Photos of HO Layout Visits

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by atsf_arizona, Oct 21, 2004.

1. atsf_arizona

atsf_arizona Member

Hi, all,

Recently I've been able to visit two very grand HO club layouts.

On Tuesday 10/12/04, thx to Gene Mikijanic and Bob Nalbone, I was able to visit The Model Railroad Club, Inc. (TMRCI), in Union, NJ, during a business trip. One of the finest HO model railroads in the country, founded by Paul Mallery. Some great train modeling, their web site is:

Here's a teaser:

To see the 40 or so photos I took, go to my URL below and find "Volumes 1 and 2: The Model Railroad Club, Inc.":

Thx for letting me visit, TMRCI!

San Diego Model RR Museum - La Mesa HO Tehachapi Layout

Tehachapi Loop layout photos from behind the scenes

(Especially SP and ATSF fans), Thanks to the San Diego Model RR Museum, La Mesa HO Club, on Tuesday night, Oct 19, 2004, they let me visit during their work night. I took about 70 photos from *behind the scenes* of their massive, wonderful Tehachapi Loop HO layout.

Some great modeling of the Southern Pacific and Santa Fe on the Tehachapi Pass on a grand scale.

You can see these photos online at:

look in Volumes 1, 2 and 3.

Here's a teaser, a picture of Caliente on the eastbound climb towards Tehachapi Loop:

To put the photos in perspective and understand what's going on with this massive layout, have your January 2004 Model Railroader cover story article handy:

Hope you enjoy the visits!
  2. interurban

interurban Active Member

Those are great layouts.
    The detail is second to none!!!!!!!
    Thanks john.
    I did enjoy my visit :thumb:
  3. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Great photo's. I just can't get over the detail on the layout.
  4. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

What your photos of the Tehachapi loop in the San Diego Model Railroad museum have a hard time showing is the incredible elevation change from bottom to top. If I remember right (last time I saw it was several years ago), it is at least a climb of 6 feet or more through a couple of LARGE rooms. I found it very impressive to have to climb stairwells to keep up with the trains.
  5. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

That was the very thing that has delayed finishing the Tehachapi layout. The stairs weren't handicap friendly, and they have had to delay finishing the layout until they could engineer ramps to enable wheel chair bound guests to follow the trains. I think they have the ramps in now and are proceeding with the construction of the remainder of the layout.
  6. atsf_arizona

atsf_arizona Member

That's right, they've finished the construction of the 2nd level viewing area, it's seriously well built - rebar concrete and full handicap access.

Yes, the overhead views on my web site of Caliente were taken from the upper level looking down.

The club members were saying that they're pushing hard to have the Tehachapi Loop in and running in time for the Santa Fe Historical Society June 2005 annual convention which is in Pasadena, Calif - and that convention has a special trip on the Amtrak San Diegan planned to come down to visit the San Diego Model RR Museum. I'm sure they will make it in time for the convention (smile!).
  7. San Diego Model RR Museum

I totally enjoyed looking at your photos John. I visited the San Diego Model RR Museum two summers ago when I was out west. Spent a better part of the day at the model RR museum taking vids. Those guys out there were so very congenial. When they realized my vid taking was more than that of the casual visitor, they gave me access to inside the layout for better vids. The added benefit to that was these kind men also narrated and sent around special train runs just for my vids! After looking at your photos, I am headed upstairs to my train room to watch my San Diego vids again.

Nick Weber
    New Orleans
  8. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks for the photo's and link John! :thumb: :thumb:

It's going to take quite a while to browse through all the photos on the site, but what I've seen so far is AMAZING!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

9. FM 1446

FM 1446 New Member

Those are absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!@
  10. atsf_arizona

atsf_arizona Member

Hi, all,

I was fortunate to visit another large club layout a couple of weeks ago, Allegheny and Western Layout of the West Island Model Railroad Club, Farmingdale, Long Island, NY (it's about 20 miles east of JFK Airport).

This is also a spectacular HO layout, 50' x 66'. Coal hauling, heavy freight and passenger, long trains from huge staging yards, Northeastern US city and mountain scenery, great scenic detail.

Thanks very much to the West Island Model Railroad Club (Farmingdale, Long Island, NY) for having me as a drop-in guest on Friday night 11/5/04.

They were kind enough to allow me to take series of pictures, which I
    organized into a virtual layout tour:

And look for 'West Island Model RR Club, Volumes 1, 2, 3'. Hope you enjoy the show!

Here's a teaser - the Julius Kupcewicz Memorial Viaduct:

If you are close enough to Long Island to visit, the club is having their annual
    Open House this month on the weekends, Friday-Saturday:

Nov. 12, 13, 14
    Nov. 19, 20, 21
    Nov. 26, 27, 28

Friday Nights: 7:30-10 p.m. * Saturday and Sunday Afternoons: 1-4 p.m.
    Admission: Adults $4.00---Children up to 12 years old-FREE!

If you're in the area, I recommend stopping by, it'll be worth the visit. In the Community Webshots photo albums above, you'll see the amount and number of trains the club was preparing in staging for running at the open houses.

Their web site, including directions, is:

If you're able, hope you enjoy the show!
  11. 6-Speed

6-Speed New Member

Those are amazing pics. Thanks!
  12. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

:eek: Unreal layout :eek:
  13. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Really nice, thx for the pics!