Picking On The Little Guys

RI541

Hey guys,
Wasn't able to go to the train store in mass yesterday,I'll get there this week maybe.
But I did buy eneough stuff to keep me busy I got a couple of HOn bridges for my turn table,I'm sinking it into my layout,Theres a article in the Feb 2002 MR. I think this will look better than a plain turn table,It should be interesting to build,I bought two atlas bridges but thought that they'd be kinda bland,the HOn bridges are from Micro Engineering and are actualy smaller than the N-Scale bridges,and much better detailed another bonus is their in kit form and I can make them to the size I want during the construction so they wont look like a hack job.

I also got the coulpers for mr LL SW9/12 and my RS15 for my work train thats in progress , the RS15 isn't a good engine its old and dont run good but it'll look good on a siding until I can repower it I also got some more assorted couplers to have on hand.I also got a coupler assembly tool that should keep the spings from sailing across the room:eek: ,

There is another pictuer a a RI tank car on page 116 its yellow and part of a work train.

Mike
I'll try to find the magizine with the tank cars this afternoon.

Shane

IMRL393

Originally posted by rockislandmike
On a totally related note, are either of you guys members of the RITS? Is it worthwhile????

I am not - at this point. Like you Mike, I have been trying to find out if it would be worthwhile to join. I note that the RITS website is in some need of some updating - especially the model RR list. That makes me wonder how active the RITS really is. Last year they did have representatives at the Galesburg MRR show. If they are there again this year, I plan on talking to them about the organization.

How about you, Shane ?

- George

brakie

Frist did the iddy biddy hatches come with the reefer kit? I sure don't SEE them!:D :eek: Now,all jokes and cutting up aside,I have seen alot of nice Nscale layouts. I modeled in N scale in the 80s.I still keep up with it. I model in H.O. now.But,who knows?

RI541

Hey Guys,

I'm not a member of the RITS,For one theres not much information in there that was usful to me,I live too far away to actualy benifit being a member.But i was going to contact them to see what else they had to offer.

Mike,
Still no luck with the tank car pictures but will find them eventualy.

Brakie,
Thats not a reefer its a standard box car,Heres a early reefer:

Shane

Attachments

• reefer.jpg
    reefer.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 85

RI541

Mike,
You stated that your wife does trains? Does she have her own layout or do you share?

My wife likes the Bangoor and Aroostook in HO, I call her a shelf modeler she has a shelf about 12 feet long with 2 locos and the rest cars,she also has cars in storage,I got a custom painted Kato GP for her birthday she loved it, I also painted her a caboose one year for christmas.She doen't get into like I do but she's fun to take to the shows,Shes got real good eyes and can spot an RI at 50 paces;) . The last show we went to she found four cars that I dont have,god love her.

George,

Is the RI popular where you are?

The train show should be loaded with RI stuff if it is.The show I go to is mostly local roads,but it seems to reason.

Shane

IMRL393

Being in the area I'm in, the Quad Cities of ROCK ISLAND, BETTENDORF, DAVENPORT, and MOLINE, the ROCK is very popular!

It was here that the first railroad crossed the Mississippi - and of course, it was the Rock Island Lines!

However, many of the out of area dealers that come to the MRR shows (Galesburg and GATS) don't seem to realize the RI's popularity - or just don't have the RI stuff to sell.

But there's alway some that do - quess who gets my money ???

And yes, that's THAT Bettendorf - where they made the RR rolling stock trucks. The town was actually RENAMED to get the industry to settle here!

:cool:

- George

RI541

Mike,

Ive got the maitanace car but not the rest,I used the car to model an N-Scale version.

I also have a Lionel switcher #0058 in RI, My father in law gave it to me he had it for a few years on his layout but a burst water pipe destoyed that.I had to do some serious cleaning to the switcher but it run at least.

I've been doing a lot of painting for him,He went with a ficticous rail road and I some how got volenteered to do the paint work,He tells me what he wants the car to say and then the rest is up to me.

Shane

rockislandmike

DRATS. I was hoping to pick up a P2K GP7 off of ebay, and some guy named 'routerock' outbid me. gggrrrr........... oh well, i entered the max i was willing to go, and he still beat me.

i've also decided to give in to the blue devil, and i'm gonna order me those athearn blue gp38-2's this weekend.

