**PIC HEAVY** Bad day gone.... GOOD!!!!

LocoIndy76

Jan 6, 2007
Greenfield, In
Had to go to my wifes work to help her pack up all her stuff. She is resigning from being a special education teacher since she is pregnant and she wanted to be in a less physical environment. She works in Anderson and it is a 1.5hr round trip and I usually spend my morning relaxing because I work 2nd shift + 4hrs OT. Today I would be using most of that time helping her. However on the way home(just outside her school) I saw this train leaving the 29th and Madison St. yard!!! The consist was 2 CSX engines and about 30-40 hoppers. It backed 9 miles to a grain elevator in Emporia, In. There was a man riding on the steps on the front car and there was a man in a red Chevy with a red flag that met it at all unmarked(i.e. not lights or crossbars) crossing!!!!! It was pretty cool! Here’s the pics!!!!

Stopped for a second… Blocking about 3 crossings.. Not sure why???

Here we go again!

Another crossing

Heres the elevator. I didn’t have time to wait on the train.. Had to get home to get ready for work… If you look REALLY closely there is a guy in this old switcher warming it up to take over for the two CSX engines!!!!!!!!

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
I don't recall seeing any identification on the unit the last time I was there, but it appears to be ex-Southern Indiana, or at least of the same heritage as their 103.

Emporia Grain's Alco S2 switcher was originally the Lehigh & New England 611. It was the first of 6 Alco S2 switchers acquired by the LNE. (The LNE was a small, eastern Pennsylvania, coal-hauling railroad that was abandoned in 1961) This Alco S2 may well be the only diesel on the LNE roster that remains in existence.

alcos2fs.jpg

LocoIndy76

Jan 6, 2007
Greenfield, In
Emporia Grain's Alco S2 switcher was originally the Lehigh & New England 611. It was the first of 6 Alco S2 switchers acquired by the LNE. (The LNE was a small, eastern Pennsylvania, coal-hauling railroad that was abandoned in 1961) This Alco S2 may well be the only diesel on the LNE roster that remains in existence.

alcos2fs.jpg

Yep, that's it!!! :thumb: Cool!