Photos of Russian battleships Evstafey model

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
Hope this works. I've been struggling with attachments.

Img_0491.jpg

Img_0492.jpg

Img_0490.jpg

S

sdk2knbk

Nope, not a kit, yet another of Greg's many beautiful scratchbuilds.

Scott K.

C

cgutzmer

That is great! Looks like the attachments are working well for ya. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.
Chris

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
Golden Bear, Cgutzmer, Scott K., B-Manic: Thanks for your complements.

Cgutzmer: I ended up posting the pictures to the gallery (It took a little fiddling around as the gallery is set up a little differently) & linking the pictures there to the forum. I couldn't get the attachment feature to work.

Evstafey was, as Scott K. said, not a kit. She had a very interesting combat career, but she was a pretty simple and plain-looking design, which may be a deterrent for modelers and kit-makers. She was a member of the Russian Black Sea fleet and very active in WWI. The Russians had an excellent plan to use their most modern predreadnought battleships to act as a unit to counteract the modern German battlecruiser Goeben. On Nov. 18, 1914, the Russians engaged the Goeben at Sarych Point. During the battle, Evstafey scored 14 hits on Goeben while being hit herself 4 times and forced the German battlecruiser to retire. The other Russian units were neither hit nor did they score any hits themselves.

S

sdk2knbk

"but she was a pretty simple and plain-looking design, which may be a deterrent for modelers and kit-makers."

Not to me! The "plain-ness" is a definite plus as far as building these ships. I find them very interesting due to the fact that they were still "pure" battleships. No radar, no AA, just (mostly) big guns to fire at other ships with. Which is not to say I have no interest in later ships, right up through the Iowas and beyond, but as a modeler, I'm a bit intimidated by all of that secondary armament, AA, rafts, radar, etc...

Predreadnoughts and WWI dreadnoughts , battlecruisers, and superdreadnoughts? Oh, yeah, the more, the better!

Scott K.

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
Thanks again, Scott, Carl, & Barry.

Barry: I will try to shoot a picture of my Russian predreadnought fleet for you, but I will have problems with the focus even though the models are very small compared to your 1/200 scale models. I will post it a little later.

Carl: One of these days, I will post a build thread since you ask (my next model project will probably be the Japanese battleship Yashima), but it may be a while since I haven't done much on my current project (Tsesarevich) for several months.

Scott: To tell the truth, I have not made any WWII era or later ship models. I read somewhere that beginning warship modellers should start with WWI ships because of the absense of deck clutter, including the AA, directors, radar, etc. I have never advanced beyond that stage although I hope to do a Littorio, an Alaska, and a Richelieu one day.

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
Barry asked me to show a picture of the ships I have built so far. Below is a shot of the Russian predreadnoughts built to date. My long range plan is to build at least two more one day (Tsesarevich & Andrei Pervozvanny).
russian-ship-models_0349.jpg

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Thanks for the photograph looks like the Russian equivalent to the Spithead review of the fleet a wonderful collection.

YuG

Jun 22, 2007
blogs.yahoo.co.jp
Wow!!! really nice pre-dreadnoughts.
Inspired by Carl's Hoche I became interested in pre-dreadnought. Now your attractive small ships drag me into pre-dreadnought further.
I am looking forward to seeing Yashima. She is beautiful too.

alaimo@jcu.edu

I need a Pin up girl. . .
Apr 18, 2007
Out of curiosity do you use magnifiers or any optical assistance?...I am starting a thread with this question too!

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
Alaimo@jcu.edu:

No I do not use any magnifying equipment. Being nearsighted, I just hod the parts near to my face to examine them. This tactic is working less well these days. A couple of weeks ago, while working on a sighting hood for a secondary turret, I discovered that I had been positioning it down sideways instead of right-side-up. That gave me cause to pause. I haven't worked on my model since. A side bar to my story: I just now took another look at my secondary turret & see that I have glued both sighting hoods right-side-up, but in the wrong positions--Argh!

alaimo@jcu.edu

I need a Pin up girl. . .
Apr 18, 2007
I too am findinmg these issues out, I took time out, as being very nearsighted I hold what I am working on near to my face, last week however I was holding the knife when I did this and nearly poked out my eye. . .I am looking into magnifiers or some such, that's why I started the thread. The last I saw was a good option for mageyes and I will follow some of the suggestions, I will check the stores and see what works for me...bottom line, I have got to do something!...Your work is FANTASTIC and in such small detail! Thanks for the pics. . .