Photo wanted

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Ashrunner, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Not quite a model item, but related to a model. Besides, I'm the moderator so I can ask this here 8v) Anyway, I am sure everyone has seen the two paper models of the B-52 offered by Fiddler's Green and GPM. Both have a shark-tooth nose on it. One of the things which is bouncing around in the back of my mind is that the timeframe that aircraft flew, the Air Force didn't allow nose art on their aircraft. Plus, the only unit which could have the shark-tooth theme was units that could trace their linage back to the Flying Tigers of WWII. One such unit was the wing at Clark AB in the Philippines. It was home to 13th Air Force headquarters which the units of the Flying Tigers went to when they were transfered to Army Air Corp control. At least that is my memory right now and I don't feel like researching it on the net. Now for the real reason for this post. SAC owned all B-52s (maybe not the NASA birds) up until its disbandment in the early 90s. SAC was a stickler for regulations and I can't see the command allowing one of its birds totting the shark's teeth theme. So I started looking for a real photograph of the real bird wearing that paint scheme and I have not found one. Not in any books I have, not on the net and not in any book in the library. So, if anyone out there has a copy of a photo showing that bird or any B-52 sporting the shark's teeth, could you scan it, and mail it to me at ? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Ashrunner,

You got me thinking about that too! :?:

I went through my books and I found in Rene' J Francillon's book VIETNAM: The War in the Air there is a profile painted by Keith Fretwell of a sharkmouthed BUFF. I did not find any actual pics of a plane but maybe this is where it all started.

The profile has a SAC emblem painted on it and the BurNo of 50677. It is painted in Std SEA camo on top and black on bottom.

Anyway hope this helps, or at least can get to going on finding out if this was a real 52 or just a pigment of somebodies imagination! :wink:
  3. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Thanks for the info Bowdenja. A friend of mine laid his B-52 In Action book on me one day about a week ago (one I have looked for, but keep forgetting to get) and there on page 44 or thereabout was a photo of 677 with the Shark's mouth painted on it. It was a local command decision to allow that bird to fly with those markings. There is also a photo of a KC-135 with the same markings on the nose, again authorized by Col. James McCarthy who was the commander at Andersen when the BUFF flew so painted and at Korat AB in Thailand when the tanker flew so marked. I guess he liked the motif...hehehe. Interestingly enough, on page 12 is a photo that almost stopped my heart. Pictured is B-52H 60-0028 as it looked at Kelly AFB, Texas in March of 1973. A couple of weeks earlier, I was standing on the B-52 ramp at Kincheloe AFB, Michigan watching the nuclear alert birds respond to a Green Dot 8 exercise. The first bird in line rolled off and the second, 0028 began its roll. Moments later, I watched the bombbay area sprout flames, and then the rear gear collapse. I immediately shut off my refuel that was in progress, pointed to the bird and yelled "Broken Arrow!!" and ran in the opposite direction. A couple of hours later, I was one of three people assigned to hand pump off the aircraft, 28,000 gallons of JP-4 so the bird could be lifted, the special weapons onboard inspected and removed, and the bird moved to maintenance. When it was put into flyable condition, it was flown to Kelly AFB, in San Antonio, Texas for depot maintenance and repair. The person who pumped in the gas that day so 60-0028 could fly to Texas? Your's If you have the opportunity to see the photo, look closely at the rear gear. There are no gear doors on the aircraft. It was flown to Kelly gear down all the way, as there was too much damage to the rear gear to do anything more than lock them down. I didn't think any photos existed of this aircraft outside of extremely difficult to locate Air Force archieves. To find one of the aircraft in the condition I best knew the aircraft is fabulous. I am trying to locate the photographer now so I can get a framable copy of the photograph. Hopefully I will succeed. It sure is a small world. 8v)