[photos] RWD-4 MM 12/1996

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cygielski, Aug 20, 2006.

1. cygielski

cygielski Member

This airplane has been bugging me for a while. Though it was a (none too successful) 1930 Challenge contestant, I was mostly interested in it as an early design of the RWD bureau, which later went on to design a number of really great sports planes - including the RWD-6 and RWD-9, winners of the 1932 and 1934 Challenges.

(Here’s some more about RWD-4’s illustrious descendants: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_1932. Here's more on the RWD bureau: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RWD_(aircraft_manufacturer))

I was warned that the Maly Modelarz kit is not very good, and unfortunately I can confirm this - Mr. Baczkowski seems to have been a consistently poor designer. Many parts don’t fit, many of the most obviously symmetrical ones aren’t, the underside of the wing mid-section lacks any coloring. I won’t get into the details – if you’re actually going to build the plane, I’ll be more than happy to answer any questions privately.

Despite the problems, it was possible to build something that resembles the original aircraft. I departed from the original kit in several points:
    -I painted the gray parts of the kit with very dilute silver paint, in order to simulate the original finish, which consisted of aluminum particles dispersed in lacquer;
    -I painted the red bits red, since the kit had a lot of printing problems (white splotches);
    -I separated out the control surfaces, which were part of the wings/stabilizers in the original kit;
    -I embossed the ribs on the wing and control surfaces.

PS. The model is still missing some details - aileron and rudder pushrods, fuel tank cap, etc. I will be putting these in as time allows – I haven't exactly been complaining about having too much free time recently ;-) .

2. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I've got to say you've done a very nice build. What did you use to mark the doors, a drafting pen?
  3. july1772

july1772 Member

You should be proud of yourself. Despite the kit's shortcomings, you've manage to produce a good looking model.
  4. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Looks great. I sure wouldn't guess at any problems with the design.

5. Alcides

Alcides Member

The model is awesome.

Really a great plane. I can't believe you have problems with the kit.

6. cygielski

cygielski Member

Thanks for the kind words. I'm pretty surprised at the results myself - on at least two occassions I was ready to chuck the thing in the garbage and forget about it.

rmks2000: the doors are marked in the original kit, I didn't do anything with them.
  7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Very nice looking plane Simon.

It seems to me that your modeling skills were put to the ultimate test here.
    Garbage in, masterpiece out! (garbage, seems kind of harsh but you know what I mean)

You really did an excellent job of bringing this baby to life.
    I really like the embossing work that you did on the wings. That adds so much realism to the model, it's like icing on a cake!
    Great job Simon! Very well done! You have brought forth the beauty, out of the beast! Kudos to you!

8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Beautiful craftsmanship, Simon,

I really like the ailerons and the wheels. Very neat and realistic.

Bengt :grin:
  9. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

Thanks for the pix and the helpful, warning comments. I got this kit too and I thought of tackling it after my present one. Guess I will scan it and check the scans very thoroughly for inconsistencies.
    This is a really masterful build. It´s charme equals that of a neatly built Peanut Scale model.- Which is one of the highest compliments I can give! :)
  10. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Good looking model, I especially like the control surfaces and the undercarriage.
  11. cygielski

cygielski Member

Oh, come on, the embossing is pretty run-of-the-mill stuff for fabric covered surfaces - I've seen plenty of others do it, including on this forum. Having said that, I am pretty pleased with the ailerons.
    And yes, I did a "Golden Bear suicide build" - though I was risking all of $1.50 I had forked out for the kit, and in an emergency could have picked up another copy pretty much any time (sometimes it pays to live in Poland :) ).

PS> Don't get down on yourself about the Fw-189, which is about four times the model the RWD-4 is (I believe that was a double issue, while the RWD is one of two planes included in a single).
  12. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

Do you plan to build the RWD-5 that was included in this kit too?

Greets, Martin
  13. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Great work on the repainting. It looks really good.
    Great work!
  14. cygielski

cygielski Member

Martin - no, I'm not planning that one for the time being. I've got other plans that have nothing to do with aviation.