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I was thinking the same thing, grab myself an undec GP7 at some point and repaint it in blue; I found the kewlest pic of one today online (used it to weather my U36B).

The beautiful thing about the GP7's is that they can be used as regular motive power, *or* switchers for large yards. I already have a U36B, so that would stand in for the U-Boats.

Would definitely like a more prototypical switcher for the layout I'm going to start in the spring - and I do prefer the SW's over the RS. We'll have to see.

Again, the ROCK doesn't provide passenger service in my layout, so my E8's are displayed at my office.

At any rate, my preferred mix (assuming 10 ROCK engines, and also assuming I had none at this time): GP7 (3); GP38-2 (2); U38B/U25B (1); GP9 (1); SW8/900/1/etc (3).

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Mike & Shane -

Mike, I think you are right - 10 is a good number for a layout that reflects the ROCK mix of locos. I'm going to "up" that to eleven (certain locos that I just HAVE to have!), and I DO have passenger service, so adding two E8s and a F40PH (!) make fourteen for me!

Your mix is close to mine, except I will have some other Geeps standing in for GP7s:

I figure for the smaller (1500-1800 HP) geeps (4):

GP7 (2) one R&B, one Blue
GP9 (1) maroon-stripe
GP18 (1) red-yellow

then for larger (2000-3000 HP) motive power needs (5):

GP40 (1) maroon-yellow
GP 38-2 (1) blue
SD40-2 (1) red-yellow
U25B (1) maroon
U33B (1) blue or red-yellow

For switchers (2), I'm not sure yet. I have:

SW9 (1) black (standing in for the SW8/900)

The SW9 is very close, look-wise, to the SW8/900 models. The only main noticeable difference being only two stacks instead of one on the SW8/900. Try explaining to the wife why you need BOTH! Actually, I like the two stacks looks of the SW9 better!

I do have a ALCO S1 in maroon (an Atlas - nice runner, and lots of power!) - it will fill in even if it is a bit "out of time." Just hate not to use it (even if it went out of RI service in 1966).

Of course, MY RIL DOES provide passenger service (Chicago to Omaha, and local within Iowa), so they re-conditioned some E8's and the Quad City and Corn Belt Rockets still roll! I will have one E8 in original "Rocket" colors, and one in maroon with yellow wings. And I will have my RIL buy and repaint a F40PH for passenger service! I was thinking BLACK with the BLUE "R" for that one - what do you guys think?

One of the fun things for me about this is playing "Management" and deciding the make-up of my motive power and rolling stock, and how they are going to be used.

Ain't we got fun ??!!?? :)

- George

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Yep yep, that would be one snappy lookin' F40PH. I do love those, too. I have three of them, just not for RI - I repainted two old Amtraks, one to be for HELM Leasing (but using the Reckless & Veiled paint scheme (who I named my layout after, but are now bankrupt), and one a custom-painted VIA unit). The final F40PH is an original VIA Rail from Bachmann.

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
I wonder why no one has done a GP35 in Rock Island?

The ROCK had 34 of them from 1965-80 (#7 on the top 12 list), in maroon to red-yellow colors.

Of course, I would also like them to build:

1. TA set in Rocket colors
2. H15-44 in Red & Black
3. Davenport 44-ton in maroon
4. RI wooden caboose (series 17950-17999) in b.c.r. w/ black herald, and a
5. Tender snowplow

What would you guys like to see them make ???

- George

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Hhhmmm....don't necessarily think I know enough yet to answer that question.

I was going to answer the VO-1000, cause I think they're really kewl, but I see Stewart makes one of them.

I also have yet to see a Jordan spreader for the ROCK, any color scheme. I plan to use "snow rules" on my layout whenever it snows in real life (and, living in Canada, that will be quite common in the winter), so the ROCK will either have to lease a plow from another route, or I'll have to paint one myself. However, I don't think I'd do that in blue, I haven't seen many 'colorful' snow plows. Perhaps black with white lettering on the side.

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
MIke -

FYI

In "The Rock Island Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment" book, they show two tender plows in maroon (one bordering on red) and one blue one (complete with the "R"). A rotary snowplow is shown in black, and a Russell snowplow is shown in maroon.

- George

PS I could use any of these - got a foot of snow yesterday!

- G

:eek: