Photos of my diorama

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by jetrock, Aug 11, 2004.

1. jetrock

jetrock Member

Finally finished...23x23 inches of HO goodness. It's non-functional but was definitely an education in scenery techniques...

An overhead plan view, showing the general track plan from above.
    Three views from the corner showing most or all of the diorama.
    Close-up of part of the roundhouse and turntable.
    Close-up of the turntable and water tower.
    Close-up of a workbench and workers on one side of the roundhouse.
  2. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Very nice! Great job!

The stone retaining wall, how was it made and waht did you use?
  3. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Great stuff!!!
  4. jetrock

jetrock Member

The retaining wall is Campbell styrene retaining wall--essentially just clear plastic molded into the shape of a wall. It was cut roughly to shape, prepped with gray automotive primer and glued directly to the Styrofoam, then given multiple ink washes and a dry-brushing to add some texture.
  5. CharlesH.

CharlesH. Member

Very nice job!

Where did you get the workbench?
  6. jetrock

jetrock Member

The workbench is scratchbuilt from scraps of 1/16" scribed wooden sheeting, stuck together with a little Goo and ACC.. The tools are commercial castings, I forget the manufacturer.
  7. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Nice going! When do you start the layout? (nudge, nudge)

8. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

Looks great from here Jetrock. :)
  9. jetrock

jetrock Member

Actually I already have a small layout--it will now be re-started, as it was on hold for four months while I worked on this...this diorama was done for the local railroad musem. (Talk about your model railroader's dream project...someone else pays for the hobby supplies, I don't need to find space to store it, and thousands of people will see it without having to be exposed to the horrors of my messy garage!)

Of course, since I put all sorts of extra-special energy into detailing this diorama, I now see a bunch of places on the home layout that could use quite a bit of this sort of attention...