Photography tips and tricks...

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
In this thread http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?p=183465#post183465 , HPRL suggested that we start a thread for photography tips and tricks. I volunteered to start with the first trick. In this thread http://www.the-gauge.com/thread18581-just-watchin-the-freight-roll-by.html , I could not figure out how to photograph the engines with their running lights activated under low light conditions without having them all blurry. Solution: I had my wife hold on to the end of the train so that her hand was out of the shot and then I turned on the throttle about 50%. Thus, I had engine lights but no motion. Hmmm... I guess that would not be a problem on a DCC layout but it is a tip never the less. Anyone else????

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
pretty cool, i actually was messing around with taking photos with the lights off too

i put my camera on a tri-pod, then i checked and made sure all options were on manual and were how i wanted, then i snapped a picture of the spot without the train, with the train off, and then once again with my hand in the picture, holding it in place at full throttle, allow train smoke and lights to be seen, then i opened it up in photoshop CS2 and erased my hand... having the photo of just the track, and the engine off, all with the same exact photo angle, camera settings, and focus; allowed me have the proper content to easily erase my hand, with very little effort

and an idea i had, but never tried, was to shape something to put under the train engine, that would lift it off the track just enough to hold it in place, but allow power to flow, soo you could power up the train, without it moving

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
TrainNut said:
In this thread http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?p=183465#post183465 , HPRL suggested that we start a thread for photography tips and tricks. I volunteered to start with the first trick. In this thread http://www.the-gauge.com/thread18581-just-watchin-the-freight-roll-by.html , WHICH NOBODY HAS COMMENTED ON YET :cry::cry: :cry: , I could not figure out how to photograph the engines with their running lights activated under low light conditions without having them all blurry. Solution: I had my wife hold on to the end of the train so that her hand was out of the shot and then I turned on the throttle about 50%. Thus, I had engine lights but no motion. Hmmm... I guess that would not be a problem on a DCC layout but it is a tip never the less. Anyone else????
Just to address a few things, your starting a tips and tricks thread for photography is great. There are lots of people here that would be eager to lend their expertese in this area. I hope they do, I have a lot to learn as well.:wave:

As for your photo post reference, that is a fine shot you posted last night. Don't be too upset if someone doesn't respond right away, remember, you posted that well past 10 PM our time, that equates to after midnight on the east cost, and around 4 AM in the UK. Not too many people wandering around train forums that time of the day. Some people won't be back on here until later today, so hang in there. :D :D

And just a word on how you got those lights on bright, that's one way to do that, but I'd be a bit concerned about what it is doing to the engine. If the wheels are turning in place, you're talking about them turning on the rails causing wear and friction to both as well as tension on the couplers. If they aren't turning, then the motor is being held and that ain't good either. Kinda like holding a rat by the tail, he isn't going anywhere, but he isn't happy either. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I would try to find a way to get to turn the light on without powering the motor.

HPRL

Dec 31, 2005
SW Ohio
I will take your opinion and try re-shooting transportation photo contest picture. I am using a 3.1 pixel Sony CyberShot. When I shoot close up photographs they usually get blurry. However, look at my photo again with the Blimp, if you cup your hands like you are looking through a telescope of a tube, the air ship looks a little 3-D. :D

http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?p=183465#post183465 ,

JVRR

Jun 22, 2005
Louisvile, Kentucky
As for your photo post reference, that is a fine shot you posted last night. Don't be too upset if someone doesn't respond right away, remember, you posted that well past 10 PM our time, that equates to after midnight on the east cost, and around 4 AM in the UK. Not too many people wandering around train forums that time of the day. Some people won't be back on here until later today, so hang in there.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
hey i am wandering trian forums around 4:00 a.m. i live on the east coast.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
JVRR said:
hey i am wandering trian forums around 4:00 a.m. i live on the east coast.
Well, I said, "not too many" I didn't say nobody..:D :rolleyes: I'm here sometimes as early as 4 AM Phoenix time, but I gotta get to sleep pretty early to do that.:sleeping::sleeping:

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
ezdays said:
Just to address a few things, your starting a tips and tricks thread for photography is great. There are lots of people here that would be eager to lend their expertese in this area. I hope they do, I have a lot to learn as well.:wave:

As for your photo post reference, that is a fine shot you posted last night. Don't be too upset if someone doesn't respond right away, remember, you posted that well past 10 PM our time, that equates to after midnight on the east cost, and around 4 AM in the UK. Not too many people wandering around train forums that time of the day. Some people won't be back on here until later today, so hang in there. :D :D

And just a word on how you got those lights on bright, that's one way to do that, but I'd be a bit concerned about what it is doing to the engine. If the wheels are turning in place, you're talking about them turning on the rails causing wear and friction to both as well as tension on the couplers. If they aren't turning, then the motor is being held and that ain't good either. Kinda like holding a rat by the tail, he isn't going anywhere, but he isn't happy either. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I would try to find a way to get to turn the light on without powering the motor.

Do you have to make so much durn sense?!:eek:ops:

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
HPRL said:
I will take your opinion and try re-shooting transportation photo contest picture. I am using a 3.1 pixel Sony CyberShot. When I shoot close up photographs they usually get blurry. However, look at my photo again with the Blimp, if you cup your hands like you are looking through a telescope of a tube, the air ship looks a little 3-D. :D

http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?p=183465#post183465 ,

That is the one problem with most of the Sony Cybershots, no macro for close up.

That is why I purchased the Fuji E500 4.1Megapixel. With it's Macro and Super Macro settings, I can get get as close as 2.6cm and get a great shot. Of course wheneve the marco is envoked, I need to use a tripod.

HPRL

Dec 31, 2005
SW Ohio
Hmmm...Interesting fact about the Sony CyberShot. When it first came out it was bolstered to be a great camera. I will have start looking for better camera and start passing around the hints for B-day and Fathers day. :D :D :D

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
So your wife held on to your caboose while your train was running...?? There's gotta be a dirty joke in there somewhere... ;) :D

I've always used Adobe Photoshop to "spruce up" my photos, if possible...I can add smoke & steam, dust, & I can brighten up those dim yellow headlights, of even add a headlight where there was none...
I know some people think ofthis as "cheating", but I disagree...No it isn't "real", but the model train isn't "real" tom begin with...The whole object of this hobby is to take something that isn't "real", & try to make it look like it is...Photography gives us anotrher avenue for that pursuit...

L

lester perry

I don't know how to use Photo Shop. In fact I don't think I even have it. I use a 35mm SLR with 35 mm wide angle lense or some times I borrow a Kodak Digital camera. I check my exposure keeping the apperature as small as possible. This usually means a time exposure of 2 seconds or more. I use one light other than the layout lights, it is a 500 watt quartz flood from Lowes that I purchased for small remodeling contruction job I had a few years ago. Take my time and shoot.
Les

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
I've found that a block of wood makes a great quik stabalizer for those fast macro shots. It's not as good as a tripod and remote and you have to trash a few pics that come out alittle fuzzy, but 8 out of 10 times I get usable in focus shots. Most of the bad shots are because of my poor lighting or settings.

Speaking of settings, make sure the light type setting is set for the kind of light(s) you are using. I was having the dickens of a time getting the color to look right for a particular model I was shooting, then I realized that I had the camera set to outdoors, but was shooting with incadenscent bulbs. It was like night and day.:rolleyes:

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Will_annand said:
I don't know if I could hold the camera steady, with my wife holding my caboose sign1

"Oh...so ya like t' take photographs, do ya? wink, wink...nudge, nudge!" ;) :D :D ;)

HPRL

Dec 31, 2005
SW Ohio
Photo Tips & Tricks my friends. We need to get back on the subject and quit playing with everybody's cabooses.

sign1