IMRL393

Sorry Mike -

Better luck next time!

By the way - it wasn't ME that got it !!!

(I've already got one!)

You have the right idea, though, about e-Bay - when the bid goes thru the roof, it's time to quit!

But the P2K GP7s pop up on e-Bay all the time - just keep looking and bidding and you will get one!

Was it the older "wings" version (which is what I have) or the newer non-wings ???

I'm also going to order a blue Athearn GP 38-2 in a month or so. Don't get the last one at Walthers, now!

;)

- George

RI541

Hi Guys,

I know how much you two love those GP38-2's,I myself think their nice.They sure are powerful looking.

While I was looking for the tank cars for Mike (no such luck yet) I found a Acticle on detailing the GP38-2 in RI blue.The numbers are 4313 (the Glenn L. English) and the 4300 (the Rock Islander).They tell you what the part is who makes it and how much it costs(1999)and they number the parts and show you where to put on the loco.They also give you the paints to use.

The arcticle is in the March 1999 issue of Railmodel Journal.I you cant find the magizine E-Mail me and I'll send you copies of the article.

Shane

PS. George,
I think Andy (KF4JQD) moved and hasnt came back to the gauge yet,I'm sure he'll be here when he can.

RI541

Mike andGeorge,

My wife warned me about guys like you two,

You two always talking about buying from ebay so I went over to have a look,just a look I told myself,well I found a Life-Like BL2 in N-scale.Marron too I dont have that one I've got the blk/red.

I'm not sure what happened next but now I'm the high bidder.I hope I get it,the auction ends at 11:00 am.

I have a question about ebay, I went three differant times and saw three differant auctions on trains,one had 89,000 plus entries then one had 1,700 plus entries and the last had only 1,300 plus entries.

Is there a search engine that will give you all the train stuff in one catagory? I couldnt remember what I used to get in to the big one.The differance between the small ones was I typed model trains and model railroads.

ebay does have alot of stuff there,I went through the whole thing and it took some time.

How is the sevice Have either of you had any problems getting your stuff?

Shane

rockislandmike

No problems yet. *ALWAYS* check the seller's feedback (after the seller's name, it has a number - I like it to be at least 250, and if there's more than 3-5 negatives, I will not bid).

From time to time I'll take a chance on somebody with a lower score who hasn't been around for a while (sometimes you can get things cheaper that way too), but you are taking a chance.

From the main menu....
Models & Crafts > Model RR, Trains > N Scale

From there, you should be able to see a horizontal menu in the middle of the screen.

They've changed it a bit recently, I liked 'going going gone', it only gave me the stuff ending in the next five hours (the closer you can bid to the end of the auction, the better). They've taken that away, and just have 'ending first' now.

At any menu level, you can type in a search term, and click the box that says to search that category only. So, for example, **I** go to the HO Scale category instead, and search for "ROCK".

Hope those tips help.

RI541

Mike,
Thanks,I've never bought anything online I'm the type that needs to pick things up and look at them before I buy,So this will be a learning exsperiance.

Did you see my post on the GP-38-2's?

Shane

rockislandmike

Yes yes I meant to reply to that but it was late at night and I obviously forgot (got some prototype photos that I wanted to post to one of the ng I check out too but forgot that as well).

Would definitely like to see the article. How do you propose we do this?????

RI541

Mike,

I think If you go into my profile and e-mail me a note that should give me your e-mail address to send it back,I dont know how you feel about posting your e-mail address here.I dont thinkMy profile gives out my e-mail address it justs asked if you want to e-mail me.I'm not sure how it works I think I'll look into that.

We'll figure it out

Shane

RI541

Mike,

That will work I just e-mailed myself and it gave me the address that it came from off the forum.

Shane

RI541

Mike,
I got the bid on the BL2, shes going to make a wonderful part of the collection,The best part is shes the newer version with flywheels so I wont have to install them myself. Thats worth to $20.50 I paid for her.

Now how do I get her in here with out the wife seeing????????:eek:

I'll be sending you the article on the GP38-2's Hope you get them,

They are in black and white but good photo's.

Shane