Photography Lighting

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Just thought that I'd pass this along for those of us ( including me) who have trouble with lighting our photos.

In the latest issue of Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette ( came in the mail Sat.) there's an article by Lane Stewart on how to light model photos for digital cameras using ordinary light bulbs. He gets some pretty astonishing results.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hey Jim, The article is a bit lengthy but after reading it several times I see that its just photo lighting 101. He uses ordinary clamp on light fixtures and uses a 100 watt bulb for the key light, a 60 watt bulb for the flood light and a 25 watt bulb for the fill light keeping all lights equi-distant from the subject. His main point is that in using a digital camera the photo is easily manipulated/corrected on the spot and that multiple exposures for the best effect are not required as with a film type camera.

We are most fortunate to have Shamus here on the board who is "The Master" of model rail photography. Perhaps if he is feeling up to it we can get him to give us all a lesson on lighting. Pleeeez Paul!!!:) :D

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Cid,
Thanks,
There are loads of articles in the Academy/Archives, just click on "From the start" and all will be shown.
Apart from photography, there are articles on Tree making - Scratchbuilding - Making Trestle bridges and many more.

Shamus